Interview: Slash Admits Guns N’ Roses’ Songs Are ‘Sort of Sexist’

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Of course they go after the black guys, Snoop was banned from entering England at one point, with headlines like ‘GET THIS SICK BASTARD OUT OF OUR COUNTRY’, before Em’ was even a rapper rappers were gettin’ stick for that shit.

Maybe in England they will, but not in America. The left won't go after ANY minority unless they come out as right. 

I will never understand why they continue to be asked about the lyrics of such songs as UTLH, it's so easy, Anything Goes and etc. they're written to express events and emotion.  If "safe" references where used in those songs rather than for example "turn around bitch I got a use for you" it would have lost its bluntness, in your face attitude. Rock & Roll was about sex and drugs. Both of which came easy.  It was the 80's. GnR shouldn't have to explain or defend. AFD perfectly captured that time of RnR and GnR was the perfect band to represent it. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I will never understand why they continue to be asked about the lyrics of such songs as UTLH, it's so easy, Anything Goes and etc. they're written to express events and emotion.  If "safe" references where used in those songs rather than for example "turn around bitch I got a use for you" it would have lost its bluntness, in your face attitude. Rock & Roll was about sex and drugs. Both of which came easy.  It was the 80's. GnR shouldn't have to explain or defend. AFD perfectly captured that time of RnR and GnR was the perfect band to represent it. 

Because to the "mainstreem" media, Guns have not apologized for it, admitted they were wrong, and joined the "correct" side. Take Ice T for example, he got all sorts of grief for his Cop Killer song, but does he still get asked about it? Nope. He's sold out and is a cop on America's favorite drama, SVU. 

If Axl was on a tv show praising and glorifying women, all would be forgiven. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, soon said:

A tea of ashwaghanda, nettle and black maca can also help to get the motor turning if thats an issue

19 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Do we also need to bring up the plaster caster girls from the 70"s?.

My libido tea reminded you of the plaster casters? lol.

I think that could be a very interesting conversation

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I asked you a simple, straightforward, on-topic question to gauge your view. Simmer down.

"Sexist lyrics are just that." No shit, but what qualifies as sexist is what's up for debate whether or not you or Slash say so lol.  

Simmer down? :lol: you mean dont plainly ask you not to put words in my mouth? Dont take note of deflection tactics? :facepalm: I gave you a simple, straightforward, on topic answer. 

3 hours ago, username said:

Let's not pretend it's a bad thing. If a women wrote similar lyrics these days it'd be considered "empowering". 

Well You're So Vain and You Oughta Know are empowering. Yet those songs are not similar to Back Off Bitch or UTLH. Power not necessarily needs derogatory words

Edited by Padme
  • GNFNR 1

A bunch of fully grown men with donglers hangin' down to their ankles moaning about fuckin' sexism, i ask you :lol:  And half of it is just some kind of instinctive lash back at the fact that, God fuckin' forbid, women ask for equal fuckin' pay for a fair shout in 'x' aspect of society.  Scared that women are gonna take over or something :lol:  'OMG, Cardi B's lyrics are like, degrading to men!', oh great, thats just fuckin' dandy innit, all the birds and all the blokes all equally gettin' their knickers in a knot, see where that fuckin' leads ya, we can all strap on the chastity belts, wonderful :lol:

So yeah, birds, degrade me all you fuckin' like dears, crack on :lol:  Scared of a bunch of birds, Christ Almighty :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

How and what am I deflecting mate?

Putting what words in your mouth so you're saying you don't find the lyrics sexist?

dude, you quoted me mocking someone else deflection tactic. Maybe you didnt understand that and it has you confused? I dunno?

And I never said any one was sexist and then you asked me if I also thought other people were sexist. Thats putting words in my mouth. Perhaps you meant to ask if I understood that they also have sexist lyrics? But you didnt ask that.

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I figured when you said that to me you were saying it to me.

So you're saying you don't find any of GNR's lyrics sexist then and I was wrong about that?

wtf? how are you so confused? I think you saw any post from me in a discussion about sexism and went into a script. 

Of course Guns has sexist lyrics. Thats all I have to say about it.

12 minutes ago, soon said:

wtf? how are you so confused? I think you saw any post from me in a discussion about sexism and went into a script. 

Of course Guns has sexist lyrics. Thats all I have to say about it.

He said ya momma ain't shit too.  In PM, to me.  I didn't want it to come out like this but I just can't stand by while people talk down about you man.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

A bunch of fully grown men with donglers hangin' down to their ankles moaning about fuckin' sexism, i ask you :lol:  And half of it is just some kind of instinctive lash back at the fact that, God fuckin' forbid, women ask for equal fuckin' pay for a fair shout in 'x' aspect of society.  Scared that women are gonna take over or something :lol:  'OMG, Cardi B's lyrics are like, degrading to men!', oh great, thats just fuckin' dandy in it, all the birds and all the blokes all equally gettin' their knickers in a knot, see where that fuckin' leads ya, we can all strap on the chastity belts, see where that fuckin' gets us :lol:

So yeah, birds, degrade me all you fuckin' like dears, crack on :lol:  Scared of a bunch of birds, Christ Almighty :lol:

I for one, agree with most of what you said here, I just don't like this "politically correct" society we are turning into. I would rather everyone have an equal opportunity to bash, mock, and degrade everyone else. But that's not really the case right now is it? Only certain groups are allowed to talk about other groups, how is that fair? Because one side did things in the past? Oh boo who, you go back through history long enough you will find EVERY group has gotten the short end of the stick at one time or another. 

