Interview: Slash Admits Guns N’ Roses’ Songs Are ‘Sort of Sexist’

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think its all bullshit, all pride and vanity.  The fact is whoever you are in our societies (or any society for that matter) you get dealt a certain hand and you gotta work with it.  Now if we were low cast peasants in India or living in a warzone in Burma I'd perhaps look with a little sympathy...but me and you, socially, racially and all that shit-wise (and I'm a minority here and many would disagree with what I'm sayin') we ain't oppressed, we ain't victims, its all just chatter, minor little things that people blow up and pore over.  Nobodys stopping me (or you, though I'm being presumptuous about your situation i figure you're an average guy like me) from doing shit whether that means getting on in life or fuckin'...y'know, getting a job, doing whatever.  Would it be harder for me as a minority?  I don't know, I really don't care to think about it, the only thing that matters to me is can i do it?  And yeah, I can and reasonably easily too.  And its the same thing with you too, sure there's probably some black guys out there that can get away with calling you a honky with less repercussions than if you called them a n!gger (though why would you want to?) but whatever, on the scale of things its piddley shit, it ain't worth nothin'.

Agreed. Honestly it's all bunch of BS perpetuated by the media. Which they do it just to drum up clicks, views, ratings, etc. 

At the end of the day, we are all responsible for ourselves. Make the best of it, try and be a good person, and things will probably work out ok for ya. The problem IS some folks are looking for the easy way out, you know not put in the work and still get the end results. 

@Lio I found this; it's about Bill Wyman/Mandy Smith "relationship":

At age 47, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother's blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. Not long after, Bill's 30-year-old son, Stephen, married Mandy's mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother. If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father's father-in-law and his own grandpa.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question137146.html 

:blink:

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fourteenbeers said:

@Lio I found this; it's about Bill Wyman/Mandy Smith "relationship":

At age 47, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother's blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the marriage only lasted a year. Not long after, Bill's 30-year-old son, Stephen, married Mandy's mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother. If Bill and Mandy had remained married, Stephen would have been his father's father-in-law and his own grandpa.

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question137146.html 

Yes :scared:

9 minutes ago, Lio said:

Yes :scared:

It's like a script to a bad soap opera. I remember reading somewhere (not sure if this is true or made-up), that the others were congratulating Bill, except Keith who said Bill should be locked up. It's nice to have Keith Richards as the moral spine of the Stones. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, killuridols said:

But if you want to talk about Guns N' Roses, do not make me go looking for that picture of 50+ Axl Rose grabbing the butt (and signing it) of an underage Canadian fan girl. A little search on Instagram would quickly throw the results for the pictures I am talking about and most of us have seen.

Why does this bother you? I doubt Axl said "I'm only giving you an autograph if it's on your butt." So clearly she WANTED him to do that. Does she not have that right? So Axl is the bad guy for doing something for a fan that SHE ASKED HIM TO DO? That doesn't make any sense? Is it degrading to Women? Yes I suppose, but isn't it her right to be degraded if that's what she wants? It's dangerous thinking when we decide what's right and wrong for others. We have the right to not agree with it, but that's about it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Why does this bother you? I doubt Axl said "I'm only giving you an autograph if it's on your butt." So clearly she WANTED him to do that. 

Take notice statutory sexual assault laws - it's not against the law if the girl clearly wants to. 

:facepalm:

• Like 3

Just now, Fourteenbeers said:

It's like a script to a bad soap opera. I remember reading somewhere (not sure if this is true or not), that the others were congratulating Bill, except Keith who said Bill should be locked up. It's nice to have Keith Richards as the moral spine of the Stones. 

Ha, I don't remember that. Like I said, it wasn't that uncommon back in the day. Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Anthony Kiedis... They're all guilty of sleeping with an underage girl.

Apparently, the Rolling Stones had this as merch in 1994:

https://flashbak.com/the-rolling-stones-were-proud-to-withstand-under-age-sex-the-1994-poster-and-t-shirt-9356/

They didn't seem to make a big problem of under age sex. It was all part of the rock n' roll lifestyle. So I can imagine them congratulating Wyman.

22 hours ago, BadApples99 said:

We didn’t have that particular [predatory] relationship with girls. It was a lot more the other way around in some cases.

Hahahaha so true!

Slash is completely right. I can only imagine the immense amount of girls throwing themselves at them just for their fame and fortune or to fuck a rock star.

Men and women are equally disgusting. We are all broken beings driven by sex and status.

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

I'm sure he doesn't particularly and legacy rock seems to have been strangely insulated from the recent metoo trends. Think we had a discussion thread about this a while back and somewhat came to the conclusion that a lot of stuff going on was so blatant and openly part of the culture it gets left alone. Cynically speaking there is no gain for the media in pointing out that 70s/80s rockstars were procuring groupies, even if underage ones, because everyone is a bit 'well duh!' about it.

