When Are Guns Going To 'Bury' Appetite?

Its been over 30 years since AFD came out. AFD got the remastered/expanded treatment and some rare released tracks featured in the ultimate locked/loaded boxset, all I'm asking is will this be the end of Guns promoting Appetite and moving on to newer material, expand the back catalog and moving on? Yes I get AFD is one of hard rock/metals biggest selling albums but you don't get other veteran popular rock/metal bands solely focusing on one album from years past.

When is Guns going to 'Bury' Appetite and move on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I've wondered a long time (out of pure curiosity)what would happen if they dropped the AFD -songs from their set list .  How many people would turn up to their shows after that? Any educated guesses? 

Probably the 90% casuals who just go to their gigs for November Rain and SCOM. They will miss one but the other will still be there. 

Never.  Its like asking when are The Pistols gonna move past Nevermind the Bollocks or when The Stone Roses are gonna move past their debut or when Oasis will move past Definitely Maybe.  When talent levels are at a limit and you ain't of a Stones or a Beatles or a Curtis Mayfield or a Marvin Gaye level of high watermark then you tend to struggle to move past your initial mind-blowers.  Or perhaps examples like The Stones or The Beatles are unfair cuz they kinda learned in public and got better and better.  Having said that I'd take Please Please Me over Appetite any day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

People go to the shows just for those two songs? That's pretty hefty price per song. :D

They might enjoy going to the show, listening Jungle, PC and realising "Oh, those are their songs too", but Im sure casuals just go for NR and SCOM :lol:

Then theres the casual rock fans who probably knows the Appetite and Illusion hits.

And then theres us, the weird folk who still wants the band to release crash diet and just another sunday. :shrugs:

• Like 2

it was said when Axl was much younger and seemed to pump himself up by saying that to the media and maybe to himself as well. like a way for him to have extra motivation cause he probably really wanted the band to not be defined by that one album.

Appetite was never buried, but UYI was good enough imo. I don't think in those terms anyway. every album can have it's own cool vibe even if it's not as good as the best shit the band has ever recorded. like I still enjoy chinese even if I don't think it's as good as uyi for example.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I don't believe anyone has ever forced you to buy it, listen to it, or read about it. You can bury it yourself if you want.

I love the album. I just feel its still dominating Guns N' Roses, its got a high percentage of all songs being performed live at every gig, the latest release by the band is centered around it.

Just now, Edward Nigma said:

I love the album. I just feel its still dominating Guns N' Roses, its got a high percentage of all songs being performed live at every gig, the latest release by the band is centered around it.

I think it's only logical the best album of the band will dominate more than any other album. it's not like other bands don't release shitty box sets. and they played 8 chinese tunes on the last show I think, so the set list got a pretty good balance of appetite/uyi/chinese stuff. perhaps too many covers though.

8 minutes ago, Edward Nigma said:

They don't have many albums to choose from anyways :shrugs:

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You'd take Please Please Me over Appetite For Destruction? What the heck, Leonard? I'm a big Beatles fan but that's fucked up. You're a bad person is what I'm saying.

Easily.  With no hesitation.  Please Please Me doesn't have a bad song on it and its preformed on that album with an inordinate amount of glee and oompf.  The Beatles doing Twist and Shout gets me going (no pun intended) more than any song on Appetite.  Appetite is recorded for volume whereas Please Please Me is kinda deliberately moderated but stick it on a decent stereo and turn it up, its a fair ol' racket too.  Class album, perhaps my second or third favourite of all Beatles albums.  That band sounds like a Hamburg club band trying to make pop music.  It has more range than Appetite, its as danceable as Appetite and its a lot less corny than Appetite.  Appetite, in later years, has started to feel like an exercise in image projection whereas Please Please Me is, though in many ways just as calculated, just a band and their repertoire.  And the doubling up, the harmonies between John and Paul I'd take over any Axl vocal.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The good songs on Please Please Me are I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do and Twist and Shout. The rest are filler. With Appetite every song is killer. 

I completely disagree, with the possible exception of Boys (though Appetite has Anything Goes and the crap speeded up version of You're Crazy since we're going there).  Chains, There's A Place, A Taste of Honey, Misery, Anna, these songs are fantastic.  Anna is probably one of John Lennons all time great vocal takes, Chains and Misery are, though pretty standard fare, the way they are performed makes them sound joyous.  Please Please Me is a fantastic album, though quite frankly so is every Beatles release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edward Nigma said:

Its been over 30 years since AFD came out. AFD got the remastered/expanded treatment and some rare released tracks featured in the ultimate locked/loaded boxset, all I'm asking is will this be the end of Guns promoting Appetite and moving on to newer material, expand the back catalog and moving on? Yes I get AFD is one of hard rock/metals biggest selling albums but you don't get other veteran popular rock/metal bands solely focusing on one album from years past.

When is Guns going to 'Bury' Appetite and move on?

i suppose next year when they release the new album(s). apparently its a double album and they are called "illusions". you must have seen the axl interview on MTV last month he said clearly that he wanted to bury appetite. so we must finally have new music! its too bad izzy has just been arrested on that plane but i believe geffen will release him soon!

hey, did you hear the rumour that axl has a new epic song that is supposedly 19 minutes long and has axl playing piano on it? its called "cold rain" or something. apparently they will record it for the soundtracl of a new kevin costner movie tentatively called "dances with wolves"

exciting times! but now let me take a break! i have just received a fax from the fan club. i write back to your later! 

• Haha 2

Appetite will never be buried and it shouldn't be. It is my favorite album of all time and I wouldn't care if they played the whole album every night. I would love it actually. These guys are heading towards 60 years old and they are never going to top that album so why not embrace it? Due to all the turmoil their catalog is pretty thin so they may as well focus on it Appetite. I do think that their are plenty of really good/great songs from their past catalog that they should dust off from for some live gigs though.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, BadApples87 said:

The real question is when they will bury Chinese Democracy and start playing MORE Appetite!

I heat ya. You're Crazy, Think About You and Anything Goes should all be busted out once in awhile.. Out Ta Get Me deserves more love too.. That is one song that this lineup consistently pulled off and pulled off well every night.  Such a bad ass song.

• Like 2