So, I've listened to a lot of Meat Loaf recently...

TheGeneral

...and I'm curious what the general opinion is.

I've read many internet posts stating his music is cheesy and people getting kind of weird looks when they admit that they like his stuff. But I really don't get it?

I think his/Jim Steinman's songs are amazing and even albums where Steinman wasn't involved are good. Okay his 80's stuff is a bit cheesy and boring, but the 90's and 00's stuff was good.

Even in 2010 he proved everybody he still had it when he released "Hang Cool Teddy Bear", of which I've only read good reviews. One review even stating it was his third best album behind Bat I & II. And I really like it too. 

Then between "Hang Cool Teddy Bear" (2010) and "Hell In A Handbasket" (2011) something happened, I'm curious what. His live voice was always a bit weak but in the studio he totally delivered. But in 2011 his voice suddenly started to fall apart. And for his last album he couldn't hit any notes at all.

Kind of sad, I would consider him one of the greatest voices of the last 100 years. He had a voice like a big old american V8 motor. The american equivalent to Freddie Mercury. (Opera etc.)

His live shows were something completely different, the drama he added, the acting, it's like a musical/theatre. I think they were really entertaining even though he wasn't vocally on point. My dad saw him in the early 90's and thought it was amazing.

So I'm just curious, why do people think they need to be ashamed of admitting to liking Meat Loaf? What is your opinion on his music? What's your favorite song/album of his? 

12 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

So I'm just curious, why do people think they need to be ashamed of admitting to liking Meat Loaf? What is your opinion on his music? What's your favorite song/album of his? 

He's done some great tunes. I prolly don't even know all the hits. If anyone is ashamed to admit they like him its possibly related to this:

• Haha 1

whenever I go to fleamarkets and I see these stands with used cd's, and I look in the rock section for some reason it's always filled with meat loaf / sepultura / faith no more and other shitbands  in them. if I got a penny every time I saw that blasted bat out of hell image during my searches for great stuff, I'd be able to book the fucking stones for my birthday party.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...