Slash on SiriusXM: "I think Axl would like to do it" (new music)

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

You mean the Axl's publishing thing? I don't think it affects much. And he released CD after he had made that deal anyway.

Yes, but he had to give all the money to mercuriadis...and we all know that If he releases something now, Mercuriadis will go to the court 'cause of that contract. 
And I think Axl doesn't scratch his ass on chainsaws...so he doesn't want to get trough all that pain in the ass once again, because in the end, he'll have to give all his hard-earned money to mercuriadis.

5 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Yes, but he had to give all the money to mercuriadis...and we all know that If he releases something now, Mercuriadis will go to the court 'cause of that contract. 
And I think Axl doesn't scratch his ass on chainsaws...so he doesn't want to get trough all that pain in the ass once again, because in the end, he'll have to give all his hard-earned money to mercuriadis.

But we cleared up on the other thread that Sanctuary was bought by Universal in 2007. And CD was released after that. Merck had nothing to do with that and has nothing to do with it now.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Even if that were true, couldn’t they just release it under slash or duffs publishing, or even the old partnerships publishing?

i think anything CD related would have been under the guns n roses entity which excluded slash and duff

10 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Even if that were true, couldn’t they just release it under slash or duffs publishing, or even the old partnerships publishing?

i think anything CD related would have been under the guns n roses entity which excluded slash and duff

Publishing doesn't have anything to do with releasing the songs; it's not a record label. It has to do with the artist's royalties and ownership/copyright of the compositions. The deal Axl made  in 2005 was leasing his publishing to Sanctuary for the next 20 years, in exchange for getting advance money for his future royalties from the back catalogue and not released yet compositions and keeping at least partial ownership/copyright. It didn't mean that he wouldn't be getting any royalties at all for that time period, but that part of the royalties (how big depends on what the deal said) would go to Sanctuary. Then Sanctuary was bought by Universal, so Axl's deal went to Universal with it. Then Universal sold Sanctuary to BMG, but as it seems it has kept Axl's publishing.

To make a long story short, what this whole thing means is that Universal gets part of Axl's publishing royalties for the period the deal is in effect.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

If they ever put something out people will be disappointed and crap all over it.

Because it most likely will be crap and thus deserving of the scorn heaped on it. 3/5 of a band that is ten years past their prime. Hardly seems promising.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is absolutely going to happen. 

Three reasons:

1. Slash's divorce to Perla. He needs to earn well for the rest of his life to support her. GnR has to be productive in order to do that.

2. Axl, Duff, and Slash forgot what it was like to be on top of the world until NITL. The insane amount of money thrown at them has more than likely changed their MO. The Appetite boxset being fast tracked is not a coincidence.

3. They are now a touring juggernaut. To continue, they need new music. No touring, no money. Simple as that.

Axl’s been touring the same songs since 2001. He doesn’t care about there being a new album to justify a tour.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Because it most likely will be crap and thus deserving of the scorn heaped on it. 3/5 of a band that is ten years past their prime. Hardly seems promising.

I don't think that there will be another Guns N' Roses Album during the next ten years, but I don't care about that anymore. I have six albums, dozens of bootlegs and I have also visited the actual concerts. 

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Axl’s been touring the same songs since 2001. He doesn’t care about there being a new album to justify a tour.

True. But if they do that, they're going to be downgraded to smaller venues. To continue playing stadiums, the band needs new music to tour behind. Even an EP would suffice really. And it's going to be a guaranteed blockbuster purely on novelty alone as the first new music with Slash in 20+ years. They would be insane to not put something out given the financial windfall that would come from a new global stadium tour. That being said, given that it's GnR/TB,  they'll probably do the exact opposite of what makes the most sense.

On second thought, just disregard everything I said previously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RONIN said:

This is absolutely going to happen. 

Three reasons:

1. Slash's divorce to Perla. He needs to earn well for the rest of his life to support her. GnR has to be productive in order to do that.

