Interview: Slash Admits Guns N’ Roses’ Songs Are ‘Sort of Sexist’

4 hours ago, alfierose said:

Lol. A number of the songs are sexist there isn't any 'sort of' about it. They are however also a product of their time. I feel it would be better to speak frankly about them in those terms rather than pretend it isn't what it is. I'm sure though he doesn't want to say anything that might draw the ire of the twitteratti and I can't blame him on that score! :lol:

'Twitteratti' :rofl-lol:

Um, Slash isn't having a good time with these interviews, is he? :lol:

Not sure those lyrics are a product of their time because we still have lots of artists writing that kind of shit and Guns N' Roses still have not demonstrated they matured in that aspect, because we may not have current music to compare to AFD lyrics, but we do have a box set released with a bunch of sexist lithographs and Slash has an Instagram full of that crap too, so..... I guess that's why he will never admit it. It's obvious he doesn't consider it wrong.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, alfierose said:

Lol. A number of the songs are sexist there isn't any 'sort of' about it. They are however also a product of their time. I feel it would be better to speak frankly about them in those terms rather than pretend it isn't what it is. I'm sure though he doesn't want to say anything that might draw the ire of the twitteratti and I can't blame him on that score! :lol:

He don't feel comfortable and don't know as answer this question:lol:

This WHOLE #Metoo movement is just gotten way out of hand. What Wienstien did was wrong, no argument there. But #Metoo had that Asia woman doing the same exact crap #hypicritemuch. I'm sure she isn't the only one, Hollywood is so corrupt and awful... Don't get me started there. 

As for more on topic, I've been saying for a couple of YEARS now that the BIGGEST problem with rock music today is it isn't sexy anymore. Bands like guns, Zep,  and others oozed sex in their music. Some of you call it "cock rock" to demean it, but you've missed the point of it. Music is SUPPOSED to be sexual!!! Elvis shaking his pelvis, hello. Those old blues artists weren't singing about "holding hands". Heck even when the Beatles DID write about "holding hands" they weren't REALLY talking about that, they were just scared to be honest about what THEY really meant. 

Sex is the NUMBER 1 ingredient for great music, rock especially. Why? It makes the musician feel the most alive, hence why they like singing about it so much. When your emotions are raw, you create better music, and sex absolutely does that. You take that away, and it slowly dies. Not just music for that matter, but art in general has AWLAYS been greatly influenced by sex. 

This is why most modern music sucks imo, it's not sexy (some exists yes, but not much in the rock world). I can hear it in the guitars, drums and bass before the first word is sang, if a song was influenced by sex. If a song has a nice "groove" or rhythm to it, I can feel the sex in the music. Which is becoming rarer and rarer. It used to be in just about every song written in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The 90s were hit and miss, (but at least hip hop had it) but since then it's going the way of the dodo bird, hip hop included (don't get me started there). 

I'm not going to disagree that some of the verbs used by Guns could be considered "sexists". I think that is a valid point, but it's also a time capsule look at the 80s and 90s imo. Having said that, those were the words they chose to use to describe their sexual experiences. They might be harsh by today's standards, but there are a lot WORSE in hip hop, are they going to attack Snoop next? As Slash stated in the interview, it's not like these girls were forced into it, they were throwing themselves at the band. Those women didn't respect themselves, so why should the band respect them?

I just really dislike this mob mentality thinking that is running ramped currently. "You must think like me, because we are right and you are wrong." Well if you are so "right" you better not have any skeletons is YOUR closet, which clearly isn't the case with #Metoo.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

57 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Not sure those lyrics are a product of their time because we still have lots of artists writing that kind of shit and Guns N' Roses still have not demonstrated they matured in that aspect, because we may not have current music to compare to AFD lyrics

We do. Slash made lots of albums, Duff had a couple too, I think, and Axl had CD. I'm not an expert, but I don't think any of those had sexist lyrics like in the AFD days?

Not specifically talking about GNR now, but I don't think we should judge artists on stuff they released many decades ago. I'd rather look at what's happening now.

And yes, it was a very different time. It was a time a famous 52 year old rockstar married an 18 year old girl he'd been in a relationship with for 5 years.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do you guys consider Snoop Dogg, Nicki Minaj, Dr Dre etc sexist too then?

Well, already you are distorting things. Slash said the lyrics are sexist. That is whats being discussed. I haven't made comment about any person being sexist. All Ive said is the post you quoted me in. :shrugs:

Sexist lyrics are just that. Shouldn't really be something to debate imo. Kinda funny when Slash is the one saying it and debate continues!

I can certainly bring to mind lines from Snoop that are sexist. Im sure Dr too. Who the fuck listens to Nicki Minaj? :lol: 

What does that have to do with Slash acknowledging about GNR lyrics? Its clearly an attempt at deflection. Unnecessary though. There are sexist lyrics. Its clear as day. We're all here so clearly we've made whatever kind of peace with that. All of us.