Slash is also all about his image and whilst I don't expect him to be the most PC guy in the world I think his SM accounts are carefully curated to reflect this and maintain the brand as wild man of R&R. It's what sells, Slash as SJW would not. :lol: It's worth noting that he isn't running around in real life with girls young enough to be his daughter like some middle aged men so 'all things considered' he could be worse.

I think media is looking for some sort of 'repentment' and that's why they inquire here.... maybe some of them do really regret doing those things but admiting to the world is another story. A matter of pride and male ego involved goes along with that.

Well, I don't find any consolation in thinking that he "could be worse". His IG disgusts me and I don't know what's the purpose of keeping this wild man of R&R image..... he's a fucking grandpa and no one cares anymore. But maybe some people do. Men who support this shit would be disappointed their idol has turned into a "snowflake", as they say now.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Um, I was saying it was a different time, giving the example of the old rockers. You didn't know who I meant, so I explained. How can I argue my stance that it was a different time by only mentioning AFD lyrics?

Nowhere have I said that abuse of women or kids doesn't happen anymore.

And signing a butt may be in poor taste, but it's not having sex with a 14 year old.

Who knows what happened in that room afterwards.... I remember pics of the same girl in Axl's bedroom, playing with his big rings......

I think none of this has gone out of fashion, unfortunately. Maybe it is not the rockers anymore, but I'm sure rappers, pop stars and other Hollywood types are still doing it.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Grocery shopping, ugh, the most tedious shit in the world!  And there's never a lightbulb around when I need one.  The first thing I do is wander about looking for a lamp or somewhere else I can nick one out of.  And as for fixing things around the house, well I got more bitch in me than you when it comes to that shit, I couldn't fix lego together :lol: 

Haha... grocery shopping is the worst!
But I do it anyway, as I'm not rich Princess with servants who can solve my life for those shits.................

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I honestly don't know where you got any of this from? I said woman were BETTER than men, which I honestly believe. But that's just MY OPINION. The reality is men and women are different but equal. We excel in different ways. It doesn't Mean one is better or worse than the other, just different. Just like dogs and cats, you might prefer one over the other, but there isn't any diffinitve way to decide one is better or worse than the other. 

But... what the hell does it mean that women are better than men :question:
How?? :question:

That's a fallacy. Men and women are human beings and each person has developed their abilities or have potential according to numerous variables.

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Why does this bother you? I doubt Axl said "I'm only giving you an autograph if it's on your butt." So clearly she WANTED him to do that. Does she not have that right? So Axl is the bad guy for doing something for a fan that SHE ASKED HIM TO DO? That doesn't make any sense? Is it degrading to Women? Yes I suppose, but isn't it her right to be degraded if that's what she wants? It's dangerous thinking when we decide what's right and wrong for others. We have the right to not agree with it, but that's about it. 

I brought it up because Lio was saying that this kind of thing belonged to the past, to the AFD times. So I recalled those cringeworthy pictures of 50+ years old Axl Rose signing the bare-butt of girl 30 years younger, and that was around 2013 or 2014, so it's not so long ago.

Yes, she has all the rights to be used and abused by the grandpa, if that's the way she flows, she's a free woman as far as I know.... I'm not interfering in her run to Axl's bed or whatever :lol:

All I did was point out this kind of stuff has not gone out of style. What's wrong with pointing out? It's an observation. I'm sorry you get offended and bothered by the truth of it.

20 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Oh dear. This whole ‘left vs. right’ bullshit is literally the biggest, sweatiest pile of bollocks I’ve ever heard. The ‘them vs. us’ mentality is just toxic, deluded, paranoid and downright dangerous, and it is this very thing that is the cause of today’s divisive and frankly pathetic political climate.

It’s not ‘lefties’ who say you can’t talk shit about women, black people, or whatever other group of people you care to mention, it’s the unwritten rules of a civilised society. It’s not about being PC, an SJW or any kind of political statement, it’s called being a decent human being. The rest of us learnt this when we were, like, 5 years old. This is stuff that is as much a part of basic education as ‘1+1=2’.

So why don’t you just grow a pair of big boy bollocks, accept the basic and undeniable fact that there are some GNR lyrics that are blatantly sexist and move on wth your life, just like everyone else here has.

Jesus, grow the fuck up, man.

Just to be clear, this isn’t some sort of personal attack that I’ve decided to single you out for, this is about the childish, whiny “Why aren’t I allowed to say hooray for tolerance?” attitude from the whole ‘left vs. right/us vs. them’ mentality that your posts in this thread evoke.

Let me start by saying I am not left or right, I fully see the problems with both sides of that coin. I also fully admit that guns has some lyrics that could absolutely be viewed as sexists, but that's not my point. 

