Sosso

Chinese Democracy: Rock in Rio III (2001) vs. Rock in Rio VII (2017)

Rock in Rio III (2001) vs. Rock in Rio VII (2017)   

140 members have voted

1. 1. Chinese Democracy

• Rock in Rio III (2001)
    • Rock in Rio VII (2017)

It's time for a new poll :lol: Which perfomance of this song do you like better? 

Edited by Sosso

Hard to say. I really love the early performances of the song, but Chinese is a highlight of the NITL shows. From those two shows, I'll lean towards Rock In Rio III, but comparing to the 01/02 performances as a whole to the NITL era, I'd say the performances over the last few years is superior.

• Like 1

Voted RIR III at first but I actually change my mind. The NITL version of this is much, much tighter and even though ‘17 RIR was a nightmare this song wasn’t. Fortus nails the Buckethead solo, the harmonies are great, and Axl’s voice is pretty damn awesome. 

Yea, the Rio III performance of this song is better than the Rio VII performance, but overall I like the NITL version better than the early versions.

• Like 1

I like to rir3 version. I like the shorter solo but the noodling during the final verse in 2017 is good

2 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

A song is best played live by its original musicians.

Not always. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ezosk said:

I chose 2017 because I was there. 

What a concert to attend. I bet it was wild

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Not always. 

Bob Marley's original is thousand times more passionate, intense and haunting than Clapton's snooze fest. LALD would have been a better example. ;)

As for CD that song doesn't get me too excited but when I want to hear it I prefer it with Robin Finck and Buckethead on guitars. Slash made an effort when the tour kicked off but he became very boring the longer the tour went on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Not always. 

Worst possible example. Boring.

• Like 1

I voted 2017, RIR III was a cool gig and historical for nuGNR, but nothing beats having Slash on lead again, like its supposed to be

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I voted 2017, RIR III was a cool gig and historical for nuGNR, but nothing beats having Slash on lead again, like its supposed to be

Not really the question though is it...

19 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Obviously I picked the performance by the original band. Don't get me wrong, Robin's replacement is a great guitar player and all, but it just ain't the same.

Slash is a much better replacement for Robin than DJ Ashba. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Slash is a much better replacement for Robin than DJ Ashba. 

no matter in what context, but to call SLASH a REPLACEMENT, is one of the most ridiculous things i'v ever read:facepalm:

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, EricA said:

no matter in what context, but to call SLASH a REPLACEMENT, is one of the most ridiculous things i'v ever red:facepalm:

He was the replacement for Tracii Guns, don't you remember? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 2

That would be a fair fight.

I don't particularly like thec early version of this song before bumble added his parts. 

So 2017 for this poll. 2006-2014 for anything else.

Voted III.

Instrumentally its definitely missing something but i kinda like the work-in-progress-ness of it.

• Like 1

III also has the original "If your ass was your head you could tell" lyric

That adds to the cringiness of the song along with the chinese stew and masturbation lines :lol:

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

Another thread comparing Nu Guns to possibly the worst NITL show... 

There are so many of these "versus" type threads that compare a good Nu Guns performance to a terrible NITL performance. Or comparing peak Nu Guns to VR when they hated each other.

I don't get it... do you need validation? 

Nu Guns is finished, it was a largely unsuccessful era with 1 album that not too many people like and endless touring that ended up in smaller and smaller venues. 

Just be happy that we don't have to go through that again.

• Like 1

I agree with the post slighly above - the late 2006 versions (right after Bumble added the fills and the song returned to the setlists) were the best ones. 

BUT I also have to say - I love the old Bloody Roses remaster. I'm not sure which TWO performances were used to make this blend - probably Pittsburgh and Boston 2002, but it might have been other shows. but the final mix has TWO Bucketheads in there. mindblowing shit.

Axl sounds pretty good at Rio 2017 but this is like asking do you want 1990 Michael Jordan or 1998 Michael Jordan.

Slash's riff is slow. It's not a song being played by enthusiastic youngish men.

Robin's killer riff was diluted.

Rio 2001 all the way to the bank.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That would be a fair fight.

I don't particularly like thec early version of this song before bumble added his parts. 

So 2017 for this poll. 2006-2014 for anything else.

In b4 takedown

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Nu Guns is finished, it was a largely unsuccessful era with 1 album that not too many people like and endless touring that ended up in smaller and smaller venues. 

Unlike most people it seems, I don't need other people to validate my tastes. I listen to what I want.