Slash on SiriusXM: "I think Axl would like to do it" (new music)

Some of us have followed this circus closely for 15 years.

Verdict: 

Slash's comments are truly worrying.

If they decided to start the new album process this fall, the album would be out for Christmas 2020 at the earliest. 

And there is no indication that this is the case.

Our best chance of getting anything sooner, is if Axl releases CDII. But that was due out in 2010, so I guess we can't even begin to fathom how "complicated" this shit is. 

Axl always hides behind the fact that all the complications surrounding GNR are 10000000x worse than any other band, but by every logic such a world view only falls back on himself.

I have no doubts whatsoever, that Axl's grudge with the rec company could be a "small" thing like their refusal to pay for a big music video. And because of some little detail like this, they have been in a stand off since 2009.

The other possibility, of course, is that there are no issues with the record company at all, and that this much used explanation is just a convenient excuse used by fans to intentionally/unintentionally hide the sad truth.

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Id like to know why axl didnt release a cd2 or cd3. If the record company at the time wouldnt release anything or fund it, he could have self funded it himself if he truly belived in the quality of the songs as a whole and made things happen on his own and especially if he thought the way forward and future of  the band was with the current players . For all axls talk about how he liked the current chidem players and the band  it seems he had one foot forward to the future and one foot back with the past and he wasnt sure or confident which direction to go.

I've never understood why the label would spend $13 mil on 3 albums of material and only release 1. Surely they'd want their money's worth and release all 3 to maximise profit?

IIRC Guns only had one album left on their contract after CD (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and, so goes Axl's telling, the label and various managers tried to sabotage nuGuns ("murky Merckiness") and force Axl's hand to a reunion, or else miss their chance to be the ones to release a reunion album. 

I think most people are reading to much between the lines. Actually it's pretty obvious. Slash has some stuff written for Guns and he heard what Axl has to offer. 

That doesn't mean shit.

We don't know if Axl likes what Slash has written. We don't know if Axl is interested at all to release anything at this point. Well, maybe "interested" is the wrong term since I think he is but he seems mentaly not ready.

Only reason why Slash says he thinks Axl wants it is because he can't say anything else. What else should he say? He gets asked all the time the same questions. "Yeah, I got all this stuff and everybody wants to make a new record but Axl doesn't?

This seems like those type of relationships where both parties talk to other people about how they feel (Axl - China Exchange, Slash/Duff - various interviews) but don't ever have a direct conversation with each other about it. It's nice that they all get along enough now to tour together but I'm not harbouring any illusion that they hang out or phone each other up for cosy chats. An album might happen but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alfierose said:

This seems like those type of relationships where both parties talk to other people about how they feel (Axl - China Exchange, Slash/Duff - various interviews) but don't ever have a direct conversation with each other about it. It's nice that they all get along enough now to tour together but I'm not harbouring any illusion that they hang out or phone each other up for cosy chats. An album might happen but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Hate to say it alfie but sounds like we are back to 96 again in terms of the band not communicating or unsure what everyone else wants to do. I understand everyone is asking slash about new music but unless everyone has actually discussed it then slash ,  shut up and not talk about it in interviews.

One thing's certain, Axl still wants do some more money grabbing 'Greatest Hits' tour (maybe another Vegas residency too) and I'll be right there in the queue to get my ticket.

About new music I'm pretty sure that Axl doesn't like the idea of sharing credits w/Slash & Duff some re-recording of CD2 materials... Just sayin...

I’m more interested in what Slash thinks of the new stuff that Axl has played for him. It’d be nice to hear Slash say something like “there are some great new songs that Axl has that I’d like to put some guitar parts down to...”

The fact that he doesn’t say that, says more to me than what he is actually telling the press. 

55 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I’m more interested in what Slash thinks of the new stuff that Axl has played for him. It’d be nice to hear Slash say something like “there are some great new songs that Axl has that I’d like to put some guitar parts down to...”

The fact that he doesn’t say that, says more to me than what he is actually telling the press. 

He said this in Classic Rock:

I think we’re going to go well on into the future. I mean, Axl’s got a ton of shit that he got recorded already, so we’re just going to get in there and just start getting into that thing, and then if we do a record and then do a tour, I could see that cycle going on endlessly.

So, although he hasn't said something like "they're great", he has clearly said that he wants to work on them, which I guess means that he doesn't hate the material and likes at least some of it.

