Halloween (2018)

I saw it back to back with the original 78 film at a drive-in. Pretty ideal way to take it in.

I liked it, but it did feel like a better budgeted fan film with Jamie Lee in a starring role.

Some of it was really cool, some of it was just okay. Carpenter’s music felt underpowered,  the melodies sat more in the background. 

I think I still prefer Halloween II as the worthy sequel. The way it picks up like not a minute has passed and all the cast is right back in their  shoes. Plus, you can’t beat that Mr. Sandman tune.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

This film takes place after the first one. None of the sequels exist in this timeline.

OH I see... Kinda strange how in this movies, they just decide to ignore a whole part of the story it was created. Like I said I love Jamie Lee Curtis, and her being back feels right , because the Halloween story makes sense with Michael having an obsession to hunt his sister. Still this is why, when Hollywood has these major hits, they should be more careful with not ruining what the story, just because they want to push more and faster sequels to keep making money while they can. The main story just disappears 

Seeing Halloween in about an hour or so! So excited about it. I've read great reviews about this movie. Can't believe it. A horror movie getting great reviews.

From the previews I've seen it looks great, but I wish tv would stop showing the previews. I think it's showing too much. I want to jump for God's sake. lol

I wonder if Axl has his Halloween tree up in his house?

My issue with the film is that it’s great in pieces but as a whole, it doesn’t have much atmosphere.

It has lots of character moments that make you smile, has a couple great tracking shots and Michael is handled more appropriately than in any other film.

But there’s a flatness to the atmosphere of the whole thing. John Carpenters films, from the best to the worst, are dripping with atmosphere. David Gordon Green comes from a kind of indie drama way of filmmaking and he’s defintely weak in setting up a mood.

For all its faults Halloween II was able to keep up that very specific atmosphere. Incredible when you consider it was made several years  later.

The series should have ended after the first film in 1978: that ending, of shots of the suburbs with the theme music starting-up - ''Michael is out there and could be in your very neighbourhood'' - perfection.

Everything that has come after is utter wank and should be dispensed with.

14 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

so if im understanding this all correctly, these are the all the different movie timelines (I'll skip the third one since it isn't connected to anything at all):

1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 6

1 - 2 - H20 - Resurrection

the two rob zombie movies

1 - new movie

...Did I get it right?

Pretty much. 3 is actually really cool albeit nothing to do with Michael Myers. 

• Like 1

I saw Halloween yesterday and I loved it!

What a great movie! John Carpenter re-doing the theme and the movie music did the movie a great justice.  I didn't think it could get better than the 70's original, but it did!

Considering this movie was supposed to knock out the other Halloween movies, there were some scenes that you could have seen in the other Halloween movies too, which I thought was cool.

Jamie Lee Curtis was one bad ass! At one point, she looked like Linda Hamilton from Terminator. This Halloween was so worth it's making and I commend John Carpenter and Jamie Lee for producing this movie.

If you're a fan of the other Halloween movies and love horror movies, you have to see this.

I hope to go again with my brother and see it at least one more time in the theatre. You know you always see something different when you see a movie more than once.

I really did enjoy watching this movie and so did the other fans that were in the theatre too.

I recommend you guys stay until the credits. There were a few surprise names listed there that I didn't get at first. Also at the very end of the movie there is another little tidbit that leaves doubt as to the ending. Just awesome.

I'm so glad that for once a re-make was as great as the original.

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

Pretty much. 3 is actually really cool albeit nothing to do with Michael Myers. 

I did like Halloween 3 very much too. I love Tom Akins. I met him at a horror convention and he was just so cool. We talked for a bit and I took a picture with him and got his autograph. He was actually there to celebrate the anniversary of  the Night of the Creeps movie, but I told him how much I loved him in the Fog.

There is a scene in this new Halloween that does touch upon Halloween 3.

Just stay for the credits and you'll see what I mean. It was a nice couple of surprises.

I think this was a great way to continue the Halloween series even if it was 40 years later. It made a lot of sense to me.

On 21.10.2018 at 3:02 AM, rocknroll41 said:

so if im understanding this all correctly, these are the all the different movie timelines (I'll skip the third one since it isn't connected to anything at all):

1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 6

1 - 2 - H20 - Resurrection

the two rob zombie movies

1 - new movie

...Did I get it right?

HalloweenFlowchart.jpg?ssl=1

Saw it yesterday and thought it was disappointing. Could have been so much better. I'm not a fan of retcons and being told that all previous movies don't matter. I hated that he's no longer her brother. The Sarah Connors Laurie was way over the top and with them removing Michael's history it just made her a nutjob, waiting for something that didn't make sense, being way too affected by something that happened 40 years ago. There was no real reason for her to expect him to come after her again. And really, he didn't. It was just coincidence. Also with them removing all of Michael's history, he's just a loser who killed 5 people and spent 55 of his 61 years locked up. Hardly notorious. The whole thing didn't quite gel for me. And I'm a huge Halloween fan. Halloween is my favourite movie (and no, this one was not as great as the original, also not the best sequel) and Halloween is my favourite horror franchise.

Edited by PatrickS77
Typos
  • Like 1

On 10.9.2018 at 1:56 PM, appetite4illusions said:

H20 could have been the film this one is shaping up to be.

H20 is the film this one wants to be. As far as final confrontation goes, the H20 confrontation and Laurie is much more believable than Terminator 2-over the top-nutjob Laurie. What happened in '78 was tragic, but to think that that would dominate and ruin her life for the next 40 years doesn't seem plausible to me.

• Like 1

On 10.9.2018 at 9:24 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I love the idea of Michael being captured right after that original Halloween night and now he escapes 40 years later. This should be good. He's got to be near 65, but I bet his killing spree hasn't slowed down at all.

Also I didn't really think about it, but Michael only killed 3 people in the original Halloween movie. Somehow it seemed to be more? lol

Yes. They diminished him to a loser (as in 'not good at what he does', not that I give you the impression that I think that the undiminished Michael is a hero ;) ) who killled a measly 5 people and was locked up all his life. Hardly notorious.

Edited by PatrickS77

I saw Halloween again yesterday! Still awesome!

I did spot the Halloween masks from Halloween 3. Very cool nods to some previous Halloween movies.

Listened more to the new versions of the theme and I think it's as good as the original music. Some of the music was pretty spooky sounding.

I think there will be more Halloweens in the near future.

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, F*ck Fear said:

It's released on digit on December 28.

I'll watch it then. Back to back with the original.

You will love it! I think it was a very good movie to continue the original Halloween.

Heard they were already planning another one.

I never get tired of watching the original Halloween. It still holds up and I love the music. Even though I know what will happen, it still is suspenseful for me. Can't wait for my daughter to get older, so she can watch it with me.

• Like 1