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

This WHOLE #Metoo movement is just gotten way out of hand. What Wienstien did was wrong, no argument there. But #Metoo had that Asia woman doing the same exact crap #hypicritemuch. I'm sure she isn't the only one, Hollywood is so corrupt and awful... Don't get me started there. 

As for more on topic, I've been saying for a couple of YEARS now that the BIGGEST problem with rock music today is it isn't sexy anymore. Bands like guns, Zep,  and others oozed sex in their music. Some of you call it "cock rock" to demean it, but you've missed the point of it. Music is SUPPOSED to be sexual!!! Elvis shaking his pelvis, hello. Those old blues artists weren't singing about "holding hands". Heck even when the Beatles DID write about "holding hands" they weren't REALLY talking about that, they were just scared to be honest about what THEY really meant. 

Sex is the NUMBER 1 ingredient for great music, rock especially. Why? It makes the musician feel the most alive, hence why they like singing about it so much. When your emotions are raw, you create better music, and sex absolutely does that. You take that away, and it slowly dies. Not just music for that matter, but art in general has AWLAYS been greatly influenced by sex. 

This is why most modern music sucks imo, it's not sexy (some exists yes, but not much in the rock world). I can hear it in the guitars, drums and bass before the first word is sang, if a song was influenced by sex. If a song has a nice "groove" or rhythm to it, I can feel the sex in the music. Which is becoming rarer and rarer. It used to be in just about every song written in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The 90s were hit and miss, (but at least hip hop had it) but since then it's going the way of the dodo bird, hip hop included (don't get me started there). 

I'm not going to disagree that some of the verbs used by Guns could be considered "sexists". I think that is a valid point, but it's also a time capsule look at the 80s and 90s imo. Having said that, those were the words they chose to use to describe their sexual experiences. They might be harsh by today's standards, but there are a lot WORSE in hip hop, are they going to attack Snoop next? As Slash stated in the interview, it's not like these girls were forced into it, they were throwing themselves at the band. Those women didn't respect themselves, so why should the band respect them?

I just really dislike this mob mentality thinking that is running ramped currently. "You must think like me, because we are right and you are wrong." Well if you are so "right" you better not have any skeletons is YOUR closet, which clearly isn't the case with #Metoo.

The Beatles were scared to be honest, shut up :lol:  I Wanna Hold Your Hand is not about shaggin’ :lol:

6 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Why is that though? Because he is the white guy. "They" won't go after the black artists because they want them on their side. #blacklivesmatter and #Metoo have to stick together.

Of course they go after the black guys, Snoop was banned from entering England at one point, with headlines like ‘GET THIS SICK BASTARD OUT OF OUR COUNTRY’, before Em’ was even a rapper rappers were gettin’ stick for that shit.

15 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

A tea of ashwaghanda, nettle and black maca can also help to get the motor turning if thats an issue

Edited by soon

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

The Beatles were scared to be honest, shut up :lol:  I Wanna Hold Your Hand is not about shaggin’ :lol:

Not true. I read or heard an interview a few years ago where they said "I want to hold you hand is NOT about holding hands." They were in their "pop star" era of the band, it was all very dileberate what they did or did not do, during that early era of the band. That's why they kinda turned on themselves in the later years. They wanted to do what they wanted to do, hence longer songs, etc. They took control of their careers starting around the Revolver album, before that they were puppets man.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

A tea of ashwaghanda, nettle and black maca can also help to get the motor turning if thats an issue

Not sure what you are implying here??? :smiley-confused2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

'Twitteratti' :rofl-lol:

Um, Slash isn't having a good time with these interviews, is he? :lol:

Not sure those lyrics are a product of their time because we still have lots of artists writing that kind of shit and Guns N' Roses still have not demonstrated they matured in that aspect, because we may not have current music to compare to AFD lyrics, but we do have a box set released with a bunch of sexist lithographs and Slash has an Instagram full of that crap too, so..... I guess that's why he will never admit it. It's obvious he doesn't consider it wrong.

Dont forget the shirts he wears and the vagina necklace.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Not true. I read or heard an interview a few years ago where they said "I want to hold you hand is NOT about holding hands." They were in their "pop star" era of the band, it was all very dileberate what they did or did not do, during that early era of the band. That's why they kinda turned on themselves in the later years. They wanted to do what they wanted to do, hence longer songs, etc. They took control of their careers starting around the Revolver album, before that they were puppets man.

Not sure what you are implying here??? :smiley-confused2:

They had a running joke where John used to sing ‘i wanna hold your glands’ as a joke during live performances because they couldn’t be heard over the screaming, did you take that to mean its was actually meant to be about feeling tits? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They had a running joke where John used to sing ‘i wanna hold your glands’ as a joke during live performances because they couldn’t be heard over the screaming, did you take that to mean its was actually meant to be about feeling tits? :lol:

Yes, because that's EXACTLY what it was about. I don't know how you can think differently. :shrugs:

It's about sex man.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