Slash on SiriusXM: "I think Axl would like to do it" (new music)

All these interviews and always the same kind of answer about new music. I think it's obvious that Slash really wants to do it, but the thing is: Slash was never what prevented GNR to release new music. The ginger was/is. All of you who get your hopes up with these answers are fooling yourselves IMO. It has to be Axl wanting to do it and there's seriously no indication he does. And with Slash saying 'I think Axl would like to do it', it seems they never even discussed it :shrugs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, dgnr said:

All these interviews and always the same kind of answer about new music. I think it's obvious that Slash really wants to do it, but the thing is: Slash was never what prevented GNR to release new music. The ginger was/is. All of you who get your hopes up with these answers are fooling yourselves IMO. It has to be Axl wanting to do it and there's seriously no indication he does. And with Slash saying 'I think Axl would like to do it', it seems they never even discussed it :shrugs:

Thats about spot on, the "band" want to do it... but the last puzzle don’t....

Sorry for telling you slash, but the next time you are in a studio recording again, it’s just another Slash album:shrugs:

• Like 2

Axl hasn't really talked publicly since China Exchange, That was the last time he opened up in regards to new music and he sounded like he wanted to do it.

Regardless of what might be in Axl's mind now, one thing that these Slash interviews confirm is that Axl really has a lot of unreleased stuff sitting in the vault.

• Like 2

hunker down and go makes me think of 2 things. WW2 and ST Louis. 

seriously though. the question has been asked many times and no one has said "NO" to a new album.

we just need to look for cryptic posters on billboards over the next 10 years. 

I feel like Slash said everything he needed to say in the last 20 interviews about new material. the ball is in Axl's court now, I remember from the china exchange thing axl talked about guns not releasing a lot of material and the small catalog. seemed like it bothered him somewhat.

Get on board and hunker down

Just now, EvanG said:

This is really all we've been hearing the last decade... ''Axl has a lot of material, everyone wants to do it''... and then years go by and nothing happens. The only difference is that we are hearing this story from Slash now.

could be a big difference. Slash could be the reason Axl will want to do it. perfect musical chemistry did exist between them, it could be a good final chapter with Slash also playing on tunes Axl brought, but also maybe not at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

could be a big difference. Slash could be the reason Axl will want to do it. perfect musical chemistry did exist between them, it could be a good final chapter with Slash also playing on tunes Axl brought, but also maybe not at all.

Sure, maybe we can put more meaning to Slash's words than to the words of the other guys who've told this story many times in the last decade... time will tell. We can only hope.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

This is the thing - maybe Slash and Duff being back is what actually makes it happen. If the ‘chemistry’ is there as it was before then I am convinced we will get new music.

Guns are on hiatus until SMKC is finished.

Slash is trying to promote his new album. 

Announcing a Guns album now makes no sense. 

It would completely destroy any interest that anyone has in SMKC.

Pressure will build on Guns before they even start. 

The answers he has given are the best he can do without putting both his bands in a worse position.

Edited by jacdaniel
  • Like 4

You have to be vague in this era of piracy.

If Slash says Guns N' Roses have finished songs for a new record, somehow those songs will make their way online, and everyone gets a free download of new Guns N' Roses songs.

Seems like a few musical acts have recently been successful at "dropping" a new record online, without any advanced notice. Thus, no one had the chance to steal the music ahead of time. If I'm someone in the band or management plotting a release strategy of new music, that's how I go about it. Just say it's been discussed, the guys want to do it, then just drop something out of the blue when no one is suspecting it.

• Like 1

Just now, DTJ80 said:

This is the thing - maybe Slash and Duff being back is what actually makes it happen. If the ‘chemistry’ is there as it was before then I am convinced we will get new music.

I remember Axl saying something like the players on chinese were the right people for making the album and the previous line up worked live. not his exact words though. so if it's a question of artistic confidence, it could be different this time around with the current line up. Axl never really tried to do it with bumble and dj.

22 minutes ago, EvanG said:

This is really all we've been hearing the last decade... ''Axl has a lot of material, everyone wants to do it''... and then years go by and nothing happens. The only difference is that we are hearing this story from Slash now.

It's a significant difference though. I'm not saying that it will happen this time, but Slash's word has automatically more weight just because of the fact that he is Slash.

Axl said in China Exchange that he had played his material for Slash and Duff, and that it'd be great if Slash wanted to play on some of it or write something with him. Now Slash confirms that he knows about Axl's material and he has heard it; moreover, he seems willing to work on it, which makes things less complicated than they were in the past. Also Slash says he has written some stuff for GnR too. Would he go and say that in public without having played that stuff for Axl?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's a significant difference though. I'm not saying that it will happen this time, but Slash's word has automatically more weight just because of the fact that he is Slash.

Axl said in China Exchange that he had played his material for Slash and Duff, and that it'd be great if Slash wanted to play on some of it or write something with him. Now Slash confirms that he knows about Axl's material and he has heard it; moreover, he seems willing to work on it, which makes things less complicated than they were in the past. Also Slash says he has written some stuff for GnR too. Would he go and say that in public without having played that stuff for Axl?

