Halloween (2018)

I kind of like how we're in a moment where nostalgia is peaking. Classic genre films like Predator, Blade Runner, Terminator and still now, Halloween, are being honored with direct sequels that in some case, wipe the slate clean.

The era of the re-boot is waning and the era of the re-quel is strong. With that in mind, Halloween is right around the corner.

The marketing for this film has given away a little too much for me, as I know it's going to be a simple story based on thrills. Other than that, there is little to complain about. This looks like one of those dream scenarios where the right people come together to make a sequel that captures the fascination with the original.

Yesterday, the film was screened for the first time and the audience reaction was very positive so I have everything I need to know until the release! https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/first-reactions-new-halloween-film-theyre-incredibly-good-639798

Rob Zombie should be fucking yanking his beard.

1 minute ago, Angelica said:

Curtis elevated the otherwise disposable H20 and Resurrection sequels, and this is obviously a league above those. I’m cautiously excited. 

Disagree about Resurrection. There was no elevating that trash (besides she was only in it at the beginning).

• Like 1

H20 could have been the film this one is shaping up to be.

In it's early stages, it was conceived with pure intentions to do a direct sequel that was built on tension. It failed on a creative level when the foreign business magnates who owned Halloween since the jump, iced Carpenter and Debra Hill out, over money they surely deserved. After that, it was the tail wagging the dog and the end product is pretty nauseating.

H20 really fell victim to the Kevin Williamson generation. The end product resembles something that is much less Halloween and much more 90's teen-horror. That whole Scream fad that was of the day.

I can remember seeing the film on videocassette and just being totally disappointed; they didn't get it, they dropped the ball and they ruined the best chance they had to honor the original. Twenty years later...I think the people in charge are going to sidestep those mistakes.

Saw the trailer before the Nun movie. it looks as amazing as the original Halloween. I doubt Michael Meyers will die in this one either.

I know that Doctor Loomis will be missed very much.

Honestly, I think John Carpenter just opt out of the other Halloween movies. I know he's very strong in his convictions, so I doubt anyone pushed John out of anything he didn't want to leave.

I know I remember hearing how he just wrote the script for Halloween 2 quickly and passed over the director's job to someone else. he actually admitted he just wanted the money.

Anyway, that being said, John is a producer on the new Halloween.

I love the idea of Michael being captured right after that original Halloween night and now he escapes 40 years later. This should be good. He's got to be near 65, but I bet his killing spree hasn't slowed down at all.

Also I didn't really think about it, but Michael only killed 3 people in the original Halloween movie. Somehow it seemed to be more? lol

Bet the count goes up on this one for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

ET magazine had an article about the new Halloween.

Of course, the new director called John Carpenter to get his blessing. John showed up on the Halloween set and re-did the music for the new movie.

I think the new director gave it away, by talking about how 40 years later from the first Halloween Michael Meyers is still an important part of the holiday and will probably be having another Halloween movie in another 20 or 40 years. So does this mean, Michael Meyers, lives again? lol

From what I've seen, it doesn't look too good for Jaime's character of Laurie Strode. We shall see.

I'm really hoping there's one or two fresh tracks that Carpenter comes up with that can compete and live alongside with the classic Halloween music.

The original film has about five pieces of music that are just perfect. It's really tough going up against that when you're making new music that has to evoke the same moods. From what I've heard, it's only been the original music updated with some different flourishes.

15 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I'm really hoping there's one or two fresh tracks that Carpenter comes up with that can compete and live alongside with the classic Halloween music.

The original film has about five pieces of music that are just perfect. It's really tough going up against that when you're making new music that has to evoke the same moods. From what I've heard, it's only been the original music updated with some different flourishes.

Yeah, John said he wanted to use different ways to update the original score since there's so many new ways to do music now than 40 years ago.

anyway, I'm glad most of the original score will be included. I loved the music. Carpenter did the music for all his films and I think they were all awesome. Loved the music in The Fog too and Escape from New York. It brought so much tension to them.

