Who is the greatest one album band?

oldnews

On 18-9-2018 at 2:05 AM, wasted said:

That’s a good one. Was he discovered after his death so to speak?

During his lifetime and traveled the east coast playing the blues on the streets. He recorded a bunch of singles. But I don't think he ever had any commercial success or anything. In the early 60's some of his work got rediscovered and the compilation record King of the Delta Blues Singers became a huge hit. The whole wave of British blues musicians picked up on him from there too. 

17 minutes ago, username said:

During his lifetime and traveled the east coast playing the blues on the streets. He recorded a bunch of singles. But I don't think he ever had any commercial success or anything. In the early 60's some of his work got rediscovered and the compilation record King of the Delta Blues Singers became a huge hit. The whole wave of British blues musicians picked up on him from there too. 

So the Stones didn’t know him. Was that cd a re-release? 

He is really the most important or interesting artist that got dug up. The 30s? That’s legit. 

Then there was Sea sick Steve. 

I just wonder if there will be a digital Dylan?

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

So the Stones didn’t know him. Was that cd a re-release? 

He is really the most important or interesting artist that got dug up. The 30s? That’s legit. 

Then there was Sea sick Steve. 

I just wonder if there will be a digital Dylan?

That King Of The Delta Blues Singers record was from '61 (definitely not a cd) and it was a compilation released by Columbia of some of the singles he'd recorded back in '36 and '37 and some unreleased stuff from that time. 

The Stones probably got to know his music through that. '61 fits their timeline nicely. But he died in '38. And he was born in '11.  Which, incidentally, makes him the oldest member of the 27 club that I know of. ;) 

12 minutes ago, username said:

That King Of The Delta Blues Singers record was from '61 (definitely not a cd) and it was a compilation released by Columbia of some of the singles he'd recorded back in '36 and '37 and some unreleased stuff from that time. 

The Stones probably got to know his music through that. '61 fits their timeline nicely. But he died in '38. And he was born in '11.  Which, incidentally, makes him the oldest member of the 27 club that I know of. ;) 

I think I got the first time it was out on cd or something. There was a box set I just got the cd. But it became just another cd next to Lanegan or Leadbelly to me. Like The Doors and Nirvana is about a certain time. 

On 9/17/2018 at 7:48 AM, Len Cnut said:

Big L released a second album. 

Johnny ain't cheating, that was the only Heartbreakers album, you're spot on correct.

I almost didn’t count Big L, but since his second album wasn’t 100% done and came out after he died I figured what the hell.

L.A.M.F is one of my favorite albums ever. It has a really, really good sound to it. The type of sound that has a certain feeling to it.

I almost didn’t count Big L, but since his second album wasn’t 100% done and came out after he died I figured what the hell.

I could've sworn he was alive when that came out but googled it and apparently I'm wrong.

L.A.M.F is one of my favorite albums ever. It has a really, really good sound to it. The type of sound that has a certain feeling to it.

The sound of filthy New York junkies with an attitude problem :lol:

On 9/17/2018 at 1:37 PM, wasted said:

Are there any bands that never released an album?

Other than GNR. 

The earliest technical albums were ''books'' of 78s, and were all classical albums and spoken word releases (e.g., comedy records). The long-player vinyl was not even invented until 1948, first utilised in jazz and easy listening (alongside the aforementioned classical and spoken word releases) before proliferating in rock-pop, although the 45 still remained the dominant format until the ''album age''. So any popular act before 1948, by default, never released an album basically; think the great jazz-swing and blues recordings, Louis Armstrong and the Hot Five, Robert Johnson, etc. The album as an ''artistic'' medium is a slightly different topic and that only began, pertaining to rock-pop, from circa mid-'60s with the ''album age'', Blonde on BlondePet Sounds, Pepper, etc. 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The earliest technical albums were ''books'' of 78s, and were all classical albums and spoken word releases (e.g., comedy records). The long-player vinyl was not even invented until 1948, first utilised in jazz and easy listening (alongside the aforementioned classical and spoken word releases) before proliferating in rock-pop, although the 45 still remained the dominant format until the ''album age''. So any popular act before 1948, by default, never released an album basically; think the great jazz-swing and blues recordings, Louis Armstrong and the Hot Five, Robert Johnson, etc. The album as an ''artistic'' medium is a slightly different topic and that only began, pertaining to rock-pop, from circa mid-'60s with the ''album age'', Blonde on BlondePet Sounds, Pepper, etc. 

Interesting.

I guess when I say band I mean hair metal and when I say record I mean cd.

I really don”t consider anything pre Beatles to be a band that could get big without a cd. I was thinking could Fall Out Boy never release an album but somehow tour stadiums, maybe just using YouTube to release songs.