I also don't like the "us vs them" mentality that's in our society right now. But I also am willing to point out the hypocrisy when I see it. I agree, it's basic human decency to treat each other with respect, I never said that I don't. But doesn't that go both ways? That's my point. In an age of political correctness, I see a new tv show making fun of white people. Why is that ok? Yet not a single news story or article is talking about it. Why? But if a show came out portraying minorities in a negative light, it would get all sorts of backlash. It's no big secret that CBS, ABC, and NBC are liberal companies (with ABC, I mean DISNEY being the worst). With Fox being a conservative run company. So the programming these networks run are geared towards pushing their political agendas.  It's becoming increasingly hard to watch ANY sort of television shows that are not pushing some sort of agenda. Then we wonder why everyone is turning "us vs them". We can't escape it, it's everywhere. 

It's gotten so bad out there that it's hard to find any journalism that isn't slanted one way or another. Thats what bothered me the most about this Slash interview, she had an agenda and she backed Slash into this. He thought he was getting interviewed for his new album, she didn't care about that. She KNEW she was going to hit him with this, and catch him off guard. Hopefully get him to say something bad, get a clickable story, and increase her stock. Which clearly it worked. This crap is gping on everywhere, I've even mentioned in other threads about how most movies are pushing these agendas as well. 

I honestly don't care about a tv show making fun of white people, we are an easy target, no doubt. But why this double standard, that's my point. If it's good for the goose, shouldn't it be good for the gander? Because when it's not, then the "basic human rights" type arguments lose credibility. 

41 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I honestly don't care about a tv show making fun of white people, we are an easy target, no doubt

Geez, how are white people an easy target? :lol: For whaaaaat??

I can't really think of anything nowhere offensive to say about "white people", like..... what could possibly offend the dominant faction of the world?

20 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Let me start by saying I am not left or right, I fully see the problems with both sides of that coin. I also fully admit that guns has some lyrics that could absolutely be viewed as sexists, but that's not my point. 

I also don't like the "us vs them" mentality that's in our society right now. But I also am willing to point out the hypocrisy when I see it. I agree, it's basic human decency to treat each other with respect, I never said that I don't. But doesn't that go both ways? That's my point. In an age of political correctness, I see a new tv show making fun of white people. Why is that ok? Yet not a single news story or article is talking about it. Why? But if a show came out portraying minorities in a negative light, it would get all sorts of backlash. It's no big secret that CBS, ABC, and NBC are liberal companies (with ABC, I mean DISNEY being the worst). With Fox being a conservative run company. So the programming these networks run are geared towards pushing their political agendas.  It's becoming increasingly hard to watch ANY sort of television shows that are not pushing some sort of agenda. Then we wonder why everyone is turning "us vs them". We can't escape it, it's everywhere. 

It's gotten so bad out there that it's hard to find any journalism that isn't slanted one way or another. Thats what bothered me the most about this Slash interview, she had an agenda and she backed Slash into this. He thought he was getting interviewed for his new album, she didn't care about that. She KNEW she was going to hit him with this, and catch him off guard. Hopefully get him to say something bad, get a clickable story, and increase her stock. Which clearly it worked. This crap is gping on everywhere, I've even mentioned in other threads about how most movies are pushing these agendas as well. 

I honestly don't care about a tv show making fun of white people, we are an easy target, no doubt. But why this double standard, that's my point. If it's good for the goose, shouldn't it be good for the gander? Because when it's not, then the "basic human rights" type arguments lose credibility. 

I agree, media bias is a big problem. The main reason why I don't bother with newpapers anymore is because they're intent on pushing political agenda bullshit onto people instead of simply giving them the news (over here in Britain it's all about this Brexit crap - I don't care if you're for or against, gimme the facts!) I don't have any political leanings, I couldn't give two shits. I don't live in any type of bubble or feedback/echo chamber, I keep away from that shit, I just make my own mind up depending on what's right and wrong, morally.

Although, I don't  understand exactly what point people are trying to make when they complain about something being liberal. From what I've seen, it's when people are seen to give too much of a shit about someone different to them or considered to be 'the other', and those who do are accused of being 'snowflakes' or whatever, or if anyone says anything vaguely anti-Trump (which at this stage is a moot point, as even most Republicans are anti-Trump). Ususally, "too liberal" seems to be a euphemism for "not racist/[insert -ism here] enough".

And what do you mean "Disney being the worst"? The fact that they don't use all-white casts?

With regards to Slash being "backed into a corner", all he had to do was put his hands up and admit "We done fucked up", which to his credit he did. What else was he supposed to say? "Nah, fuck dem bitches"? Unless you're just a terrible person, it's not too difficult to recognise when you've said something out of turn, even if it was 30 years ago. He didn't need to be forced into it.

