Slash and Chinese Democracy - what if?

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Slash said that creative differences weren't the main reasons for his exit from the band. It was the lack of communication and democracy. 

True - but with Keith Richard’s comments to him about sticking it out, if he had he has commented that OMG at the time reaffirmed his belief that it was the right move as they were on different plains at that time.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I recall reading that Slash was bummed out after hearing the leak of I.R.S. Had the relationship of the band not been so toxic, I reckon that they’d have made it through the millennium at least.

Like as in bummed that he wasnt playing on it?

It would have literally been a different album.

A) The lost 1996 album would (probably) have been completed, with work on new material most likely not starting again until after the millennium (therefore skipping the period when most of Chinese Democracy was written).

B) Had the album after the 1996 one been close to what became CD, it would have been a lot blusier, instead of the power chord and shred driven sound of Robin and Bucket - plus without Bucket, we wouldn't have Shackler, Sorry, Scraped, The General etc. And without Robin we wouldn't have Better, and according to Axl, he was also the one that convinced him to keep and continue with This I Love.

C) Lyrically it would also have been totally different - no songs inspired by the breakup and the media's treatment/opinion of Axl etc. We would have still had the Stephanie ballads though. 

So yeah, CD as we know it now would never have happened. 

Edited by Azifwekare
1996, not 1997

I'm sort of glad they don't have an album representative of every musical era, like Bon Jovi.

"This is our hair metal album, this is our grunge album, this is our pop album, this is our country album."

I hope Axl goes back to more riff-based songs with Slash and Duff. Write catchy music again!

Edited by Kickingthehabit

IMO the most disappointing thing about CD songs being played on the NITL tour is that Slash is way too self-indulgent on them. He spends too much time soloing all over them all the way through, which actually distracts from the rest of the performance, that you can't really hear what it would've sounded like had he originally played on them.

• Like 1

I totally get there was more at play than musical differences but it was a key point in that it was clear that Axl wanted to go in a more industrial direction. He then released OMG which backs that but then anything leaked after suggested that the industrial direction was not taken in the end. Which means if they could have worked the other issues out then the musical direction may not have been a big hurdle in the end.

I don’t doubt that Slash must have thought at times - “oh, I could have worked with that song etc quite easily and it’s not as industrial as expected”.

But yes, the other issues were - eh - issues as well!

3 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I totally get there was more at play than musical differences but it was a key point in that it was clear that Axl wanted to go in a more industrial direction. He then released OMG which backs that but then anything leaked after suggested that the industrial direction was not taken in the end. Which means if they could have worked the other issues out then the musical direction may not have been a big hurdle in the end.

I don’t doubt that Slash must have thought at times - “oh, I could have worked with that song etc quite easily and it’s not as industrial as expected”.

But yes, the other issues were - eh - issues as well!

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i think "this i love" is a Slash era song.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, donny said:

now now. CD is GNRs second best album :) 

It's their absolute best. With UYI I as a close second. 

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Worst ever

Far behind Spaghetti

"TSI?" was their best produced album, but the covers were not diverse enough.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

I thought about it the other day when Down On The Farm kicked in in my car.

Best produced GNR album.

Yeah, they did a great job with the production. I wish that they would've produced UYI in the same way. 

Down on the Farm and Ain't it Fun are my favourite covers from the album. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Like as in bummed that he wasnt playing on it?

Yeah mate, I should have expanded on that. When you think about it, going through all of those years together then all the years of inactivity, finally hearing Axl's voice but with other players, it must have been disappointing for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Yep. It was played live as part of Axl's piano solo in 1993, like Prostitute was in 2006, and the title was mentioned by Axl in a 1994 interview. 

did it not make its public debut in the "making effing videos" trilogy ? 

Even with the NITL performances you can hear Slash's blues impact, which melts with Fortus quite well, for me at least. Throw in Duff and Matt, I think production would have very much been like UYI, a process of adding to other members tracks and compiling an album. So This I Love, and the rest of Axls pinned tracks would probably have been on the 96 albums; granted with a different sound. Slash would have some tracks, and Duff would have some tracks