Slash - Sirius XM Show tonight at the Whisky 11/9/2018

kevinb

I'd love to see Nightrain and maybe Sweet Child but I'm totally ok without them also. 

Unfortunately the new songs doesn't flash me st this moment. Mostly because of Myles, but I think even Slash's solos are a bit uninspired.

Having said that I'm sure there will be something special guitarwise on the album as always. Will definitely go to a show.

• Like 1

If I was going to chuck a setlist together, I'd probably go something like the following.

Beneath the Savage Sun
Driving Rain
Wicked Stone
Standing in the Sun
You're a Lie
Mind Your Manners
Halo
Rocket Queen
Dr Alibi (Todd)
By the Sword
Back From Cali
Serve You Right
Shadow Life
Starlight
The Call of the Wild
The Unholy
Beggars and Hangers On
Slither
World on Fire
------------------------------------
Fall to Pieces/Gotten (acoustic - alternate nightly)
Nightrain
Anastasia

LTD: 4
WOF: 5
AL: 4
Slash: 4/5
GNR: 2
VR: 1/2
SS: 1

Edited by Towlie

Just watched "serve you right".. Again, loved the riff, solo and the last part of the song was pretty damn cool.  Still another missed opportunity for what could have been a great song.. Myles is just blahh.. And the predictable harmonies between him and Todd during the choruses have been beaten to death.. That seemed like a cool dynamic early on but they sucked that one dry... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just watched "serve you right".. Again, loved the riff, solo and the last part of the song was pretty damn cool.  Still another missed opportunity for what could have been a great song.. Myles is just blahh.. And the predictable harmonies between him and Todd during the choruses have been beaten to death.. That seemed like a cool dynamic early on but they sucked that one dry... 

Funny thing, based on the two songs I've heard on this album cycle, I feel like Slash isn't really creating the most exciting stuff to play off of.  I feel like he's staying in his lane of 80s hard rock and Aerosmith-influences (nothing wrong with that, but for a guy like me that's only listening to this band because of Myles, that style of music is not the most exciting thing, imo, to get pumped for compared to what Myles did with his solo album or with Alter Bridge).  Yeah, Myles doesn't really sound the most inspired in these new Slash songs to me, especially after hearing Year of the Tiger with him fiddling around with all kinds of instruments and having a very potent theme to talk about.

Heck, Myles stated something like this regarding as a musician during an interview and quite frankly, I'm not feeling what he wants to strive for so far regarding Livin' The Dream.

"But I try to keep my ears to the ground to find new things because I don't want to be one of those players where I just fall into my routine and don't evolve as the years go on.

"And I think the same thing could be said of [Mark] Tremonti as well. He's the kind of player that doesn't want to be stagnant.

"I think those of us that continue to be students and continue to grow, that's just a really important part of what we do. For me, the fear is that the well will run dry and I'll run out of things to keep me interested, so I'm still searching."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/myles_kennedy_the_most_challenging_thing_about_writing_an_album_about_my_fathers_death.html

Edited by Anguyen92

20 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I just heard parts of the live versions @Tom-Ass

I don't know what it is. I love Apocalyptic Love and World on Fire but nothing from this one is grabbing me so far. I can't believe it

I am almost feeling the same way, although Driving Rain, and that autographed album copy have me a little more excited than I probably should be about what I have heard.

I just feel like the GN'R excitement and tour kind of hit at a time when SMKC were really clicking. That is okay with me though, because I would have never even gotten the chance to see Slash and Axl together on the same stage if it wasn't for that.

48 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

I am almost feeling the same way, although Driving Rain, and that autographed album copy have me a little more excited than I probably should be about what I have heard.

I just feel like the GN'R excitement and tour kind of hit at a time when SMKC were really clicking. That is okay with me though, because I would have never even gotten the chance to see Slash and Axl together on the same stage if it wasn't for that.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm still pumped for it. I just am not as excited or grabbed as I was for the last two SMKC albums. The songs aren't as good imo but maybe its also because Slash is back in GNR, I don't know. I didn't go nuts for the first two singles of World on Fire, but I was still so hyped for that record. 

It's time for a change. I really hope this is the last cooperation between Slash and Myles. Slash needs to work with someone with a different style who brings something new to that formular.

Maybe it inspires him even more with a new rhythm section. All I heard from the new album are WOF leftovers :shrugs:

They could do something really cool and melodic if they wanted to. Like a whole song in the style of the bridges they write. They have fantastic bridges in different songs. Back from Cali, Wicked Stone to name a few. And even the Call Of The Wild bridge is awesome. The whole song should be that way.

Edited by Free Bird

4 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's time for a change. I really hope this is the last cooperation between Slash and Myles. Slash needs to work with someone with a different style who brings something new to that formular.

Maybe it inspires him even more with a new rhythm section. All I heard from the new album are WOF leftovers :shrugs:

I wonder who he could work with. Someone that brings the best guitar playing out of him. There is always that bloke who sings for GNR.

I've always thought that slash is a great lead player when he's playing over someone else's song. On the whole that seems to get the best out of him.

A lot of the songs that he writes sound the same as every other song he's written. Combine that with Myles singing the same song every time and it's starting to sound pretty bland.

Watched videos of Serves You Right and Call of the Wild. These songs really aren't for me, and I say that as someone who was happy to pay £10 for World on Fire. Listened to a third of Living the Dream now and not digging any of the tracks, hopefully there will be at least one or two I will want to buy off iTunes when it comes out.

And damn, Anastasia sounds good on the Les Paul.

20 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I wonder who he could work with.

I'm still dying to hear those VR demos they did with Corey Taylor.

4 hours ago, DK6 said:

I wonder who he could work with. Someone that brings the best guitar playing out of him. There is always that bloke who sings for GNR.

I've always thought that slash is a great lead player when he's playing over someone else's song. On the whole that seems to get the best out of him.

A lot of the songs that he writes sound the same as every other song he's written. Combine that with Myles singing the same song every time and it's starting to sound pretty bland.

I wonder if they probably thought about a VR reunion, now that STP have Jeff Gutt as their new singer, and he sounds damn close to Scott