And the whole black/white jokes thing, it just reminds me of this side by side comparison I saw once - it was basically on one side harmless jokes about white people having no rhythm, not seasoning their chicken etc., and then you can probably guess what the "jokes" about black people were... Malicious hateful shit basically that could not be reposted.

I've always thought the term 'minorities' was just dumb, also. It makes me think of that Louis CK joke where the American guy takes a trip to Africa, looks around and says "Oh my god, look at all the minorities!"

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I don't think anyone is denying these lyrics are sexist, and that sexism is bad. But you know what's the funny part? People love sexist lyrics. appetite is one of the best selling albums ever. Many of the top selling albums contain sexist / offensive / incorrect lyrics. Fact: many people love this.

People love political incorrectness, not as a way of living on the streets, but as a way to let off some steam.

I haven't kept track of grand theft auto V's latest sales numbers, but I'm sure it's one of the best selling video  games ever. You murder hookers in that game, after stealing their money. You visit strip clubs. You kill women on the streets in that game. Steal cars and all sorts of over the top shit. No one is approving of this behaviour, at least not any sane person, but many sane people play this game regardless. Again, it's a way to blow off some steam.

Lyrics like "turn around bitch i gotta use for you" are so fucking offensive, it somehow becomes funny (but no one admits it of course). It's utterly demeaning and childish behaviour, and I still listen to the track and is one of my favorites of the gunners. Still, I'd probably hit anyone in the face saying such a thing to a real person. But here is the thing: it's NOT said to a real person. It's a fucking lyric, and no women were harmed in the making of this song.

Why do people love horror movies / books? are these all mass murderers? No, but we like this sort of stuff anyway.

Sex sells. Violence sells. Because deep down we are all filthy animals. We smell of sweat and shit, and we are generally revolting beings. But most of us manage to be decent people in real life. Including the members of guns n roses.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, action said:

I don't think anyone is denying these lyrics are sexist, and that sexism is bad. But you know what's the funny part? People love sexist lyrics. appetite is one of the best selling albums ever. Many of the top selling albums contain sexist / offensive / incorrect lyrics. Fact: many people love this.

People love political incorrectness, not as a way of living on the streets, but as a way to let off some steam.

I haven't kept track of grand theft auto V's latest sales numbers, but I'm sure it's one of the best selling video  games ever. You murder hookers in that game, after stealing their money. You visit strip clubs. You kill women on the streets in that game. Steal cars and all sorts of over the top shit. No one is approving of this behaviour, at least not any sane person, but many sane people play this game regardless. Again, it's a way to blow off some steam.

Lyrics like "turn around bitch i gotta use for you" are so fucking offensive, it somehow becomes funny (but no one admits it of course). It's utterly demeaning and childish behaviour, and I still listen to the track and is one of my favorites of the gunners. Still, I'd probably hit anyone in the face saying such a thing to a real person. But here is the thing: it's NOT said to a real person. It's a fucking lyric, and no women were harmed in the making of this song.

Why do people love horror movies / books? are these all mass murderers? No, but we like this sort of stuff anyway.

Sex sells. Violence sells. Because deep down we are all filthy animals. We smell of sweat and shit, and we are generally revolting beings. But most of us manage to be decent people in real life. Including the members of guns n roses.

Also, there's this idea that just because someone presents sexism in the framework of art that it is necessarily a condoning of it, its not as simple as that, its more like 'look, this is where we're from, this is whats around us'.  Then I suppose it gets into that notion of y'know, will the audience take it like that or will they take it as a design for life or something, well quite frankly fuck the audience, thats not the albums responsibility, to fuckin' put the audience right on shit.  And this is the only thing that bothers me about all this stuff, that its getting close to that 80s Tipper Gore clean up the music industry bullshit. 

Anything that exists in the world, the good and the bad, be it love flowers and rainbows or fuckin' sex (sex is bad apparently!) death racism sexism, whatever, it has the right to a representation in art.  Now it is up to each artist how judicious with this shit they are and God knows and history bears testament to the fact that they have had to stand and answer for that shit but basically if its out there it has a right to be on record, it was there before there were fuckin' records or books or paintings or whatever. 

And like, y'know, these are young men, in their 20s, coming up in a particular envoirnment and they're affected by it.  You can't have it both ways, you can't demand the rough rugged and raw and then complain when it ain't fuckin' Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter.

• Like 1

^^Yep, this is true. For example, AFD wasn't all like "Yaay, drugs!" It was more like "Just look at all this shit". And most of the misogynist stuff Axl himself admitted that he wasn't condoning it, he was working through the twisted view of women he had at the time, expressing the flaws of humanity.

In art generally, people take too much at face value, whereas the artist could be using double meanings, metaphors or an ironic stance used to criticise. An in movies, etc... who cares? It's just storytelling, of course no one is endorsing murder etc.