Slash and Chinese Democracy - what if?

6 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Bearing in mind that CD isn’t THAT far removed from the UYI albums stylistically - certainly compared to what had been suggested with OMG and SW - if Slash could have seen what would eventually be, would he have hung in there and not left?

what?

axl solo album has absolutely NOTHING to do with any GNR album, including the illusions

the only possible similarities is that maybe one or two of the ballads on axl solo album very vaguely resemble the axl rose ballads that became GNR songs on use your illusion

very vaguely

even axl vocals are completely different

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

what?

axl solo album has absolutely NOTHING to do with any GNR album, including the illusions

the only possible similarities is that maybe one or two of the ballads on axl solo album very vaguely resemble the axl rose ballads that became GNR songs on use your illusion

very vaguely

did the band leave Axl or did Axl leave the band ? like it or not that above average band that recorded CD was Guns N Roses. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donny said:

did it not make its public debut in the "making effing videos" trilogy ? 

3 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

One of them did have a piano based instrumental I think, but I could never hear it clearly enough under all the talking.

There is a piano melody playing in the background on the Making of Estranged video, but it doesn't resemble TIL.

But it was certainly written in the Illusions era, because Axl had mentioned it in 1992.

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Even with the NITL performances you can hear Slash's blues impact, which melts with Fortus quite well, for me at least. Throw in Duff and Matt, I think production would have very much been like UYI, a process of adding to other members tracks and compiling an album. So This I Love, and the rest of Axls pinned tracks would probably have been on the 96 albums; granted with a different sound. Slash would have some tracks, and Duff would have some tracks

I think it was really the slowness. Catcher wasn’t written until 98. Madagascar, Blues 99? 

But I think if the basic CD tracks were presented to Slash in 96 and was asked to work on them he would. He did say he wasn’t interested in Axl’s ballads though. I think he wanted Guns to go another direction. There was just a whole labourious writing process to go through...he literally would have put Snakepit out as Guns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donny said:

did the band leave Axl or did Axl leave the band ? like it or not that above average band that recorded CD was Guns N Roses. 

you are free to believe that and to like that as much as you like

oh, and to answer your question: it was the band who left axl, one by one

first izzy, then slash, the dough

none of them could take anymore being in Guns n Roses with a guy that deeply believe that HE was Guns n Roses

how well did HE do on his own, huh?

Edited by ludurigan

Just now, wasted said:

I think it was really the slowness. Catcher wasn’t written until 98. Madagascar, Blues 99? 

But I think if the basic CD tracks were presented to Slash in 96 and was asked to work on them he would. He did say he wasn’t interested in Axl’s ballads though. I think he wanted Guns to go another direction. There was just a whole labourious writing process to go through...he literally would have put Snakepit out as Guns. 

that shows to me Slash can't decide on musical direction for Guns on his own. he doesn't care enough to take it to fresh new directions, at least in the context of guns. we'll never even have november rain and estranged according to axl cause slash and duff weren't into it.

but I think now after all those years Slash is willing to play on all sorts of unreleased axl material so it could come a full circle if they put out all the stops. release a double album with the best ideas with Slash all over it and some new riff ideas by slash.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, they did a great job with the production. I wish that they would've produced UYI in the same way. 

Down on the Farm and Ain't it Fun are my favourite covers from the album. 

Those two and Raw Power are my favorites too. Raw Power is very different than the original but they did a precise hard rock song out of this punk classic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

what?

very vaguely

What I mean is that in the context of UYI vs OMG/Silkworms (the supposed direction he wanted to go with) CD was much closer to UYI.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

that shows to me Slash can't decide on musical direction for Guns on his own. he doesn't care enough to take it to fresh new directions, at least in the context of guns. we'll never even have november rain and estranged according to axl cause slash and duff weren't into it.

but I think now after all those years Slash is willing to play on all sorts of unreleased axl material so it could come a full circle if they put out all the stops. release a double album with the best ideas with Slash all over it and some new riff ideas by slash.

It doesn’t make sense that back in 96 he didn’t do that. But I guess maybe there wasn’t anything there? So Snakepit seemed the answer. Axl worked with Tobias to get his stuff going, I guess that could of been Slash. 