Not to get off topic, but as far as I’m concerned, Blade Runner is connected to those films as much as DJ Ashba is to the making of Appetite for Destruction.

There’s no direct linking of the film universes in the movies themselves, and nor would there be any benefit even if there was outside of the initial thought of “Cool, I guess.”

I love the Alien franchise, and the idea of the (ever failing) Predator franchise, but Blade Runner and it’s sequel are better looked at on their own without even trying to think of how they might be connected to other film worlds.

3 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Alright Mate?

Are the two Blade runner films separate films or reboot? I have never seen em before but might ave to give em a go now!

Blade Runner is the original and Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel.

Honestly, you probably won’t like Blade Runner in first watch. It may take a second or third viewing before you “get it”. That’s how it was for me. But now it’s one of my all time favorites and 2049 is an amazing sequel and movie itself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Blade Runner is the original and Blade Runner 2049 is a sequel.

Honestly, you probably won’t like Blade Runner in first watch. It may take a second or third viewing before you “get it”. That’s how it was for me. But now it’s one of my all time favorites and 2049 is an amazing sequel and movie itself.

Indeed, viewers in general didn't like it until the Director's Cut released ten years' later led to a ''reappraisal'' - one of those films which found its audience later (Hitchcock's Vertigo is another).

3 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Nice one mate I will give em a go

Make sure you watch The Final Cut (2007), or failing that The Director's Cut (1991), and no other version of Blade Runner. It significantly alters the film watching one of these from other cuts of the film, especially the original theatrical release (1982) which added this hammy Sam Spade voice-over (and there is other really deep metaphysical stuff it altered which I wouldn't care to ruin for you).

There are seven different versions of Blade Runner; to say its post-production was ''convoluted'' would be an understatement!

Edited by DieselDaisy

13 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I want to see this, and I almost never go to the movies anymore.  It just looks so good.

FYI talking about reboots, I JUST learned that Blade Runner, Predator and Alien are in the same "universe."  Alien/Predator, obviously, but I had zero idea Blade runner was related.

Not Predator because Scott rebooted the Aliens cannon with Prometheus, effectively removing ''the Predator elements'' from Aliens. And since then he has been suggesting through Easter eggs and statements that Blade Runner/2048 and Aliens/Prometheus are in the same timeline - nothing too heavy handed. (I do not know what to make of it personally; I am a much bigger fan of Blade Runner/2048 although I do like the original Alien/Aliens - hated Prometheus.)

The real ''Blade Runner shared-universe spin-off'' was remarkably the truly forgettable low budget Kurt Russell grunt-fest, Soldier (1998),

Soldier was written by David Peoples, who co-wrote the script for Blade Runner. Peoples considers Soldier to be a "spin-off sidequel"-spiritual successor to Blade Runner, seeing both films as existing in a shared fictional universe.[5] The film obliquely refers to various elements of stories written by Philip K. Dick (who wrote the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, on which Blade Runner is based), or film adaptations thereof. A Spinner from Blade Runner can be seen in the wreckage on a junk planet in the film and Kurt Russell’s character is shown to have fought in the battles referenced in Roy Batty’s (Rutger Hauer) dying monologue: the Shoulder of Orion and Tannhäuser Gate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_(1998_American_film)#Connection_to_Blade_Runner

Edited by DieselDaisy

I just saw the publicity for the new Halloween today. I am so damn hipped, Halloween is one of my favorite movies of the horror /slasher genre. And Jamie Lee Curtis is back? Im jumping up and down of happiness :) still curious how they bring her back in the story, after all her character died in the sequel. I guess is understandable, she has Michael genes, so you cant kill her :P fortunally

Edited by love&hates

1 minute ago, love&hates said:

I just saw the publicity for the new Halloween today. I am so damn hipped, Halloween is one of my favorite movies of the horror /slasher genre. And Jamie Lee Curtis is back? Im jumping up and down of happiness :) still curious how they bring her back in the story, after all her character died in the sequel. I guess is understandable, she has Michael genes, so you cant kill her :P fortunally

This film takes place after the first one. None of the sequels exist in this timeline.