When Are Guns Going To 'Bury' Appetite?

Wasn't the "bury Appetite" quote in context of wanting the new GNR to be even better than old GNR? 

At this point, it is what it is. They're pushing 60. There were a lot of things they could have/wanted to do together or individually that didn't happen the way they wanted it too. The made peace with each other, they're playing again together, the tours are more than successful, the shows are well received. 

3 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Wasn't the "bury Appetite" quote in context of wanting the new GNR to be even better than old GNR? 

At this point, it is what it is. They're pushing 60. There were a lot of things they could have/wanted to do together or individually that didn't happen the way they wanted it too. The made peace with each other, they're playing again together, the tours are more than successful, the shows are well received. 

Nope, that was before UYI, in 1989

EDIT

Edited by Tori72

2 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

They should play Out Ta Get Me.  I also like the Lies version of You're Crazy.  An acoustic set would be cool.  

The acoustic version of you're crazy is great.. I prefer any of the slow tempo version like the electric version on Live Era.. Axl also sings the slow tempo in his low register which still always sounds great. 

Never, but you can't blame them as artists for that being the goal. Whether or not you fail - regardless of what medium(s) you work in, your goal should be for your next work to be better than the last one, and the one after that to be better than the one before. That's all subjective. I personally like the Illusions as a whole better than Appetite. That's not the general consensus though. Appetite was the right record for the right time when records still meant something. We're in a completely different era of music nowadays, where even attempting to "bury" something from 30 years ago is foolish. 

Guns will never move on from that album, nor should they. It's what made them a household name. It's what made them wealthy. Most of those songs are classics - and should be celebrated for as long as possible by the band, and other artists after them when they are long gone. 

• Like 2

At least in the case of GNR, I don't think that they, in their mid 50's, can bury an album that is considered to be one of the classic rock albums of the 20th century, that they made in their youth where they had nothing to lose and lived and breathed music. 

That doesn't mean that they won't be able to come up with some great stuff however.  But the hype, and iconic status of Appetite is so much that nothing can bury it - and there is nothing wrong with that IMO.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

I haven't gone through all the replies here but you have to realize the feelings an artist has towards his/her own music is very different to the fans. it's quite possible Axl prefers UYI and CD over AFD...of course they aren't going to stop playing AFD songs because they know how much the fans love them.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • GNFNR 1

13 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Its been over 30 years since AFD came out. AFD got the remastered/expanded treatment and some rare released tracks featured in the ultimate locked/loaded boxset, all I'm asking is will this be the end of Guns promoting Appetite and moving on to newer material, expand the back catalog and moving on? Yes I get AFD is one of hard rock/metals biggest selling albums but you don't get other veteran popular rock/metal bands solely focusing on one album from years past.

When is Guns going to 'Bury' Appetite and move on?

Pretty sure this is not a requirement that the current band are even considering never mind losing any sleep over. Especially since it makes up the majority of most high points from any show. Fans love it. They are now one of the biggest grossing tours of all time. Why bury success? Embrace it i say.

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I will take "Bands that have only released 1 album in 20 years" for 200, Alex :lol:

And I'll take most overpriced box sets in music history for 999 $,  Alex. :P

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm not as big of a Floyd guy as you but The Wall is my favorite.

I have to admit, I wouldn't like The Wall nearly as much as I do if it didn't have Comfortably Numb on it, which makes me more of a casual fan, I guess. But IMO Shine On You Crazy Diamond is their best song, the beginning sequence is otherworldly and it's a great tribute to Syd Barrett.

Edited by Fourteenbeers

9 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

The Wall is too bloated and pretentious and doesn't come with single cuts.

It's way better than Use Your Illusion otherwise I would compare it to that.

Are you trying to hurt me? :lol:

6 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I have to admit, I wouldn't like The Wall nearly as much as I do if it didn't have Comfortably Numb on it, which makes me more of a casual fan, I guess. But IMO Shine On You Crazy Diamond is their best song, the beginning sequence is otherworldly and it's a great tribute to Syd Barrett.

I wish more people knew the complete version of Shine On. A lot of people only know Parts I - V from the compilations and live albums. For me, Part's VII - IX are where the real magic is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Oh I always thought it was a CD era quote for some reason.

Either way, it's a quote he made 30 years ago, I'm not holding him to it at this point.

Its quite obvious what he means by the quote, its not literal like 'i never ever wanna hear about this album again', like any artist worth his salt he's saying he wants to move on musically with his their next album.  And they did really. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I wish more people knew the complete version of Shine On. A lot of people only know Parts I - V from the compilations and live albums. For me, Part's VII - IX are where the real magic is.

I guess me calling SOYCD a "song" is a massive understatement. The whole piece is amazing, but the beginning is my favorite part for some reason. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1