But now we are like pre Illusions, there’s material Slash can dive into, he could also write some AFD stuff with Axl. That’s how it could be better, fully realised UYI era stuff plus AFD stuff. It could be the definitive statement. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

none of them could take anymore being in Guns n Roses with a guy that deeply believe that HE was Guns n Roses

Well, he is. He's the voice of the band, and it's main lyricist. Would anyone seriously accept a band called GN'R without Axl on vocals?

Scott Weiland? Myles Kennedy? Don't make me laugh. 

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

how well did HE do on his own, huh?

A lot better than VR or any of the solo projects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dean said:

Yeah mate, I should have expanded on that. When you think about it, going through all of those years together then all the years of inactivity, finally hearing Axl's voice but with other players, it must have been disappointing for him.

For sure. Must have been disappointing. And Id imagine similar to when Axl heard VR, the instincts of their musical partnership start fireing off. Then its about 'Oh I would have done it this way and it would make his song even better.' Or 'I would have never thought of that awesome part... I guess he's moved on, sigh.'

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trqster said:

Slash's playing style doesn't really fit imo most CD songs... And Axl knows that, otherwise he'd already be re-recording some CD2 stuff with Slash & Duff. 

Well, if Tom Zutaut is to be believed Slash has applied guitar work to Atlas Shrugged. I know what is being said in public but there had been rumblings of work being undertaken (maybe working through the existing material as opposed to creating ‘new’ stuff)?

Edited by DTJ80
Added comments

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

A lot better than VR or any of the solo projects.

:rofl-lol:

Even if you feel that way (opinions, different taste and so on) that's not the point. 

Or do you think he made the name GNR any bigger than it was? In 8 years they released 5 albums. What did Axl with his version of GNR do? Right! One record in 20 years. Obviously he did very well :awesomeface:

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, soon said:

For sure. Must have been disappointing. And Id imagine similar to when Axl heard VR, the instincts of their musical partnership start fireing off. Then its about 'Oh I would have done it this way and it would make his song even better.' Or 'I would have never thought of that awesome part... I guess he's moved on, sigh.'

Definitely. He still kept tabs on them. Through record label execs/friends in common, he was able to get a copy of Contraband before it's release and has stated previously that the riff for Fall to Pieces was meant to be a Guns song and I believe he said he enjoyed the song for what it was on the chats here I'm sure. Crazy period though, it's very pleasing that they were able to finally get over all of those issues and hopefully for us as fans, will be able to benefit from new content sooner rather than later!

• GNFNR 1

27 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Well, it kind of is, seeing as it was the answer to the question that you asked...

I didn't ask anything. 

And still it isn't the point. You may like CD (the only Axl album in two decades) more than the other solo material but it's a fact that Contraband is the more successful record. The activity of Slash, Duff and the productivity of Izzy is way beyond Axl's. 

The only thing Axl was more successful with was touring in the 00 years but even that was because of the classic band. He wouldn't headline festivals or anything had he toured under his own name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Definitely. He still kept tabs on them. Through record label execs/friends in common, he was able to get a copy of Contraband before it's release and has stated previously that the riff for Fall to Pieces was meant to be a Guns song and I believe he said he enjoyed the song for what it was on the chats here I'm sure. Crazy period though, it's very pleasing that they were able to finally get over all of those issues and hopefully for us as fans, will be able to benefit from new content sooner rather than later!

It was very interesting because Axl almost answered the question.

Somebody said, "what are your thoughts on Velvet Revolver?" and he said "Ha Ha. We'll get into that later..."

Later never came but in the meantime, VR dried up and Slash made a solo album. After that came out, Axl gave an interview where he was able to claim to the journalist that he enjoys the song "By the Sword."

So...was the "Ha Ha" a positive or a negative? We'll probably never know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

It was very interesting because Axl almost answered the question.

Somebody said, "what are your thoughts on Velvet Revolver?" and he said "Ha Ha. We'll get into that later..."

Later never came but in the meantime, VR dried up and Slash made a solo album. After that came out, Axl gave an interview where he was able to claim to the journalist that he enjoys the song "By the Sword."

So...was the "Ha Ha" a positive or a negative? We'll probably never know.

Have you a source for this interview. All we know there was this chick hanging around with Axl. She told the story of By The Sword which was played in the radio. I never heard of an interview were he confirmed that