Izzy really shined on the Use Your Illusion albums

30 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Too bad we don't have any good proshot live performances from 91 with all those songs :/ all I want is Perfect Crime, Dust N' Bones in good qualitt

Maybe not proshot but seems to be good quality.

Edited by ironmt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

Dust N' Bones, 14 Years, Double Talkin' Jive, I think he was the head writer for Bad Obsession as well (love the honky tonk sound on that, I want more GN'R songs like that).  Pretty Tied Up isn't one I care much for (it has some iconic Guns lines in it, I acknowledge) but I know that's another one he wrote that seems to be pretty popular when it comes to deep cuts

His whole solo career is a deep cut.

• Like 2

I just mean in terms of quality, the '91 proshots are the worst quality of all the GNR bootlegs. A proshot in quality like Chicago, Oklahoma, Saskatoon, the July 16th Argentina show, with songs like Right Next Door to Hell, Perfect Crime, Dust N' Bones, 14 years, the stripped down version of Double Talkin' Jive, all would be great with Izzy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Izzy is the fucking man.. That band really was a sum of ALL parts.. If we are to go by Axl's last and Slash's newest albums, new music without Izzy scares me.. 

Without Izzy it could be like CD songwriter wise with Slash songs replacing Buckets songs like Shacklers and Scraped. Duff songs instead of Pitman songs. Slash’s songs on UYI like GOE, DDM, Coma lean more to metal, so not sure where that Stones element will come from. 

I could see at least 7 songs being Slash/Duff material done in a classic GNR way, at least like the Slash UYI material. A Suckertain Blues, Slither, Fall to Pieces wouldn’t hurt. 

But it’s possible that Izzy Slash dynamic will be missing. The more collab the better it seems, to get that depth they achieved on YCBM. 

I’m on the fence whether Izzy is a signpost and the parameters of a style or vitally important. But his GNR material seems the most effortless. Maybe he’s just got the knack for a tune. 

I think the whole reunion thing makes people think more back to that time. But Slash sees it more as a new thing and just this ongoing thing he does. 

Although people don’t like CD, I think it showed Axl knows the level needed, even if he isn’t sold on the kind of music expected. 

It’s possible they never do another Jungle, Patience or Nov Rain again. 

That’s maybe the instinct to do something different like Shackler’s, If the World, Prostitute. 

Izzy though has been knocking out GNR tunes in his solo career for years. We know what Axl and Slash can do, so...I think Izzy is really great for the songs between the singles and the epics. Duff too. But a GNR album needs a big rocker like Jungle, a ballad and a couple of epics to finish on. And that is really Axl/Slash territory. 

I remember Izzy saying Axl had 3-4 of his songs, so it’s possible Izzy does become involved. Anything is possible I guess. Down by the Ocean could be real. 

Edited by wasted

32 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Izzy was the soul of Guns. 

His songs from the illusions albums have stood the test of time better than some of the others. A great songwriter. (I’ll take a songwriting guitar player over a shredder any day) 

I agree 100%

I still think the main riff from Pretty tied up is arguably the best riff on the illusion albums.

• Like 1

Bad Obsession as well (love the honky tonk sound on that, I want more GN'R songs like that)

It'd be interesting to know who drummed on that, if feels like its Matt because the song lacks the sort of swing that tunes like that need.  Feels like a song that would've sounded brilliant stripped down and on the second side of Lies.

• Like 1

I think even though izzy was probably distancing himself from the band at the time during this era, when he was there he made it count. Showed off his vocal abilities and more of his writing abilities. Obviously he’s no axl but his voice works on his songs like dust n bones and 14 years. I always wondered why he sang DTJ on the record but axl sang it live

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It'd be interesting to know who drummed on that, if feels like its Matt because the song lacks the sort of swing that tunes like that need.  Feels like a song that would've sounded brilliant stripped down and on the second side of Lies.

It's Matt. The only song Steven is on on the UYIs is Civil War.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:00 AM, wasted said:

Right Next Door to Hell

Dust N Bones

Don’t Cry

Perfect Crime

You Ain’t the First

Bad Obsession

Double Talkin Jive

Bad Apples

14 Years

Pretty Tied Up

You Could Be Mine

Damn Izzy got some tunes.

Bad Apples is one I always liked that a lot of people don’t.

Its kind of surprising Perfect Crime is an Izzy song for some reason.

14 Years is a perfect Guns song.