6 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I've never understood why the label would spend $13 mil on 3 albums of material and only release 1. Surely they'd want their money's worth and release all 3 to maximise profit?

IIRC Guns only had one album left on their contract after CD (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and, so goes Axl's telling, the label and various managers tried to sabotage nuGuns ("murky Merckiness") and force Axl's hand to a reunion, or else miss their chance to be the ones to release a reunion album. 

I've never understood how recording studio time costs so much.  At $1,000 an hour that's 13,000 hours.  That would be like 12 hours a day, every day for 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

The only GNR related thing that really interests me at the moment is, what the heck is Axl doing at the moment. Apparently he's not working on the next AC/DC album, so is he working on the next GNR album? Has Slash sent him his song ideas and is Axl creating lyrics for those songs right now? Or what is he doing?

If it was Slash, I'd be curious as he can't sit still. 

Axl has proved again and again that he can do nothing and stay out of the public eye for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

The only GNR related thing that really interests me at the moment is, what the heck is Axl doing at the moment. Apparently he's not working on the next AC/DC album, so is he working on the next GNR album? Has Slash sent him his song ideas and is Axl creating lyrics for those songs right now? Or what is he doing?

Eating.

One thing goes beyond any question:

The record company would do whatever it took to promote and release new music that featured Axl and Slash.

I have to believe that after Azoff led Axl down a blind alleyway and Interscope washed their hands of the Chinese Democracy project, relationships between Axl and his label reached an all time and permanent low. Having broken even on their investment, they no longer really wanted anything from Guns N' Roses nor felt the need to treat them with kid gloves. While they still owned the masters to the rest of Axl's material, there was no momentum toward putting it out; they simply didn't care about Guns N' Roses, anymore.

I'm willing to bet that was extremely, extremely significant towards Axl's creative drive. Knowing he had nothing but cordial "loan sharks" as business benefactors. For somebody who was already cynical, this may have been the biggest reason his creativity stagnated to the point of suspended animation.

But.... now that the brand is reinvigorated and a hundred shows have been played without a hitch...there is no way that they will not have the full support and passion of the business end. The question remains, will Axl trust this army of suits after the cold war they've been through?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

The last thing I ever want to see is Slash turning Axls' garbage music into a song. Just start new. Don't take the easy way.

When he did that with Estranged ir ended up being the best song ever created... So I wouldnt mind if it happened again. 

I just hope Slash and Duff convince Axl to sing with REAL DRIVE

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

When he did that with Estranged ir ended up being the best song ever created... So I wouldnt mind if it happened again. 

I just hope Slash and Duff convince Axl to sing with REAL DRIVE

Estrange is a classic rock song while after that Axl changed his direction drastically 

I feel like with each interview, Slash gets closer and closer to saying "yes, we are making a new record"

Whether that is true or not is something else, but I get that vibe from what he has been saying. 

If it does happen, it won't be soon. 

We may be waiting a few years on this one. Hopefully in 5 years everyone is in good health still....

23 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I feel like this is a read between the lines situation. In almost every recent interview, Slash stops just short of confirming that they're working on new material. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet but there's a little bit of hope. 

Maybe Slash wants to keep anything new a secret! lol

You know it's all up to Axl anything to do with GNR.

Guess time will tell. Maybe after the tour is over and done with.

I'm curious as to how anything new from GNR will go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I've never understood how recording studio time costs so much.  At $1,000 an hour that's 13,000 hours.  That would be like 12 hours a day, every day for 3 years.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=55615#p55615

It seems like it was quite easy to spunk thousands away per hour

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

This was discussed in another recent thread, where it was established that he was concentrating on building up his Fornite rank.

• Like 1

I'm just sick of speculation. If they release something that's super cool. If they don't that's ok too. I'll be listening to my other favorite bands and releases.

Even more gone are the days most of us would pee our pants to listen to a new leak. Although the recent wave of leaks was exciting and valuable, but I guess hardcore fans have become more mature in terms of not getting excited as fast as they would 15 years ago...

Edited by ©GnrPersia

14 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I feel maybe because the record company wouldwant to see how 1 release went in terms of sales. The other possibility is the record company have wanted a reunion before committing any further ,  and then look to releasing any stuff as part of any long term reunion committment.