2. Axl, Duff, and Slash forgot what it was like to be on top of the world until NITL. The insane amount of money thrown at them has more than likely changed their MO. The Appetite boxset being fast tracked is not a coincidence.

3. They are now a touring juggernaut. To continue, they need new music. No touring, no money. Simple as that.

These guys all have very expensive lifestyles (Axl and Slash in particular). There isn't really a choice like in the 90's to just part ways over musical differences - they have to make this work. If they can't get it together creatively, we're just going to get a cobbled together POS with Slash/Duff pasted over what used to be Buckethead and Tommy's parts. But make no mistake, there will be new GnR product after SMKC wraps up. 

I totally agree on all counts

And to add to that - reuniting GNR gave Axl a point of no return as well in the sense that he will not be able to sell a Slash-less GNR now that Slash has returned.  If Slash and Duff leave GNR again, I can imagine everyone going "wait I just saw them live WITH these people, why would I pay to see them now?"  So I feel like that is more incentive for Axl to keep Slash and Duff happy creatively as well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Publishing doesn't have anything to do with releasing the songs; it's not a record label. It has to do with the artist's royalties and ownership/copyright of the compositions. The deal Axl made  in 2005 was leasing his publishing to Sanctuary for the next 20 years, in exchange for getting advance money for his future royalties from the back catalogue and not released yet compositions and keeping at least partial ownership/copyright. It didn't mean that he wouldn't be getting any royalties at all for that time period, but that part of the royalties (how big depends on what the deal said) would go to Sanctuary. Then Sanctuary was bought by Universal, so Axl's deal went to Universal with it. Then Universal sold Sanctuary to BMG, but as it seems it has kept Axl's publishing.

To make a long story short, what this whole thing means is that Universal gets part of Axl's publishing royalties for the period the deal is in effect.

Ah cool, yeah that makes sense. But seeing as the big dollars is is touring anyway, I can’t see that being the reason to hold up music.

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I totally agree on all counts

And to add to that - reuniting GNR gave Axl a point of no return as well in the sense that he will not be able to sell a Slash-less GNR now that Slash has returned.  If Slash and Duff leave GNR again, I can imagine everyone going "wait I just saw them live WITH these people, why would I pay to see them now?"  So I feel like that is more incentive for Axl to keep Slash and Duff happy creatively as well

axl has only been able to sell a GNR-less version of GNR because people believed that there was a GNR version of GNR that was basically axl minus GNR!

its fabulous! people really believe axl! axl can sell anything to people! they buy it all! djs, buckets and whatever else axl sells!

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

i am afraid you are correct

except for one thing

axl been touring the same songs since 1986

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I remember Axl saying something like the players on chinese were the right people for making the album and the previous line up worked live. not his exact words though. so if it's a question of artistic confidence, it could be different this time around with the current line up. Axl never really tried to do it with bumble and dj.

Id like to know why axl didnt release a cd2 or cd3. If the record company at the time wouldnt release anything or fund it, he could have self funded it himself if he truly belived in the quality of the songs as a whole and made things happen on his own and especially if he thought the way forward and future of  the band was with the current players . For all axls talk about how he liked the current chidem players and the band  it seems he had one foot forward to the future and one foot back with the past and he wasnt sure or confident which direction to go.

Edited by Sydney Fan

18 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Id like to know why axl didnt release a cd2 or cd3. If the record company at the time wouldnt release anything or fund it, he could have self funded it himself if he truly belived in the quality of the songs as a whole and made things happen on his own and especially if he thought the way forward and future of  the band was with the current players . For all axls talk about how he liked the current chidem players and the band  it seems he had one foot forward to the future and one foot back with the past and he wasnt sure or confident which direction to go.

e-fucking-xactly

probably he thought that the world would hail him as a VISIONARY ARTIST after the release of his solo album. once his solo album was basically IGNORED, even with the GNR tag, he probably realised that he wasnt as great a VISIONARY ARTIST as he previously believed 

32 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I seem to remember Axl being in somewhat of a pinch financially for a bit there....or am i making this up? :lol:

Edited by -W.A.R-