I agree, it's what I said in my previous post, having Slash say this might mean more than hearing this from Fortus or Dizzy. It's just that it's hard not to be pessimistic regarding the prospect of new GnR music, as we all know. But let's hope it's going to happen this time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, veronicajanice said:

Look at all the Slash HATERS crawling out of the walls yuck........wow Agendas agendas

Would you be taking the same shots if a member of your  "NuGNR" was talking about new music or about this same thing?

Umm, what do you mean Slash haters?  I definitely see frustration that new material has been "all talk, no go" for every year besides 2008, and frustration that Slash seems to be giving the same non-answers as the rest of the band regardless of lineup the past decade but I don't see any hating on Slash here really

Personally I am a bit more optimistic than some in this thread, because of the fact that it is Slash and Duff in the band wanting to do more material. This isn't Guitar Player #37 that Axl brought on board, these are THE guys, and to me I still am optimistic that they both can work with Axl to get something out at some point.  But like always, seeing is believing so I am not going to turn that cautious optimism into expecting anything

Edited by WhazUp

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Another interview...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-on-re-teaming-with-myles-kennedy-and-the-conspirators-i-wanted-to-come-back-and-finish-what-we-started/

-------

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash recently spoke with SiriusXM DJ Jose Mangin about "Living The Dream", his new solo album featuring Myles Kennedy and THE CONSPIRATORS. A few excerpts follow (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On juggling two bands:

Slash: "I've been working with Myles and THE CONSPIRATORS since 2010, so up until just recently, everything I was writing was earmarked for that. But then, joining up with GUNS N' ROSES in 2016, that's a whole new thing for 20 years, at least, so I didn't do anything CONSPIRATORS for a year and a half. Everything was focused on GUNS N' ROSES. Then, when we took a sizable break in December of last year, come January, I got back together with THE CONSPIRATORS and started revisiting some of the music that we wrote during the 'World On Fire' tour, and also music that I wrote on the spot in January and February, so then [I was] completely focused on THE CONSPIRATORS. Come May, the album was mixed and mastered, and I went straight back to rehearsal for GUNS N' ROSES. So, you just shut one down to do the other, and vice versa."

On his memories of the Whisky a Go Go, the famed West Hollywood nightclub where his tour in support of "Living The Dream" kicks off next week:

Slash: "I actually had a job as sort of a house roadie at the Whisky. This was, like, 1984 or something like that. I would just hump gear for whatever band was coming in at the time. I remember what sticks out to me was there was a performance artist named Johanna Went who did a gig at the Whisky. When I say performance artist, you sort of imagine people that do this whole sort of, like, eclectic show where they bring a lot of props and do a lot of crazy shit on stage. Hers was, like, pigs' blood and body parts and all this crazy shit, so we had to clean that shit up after the show. [Laughs] I can't find the words to describe how left of center this gig was. It was definitely a mess. Then, I remember the Whisky shut down for a long time. It was actually closed for most of '85, I think, so GUNS didn't play there until '86. I remember that first Whisky gig was the first night I ever wore a top hat. I went to this store that Taime Downe from FASTER PUSSYCAT used to work at, and I went in there and stole a top hat because I was looking for something to wear for the show. I got the top hat and I stole a concho belt, because I didn't have any money. I went back to the apartment that Axl [Rose] and I were squatting at, because we were hiding from the cops. We were staying at [former manager] Vicky Hamilton's apartment, and I cut the belt, put it around the hat. We were playing the Whisky that night, and I remember that was the sort of premiere gig of the whole top hat thing. It got stolen, like, two days later at The Cathouse. I was passed out in a booth, and I woke up and my hat was gone."

On "Living The Dream":

Slash: "THE CONSPIRATORS have been near and dear to my heart since the beginning, back in 2010. We've been working our butts off, up until a certain point and then I went off to do GUNS N' ROSES, which was great, but I wanted to come back and sort of finish what we had started back in 2015, which was, like, the very beginnings of pre-production for our next record. This was all happening during the 'World On Fire' tour. Fast forward to 2018, we go back in the studio and it's just great to see Myles and Frank [Sidoris] and Brent [Fitz] and Todd [Kerns], and hang out and start jamming again. I think that we put together a record that's a really good evolution from the last one that we did, like a good progression. I'm just happy to be doing it and happy to be going out on the road with those guys, and then at this point, balancing between THE CONSPIRATORS and whatever GUNS N' ROSES is going to do next."

On the future of GN'R:

Slash: "Everybody's asking. We haven't focused on really, you know, doing... we haven't, you know, sat down and [said], 'Okay, we're working on a new record.' But at the same time, I know that's something that I want to be optimistic about. I think Axl would like to do it; I want to do it; Duff [McKagan] wants to do it. Axl's got a ton of material; I've got some material; so we just have to sort of hunker down and go, 'Okay, we're going to do this,' and that hasn't happened yet, but I feel pretty positive it'll happen at some point."

On Slash Fiction, his film production company:

Slash: "I've got four movies in different stages of development, and two that I just did deals on. They're all in the horror vein — thriller and horror vein. It's a very slow-moving animal, this whole movie thing. The whole time behind the scenes, I've been working on this while I'm doing everything else. I just don't talk about it too much, because there's nothing to tell until you have a release date. [Laughs]"

Great interview, plus very funny this stories about the Whisky gig and this performer Johanna Went😁.in every new interview Slash told different things.

• Like 1