If black folks want to mock white folks, it's considered comedy. If women want to make fun of men, it's empowerment. But if those get reversed it's considered racists or sexists, Why? I don't get that, why the double standard? I understood it more back in 19XX, the wounds were still a little fresh, I get it. But I was born in 1981, I'm about to be 37 years old. Whatever happened "way back when" was THEN, this is NOW. There has to be an expiration date on this one sided crap. I'm not sexist, I'm not racist, most of the people my age are the same way. Why do we have to be subjected to reverse racism and sexism for things we played no part in? I got called "Opie" by some of my black friends as a kid, how was that not racist? Could I call them "Buckwheat"? No, that would be racist. I just don't understand this double standard.

I saw an advertisement for a new sitcom called "The Neighborhood". In it Cedrick the Entertainer uses his "white guy voice" to mock white people. But that's considered ok and funny. But if a white guy did the same thing but reversed, it's considered racism. Where are these rules coming from??? To be honest, I miss the days when things were not so "off the table". Jokes were funnier, music was better, movies were better. I wish everyone wasn't so sensitive. The ONLY reason why I'm "offended" by that show, is because I know it's a clear double standard. At some point you get sick of getting attacked for being a white male, when you didn't do anything that caused any of this crap. 

As for you Len, if you lived here in America and said what you just said above, that would be considered sexist, FYI.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I for one, agree with most of what you said here, I just don't like this "politically correct" society we are turning into. I would rather everyone have an equal opportunity to bash, mock, and degrade everyone else. But that's not really the case right now is it? Only certain groups are allowed to talk about other groups, how is that fair? Because one side did things in the past? Oh boo who, you go back through history long enough you will find EVERY group has gotten the short end of the stick at one time or another. 

Its more or less the case to be honest.  You are free in America to voice an opinion, any opinion in fact, however unpopular.  People responding negatively to your opinion or feelings or acts and actions does not equate to you being denied the right too.  As far as people doing bad things in the past and its relevance to the present day I guess it all depends how long ago in the distant past it was and whether it has rammifications in the modern day.  But if a wrong was done then I don't think people should be afraid to talk about it. 

If black folks want to mock white folks, it's considered comedy. If women want to make fun of men, it's empowerment. But if those get reversed it's considered racists or sexists, Why? I don't get that, why the double standard? I understood it more back in 19XX, the wounds were still a little fresh, I get it. But I was born in 1981, I'm about to be 37 years old. Whatever happened "way back when" was THEN, this is NOW. There has to be an expiration date on this one sided crap. I'm not sexist, I'm not racist, most of the people my age are the same way. Why do we have to be subjected to reverse racism and sexism for things we played no part in? I got called "Opie" by some of my black friends as a kid, how was that not racist? Could I call them "Buckwheat"? No, that would be racist. I just don't understand this double standard.

Men make fun of women plenty, don't get it twisted, no one stopping misogyny, like you said listen to a Snoop album or any number of rap albums, it happens.  Listen to any number of stand up comics, they make jokes about women up and down.  As far as what you did or didn't say to the black kid in reply to their calling you Opie well thats your own political correctness isn't it?  You could've said what you like...but you'd have to stand for the consequences is all, these roles are intechangeable in a million locations all over the world, you just play the hand you're dealt. 

I saw an advertisement for a new sitcom called "The Neighborhood". In it Cedrick the Entertainer uses his "white guy voice" to mock white people. But that's considered ok and funny. But if a white guy did the same thing but reversed, it's considered racism. Where are these rules coming from??? To be honest, I miss the days when things were not so "off the table". Jokes were funnier, music was better, movies were better. I wish everyone wasn't so sensitive. The ONLY reason why I'm "offended" by that show, is because I know it's a clear double standard. At some point you get sick of getting attacked for being a white male, when you didn't do anything that caused any of this crap. 

Well there is such a thing as punching down y'know?  The black minority making fun of a white voice is kinda lightweight really, isn't it?  It doesn't carry the same weight as when done in reverse...and I know you know this cuz if you didn't, if it didn't prick your conscience you would've said something back to the black guys who called you Opie (unless you were just scared of gettin' a kicking).  But there are stereotypical prejudices espoused about black guys all the time, just look at some of the memes out there like that 'thats racissss' one.  Black guys are more athletic, Black guys have better physiques because they have better genetics, black guys have big dicks, all of this stuff is prevalent stereotypes in society.  I'm not saying that your position is necessarily wrong, I just think perhaps you take some kinda pithy shit a bit too seriously.

As for you Len, if you lived here in America and said what you just said above, that would be considered sexist, FYI.

I know, it would here as well but I don't give a fuck.  See, see how empowering that is? :lol:  Say it with me now, I don't give a fuck :lol:  I'm Asian, asian jokes don't bother me, jokes are jokes, take em like one.  I know who I am and what I am so what do I give a shit is some yahoo goes 'you're a sexist', don't bother me none.  What are you gonna do about it if I am?  Exactly, nothing. (i don't mean you personally, I mean the universal you).

1 hour ago, Lio said:

We do. Slash made lots of albums, Duff had a couple too, I think, and Axl had CD. I'm not an expert, but I don't think any of those had sexist lyrics like in the AFD days?

Not specifically talking about GNR now, but I don't think we should judge artists on stuff they released many decades ago. I'd rather look at what's happening now.

I dont own any Slash or Duff albums so I have no elements to judge on that, however, we are talking about material released by the whole band and that's what the discussion is about.

CD does not contain lyrics like those of AFD but it wasn't written by the same people who wrote AFD, except for Axl, and its already a 10 years old album, that's why I don't take it as a parameter to measure where Gn'R is at now, as a band.

2 hours ago, Lio said:

And yes, it was a very different time. It was a time a famous 52 year old rockstar married an 18 year old girl he'd been in a relationship with for 5 years.

Not sure who you are talking about but are you saying that nowadays old men do not date or marry underage women anymore?