Atheism to be Included in UK RE Classes

Dazey

Also good news. :D

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/04/half-uk-population-has-no-religion-british-social-attitudes-survey

For the first time, more than half the population say they have no religion, and the generation gap on religious affiliation is widening, according to the British Social Attitudes survey.

53% of all adults describe themselves as having no religious affiliation, up from 48% in 2015. The latest figure is the highest since the BSA survey began tracking religious affiliation in 1983, when 31% said they had no religion.

WINNING!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Religion shouldn't be taught in schools at all.

Disagree. Religion has been massively important all throughout human history in almost every single area of life. Whether one believes or not, the impact (good and bad) of the various religions in art, in the preservation of western knowledge after the fall of the Roman Empire, as a foundation of the basic ethics systems of most societies, in art and even in science, and of course in history through warfare, cannot be denied. 

By the way, having a lack of religious affiliation doesn't make one an atheist. I believe there is *something* to the universe, I just don't subscribe to any religion. I would think if the respondents were given that option, the poll would reflect a lot of agnostics as well as non religious theists.

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/04/half-uk-population-has-no-religion-british-social-attitudes-survey

For the first time, more than half the population say they have no religion, and the generation gap on religious affiliation is widening, according to the British Social Attitudes survey.

53% of all adults describe themselves as having no religious affiliation, up from 48% in 2015. The latest figure is the highest since the BSA survey began tracking religious affiliation in 1983, when 31% said they had no religion.

"Having no religious affiliation" =/= "I do not believe in anything." It just means people choose not to narrow their beliefs down to ancient labels anymore. An agnostic is not a Richard Dawkins, New Atheist militant but an agnostic would have no religion. Likewise, someone like myself who believes in a higher power yet does not subscribe to the dogmas of man made religions, would also respond as having no religious affiliation. 

The world never be militantly atheist. At best you will have non religious theists and agnostics and pantheists.

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

The Church is Christs' Tomb. Looks like He's rolling away that stone once again! Christ unchained. Some mistake a forest fire as a death and forget its provides nutrients for future growth. This precipitates revival. Im tickled to hear this good news!!

18 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

In public schools I agree 100% But if you enroll in Notre Dame University. I don't know how religion can be kept out.

12 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

"Having no religious affiliation" =/= "I do not believe in anything." It just means people choose not to narrow their beliefs down to ancient labels anymore. An agnostic is not a Richard Dawkins, New Atheist militant but an agnostic would have no religion. Likewise, someone like myself who believes in a higher power yet does not subscribe to the dogmas of man made religions, would also respond as having no religious affiliation. 

The world never be militantly atheist. At best you will have non religious theists and agnostics and pantheists.

Believing in according to John, Moses or Mohamed it's just mythology. Something that brings to the world a little good but mostly lot of wrong. People are being brainwashed. My religion is better than your religion. My religion is the truth. All those outside my religion are wrong and they are gonna burn in hell. Thanks but no thank you

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Hi Miser. :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

How do you teach atheism?  I mean there's nothing to teach as such, is there?  Reason perhaps, I dunno.

Studing philosophy and science. They won't teach you. But they will help you to make the case for atheism. If you claim you are an atheist and god doesn't exsist. You have to be able to show evidence. Religion on the other hand. It's far from evidence. You read The Bible. You believe what's written there or you don't

2 minutes ago, Padme said:

Studing philosophy and science. They won't teach you. But they will help you to make the case for atheism. If you claim you are an atheist and god doesn't exsist. You have to be able to show evidence. Religion on the other hand. It's far from evidence. You read The Bible. You believe what's written there or you don't

Yeah but science already exists as a subject and so does philosophy and philosophy isn’t limited to atheistic notions.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah but science already exists as a subject and so does philosophy and philosophy isn’t limited to atheistic notions.

But that's the way you can make the case. If you are willing to make the case. For example you wake up in the morning and you see a bright yellow star in the sky ( a rarity in the uk :lol:) Anyway, one of those days. And you wonder where that bright star came from? You look for the answer.

Edited by Padme

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Never realized atheism was a religion.  Sort of hypocritical, no?  To teach it as religion education?

To be fair they're planning to rename the subject "Religion and Worldviews" which covers all bases.

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Never realized atheism was a religion.  Sort of hypocritical, no?  To teach it as religion education?

Many define religion as simply being a world-view. So you can have religions with gods and religions without gods.

I still don't think atheism deserves to be referred to as a religion/world-wide, since it is simply the absence of theism and nothing more.

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

Religion should be redirected to one chapter in a course on Social Sciences and one chapter in a course on History. And atheism shouldn't really need to be taught at all, because there is nothing to teach there. A textbook on the Atheism course would be titled "The Existence of Gods have Absolutely Zero Supporting Evidence" and have the undertitle "And Hence You Have to be a Moron, Insane or Brainwashed to Believe in Them". Then all the pages would be blank. There is nothing there. It is as silly as having courses in the non-belief in Santa Clause and Gay Unicorns.

Science, which should be the foundation of any school that is supposed to teach what we know about the world, already is secular. So any decent school based on scientific knowledge would already steer away from bullshitting the pupils with religious nonsense. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, soon said:

A little known fact about Santa Clause and Gay Unicorns is that no one views them as gods.

Well they should! They've got just as valid a claim to divinity as the god of Abraham. :lol:

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Maybe not, but apparently God has a unicorn as a pet:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/08/god-pet-unicorn-according-popular-christian-prophetess/

Seems legit. 

:lol: HAHAHA!

Im left wondering whats crazier, allegedly saying that God has a pet unicorn or alleging, as this website does, that this person is "popular" and a "christian."

Edited by soon

You mean English and Welsh schools, Dazey... I got taught about atheism and agnosticism in Scotland (statement of fact, not a dick-waving "my country's better than yours" thing). 

Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies was one of my favourite subjects at school, because I feel it really opened my mind and exposed me to a lot of ideas, without trying to indoctrinate me. I used to be very religious as a teenager, but actually through studying that subject, I entered a long process of questioning my faith and ended up concluding that most religion nowadays is just an accident of Geography, and therefore unlikely to have any value beyond a fairly outdated moral code, with no truth to the underlying metaphysics.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

You mean English and Welsh schools, Dazey... I got taught about atheism and agnosticism in Scotland (statement of fact, not a dick-waving "my country's better than yours" thing). 

I’m pretty sure I did too.  I dunno if it was as involved as like, a lengthy section of studies or whether it was even a part of RS but those words, atheist, agnostic, I learnt what they were in school.

11 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies was one of my favourite subjects at school, because I feel it really opened my mind and exposed me to a lot of ideas, without trying to indoctrinate me. I used to be very religious as a teenager, but actually through studying that subject, I entered a long process of questioning my faith and ended up concluding that most religion nowadays is just an accident of Geography, and therefore unlikely to have any value beyond a fairly outdated moral code, with no truth to the underlying metaphysics.

Which is why I think this is such a good idea. :D