Chinese Democracy: Rock in Rio III (2001) vs. Rock in Rio VII (2017)

Rock in Rio III (2001) vs. Rock in Rio VII (2017)   

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hard to say. I really love the early performances of the song, but Chinese is a highlight of the NITL shows. From those two shows, I'll lean towards Rock In Rio III, but comparing to the 01/02 performances as a whole to the NITL era, I'd say the performances over the last few years is superior.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Not always. 

Bob Marley's original is thousand times more passionate, intense and haunting than Clapton's snooze fest. LALD would have been a better example. ;)

As for CD that song doesn't get me too excited but when I want to hear it I prefer it with Robin Finck and Buckethead on guitars. Slash made an effort when the tour kicked off but he became very boring the longer the tour went on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Obviously I picked the performance by the original band. Don't get me wrong, Robin's replacement is a great guitar player and all, but it just ain't the same.

Slash is a much better replacement for Robin than DJ Ashba. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Slash is a much better replacement for Robin than DJ Ashba. 

no matter in what context, but to call SLASH a REPLACEMENT, is one of the most ridiculous things i'v ever read:facepalm:

Edited by EricA
  • Like 1

Another thread comparing Nu Guns to possibly the worst NITL show... 

There are so many of these "versus" type threads that compare a good Nu Guns performance to a terrible NITL performance. Or comparing peak Nu Guns to VR when they hated each other.

I don't get it... do you need validation? 

Nu Guns is finished, it was a largely unsuccessful era with 1 album that not too many people like and endless touring that ended up in smaller and smaller venues. 

Just be happy that we don't have to go through that again.

• Like 1

I agree with the post slighly above - the late 2006 versions (right after Bumble added the fills and the song returned to the setlists) were the best ones. 

BUT I also have to say - I love the old Bloody Roses remaster. I'm not sure which TWO performances were used to make this blend - probably Pittsburgh and Boston 2002, but it might have been other shows. but the final mix has TWO Bucketheads in there. mindblowing shit.

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

That would be a fair fight.

I don't particularly like thec early version of this song before bumble added his parts. 

So 2017 for this poll. 2006-2014 for anything else.

In b4 takedown

3 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Nu Guns is finished, it was a largely unsuccessful era with 1 album that not too many people like and endless touring that ended up in smaller and smaller venues. 

Unlike most people it seems, I don't need other people to validate my tastes. I listen to what I want.

The answers are complete bias (for now). In 2017 we had Slash, Duff, Dizzy and Axl together, a hell of a setlist and a tight, decent and positively handled band. Yes, Axl wasn't in top form, but he wasn't in 2001 either. So, anyone who votes for III is just a fan of those band, or prefer to trash Axl's voice every time when he gets a chance. For me, 2001 is rather a joke than a real return of GnR.  Strangely to see these answers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1