The Third Place

Sosso

42 minutes ago, action said:

cemeteries.

you guys should all go to cemeteries more.

I love going to old cemeteries and reading the headstones from the 1800 and early 1900's. One thing interesting is how many of the headstones say how they died. Most every small farming town including mine has one. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sosso said:

My favourite place to go is currently a turkish restaurant. The place is divided into areas for smokers and non-smokers.

Cool. Hey, werent you gonna try cooking a Turkish dish a while back? Lamb Kofta I think? Is that inspired by your third space - I know its not only a Turkish dish?

Smoking through hookas?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Cool. Hey, werent you gonna try cooking a Turkish dish a while back? Lamb Kofta I think? Is that inspired by your third space - I know its not only a Turkish dish?

Yes, and it was so good. The turkish cuisine quickly became one of my absolutely favourites. I would highly recommend their tea as well!

220px-Turkish_tea2.jpg

3 hours ago, soon said:

Smoking through hookas?

Sometimes, but I'm usually smoking normal cigarettes.

• GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Yes, and it was so good. The turkish cuisine quickly became one of my absolutely favourites. I would highly recommend their tea as well!

220px-Turkish_tea2.jpg

Sometimes, but I'm usually smoking normal cigarettes.

Nice - glad your Koftas went well!!  Theres lots of Lebanese restaurants around here and I wonder if theres some crossover in the cuisine? I really like it!! Will have to look out for a Turkish place.

Tea looks gorgeous! Is it hibiscus giving it that deep ruby red?  Or maybe rose petals (Im thinking about the rose water used in Turkish Delight)?

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Reading this thread makes me think its fuckin' tragic how we eventually end up living such compartmentalised lives.  I mean 'third place', its almost like a Grandads thing innit?  To think of all the adventures one could get in with life, the places one could go...and we're narrowed to a core three.  What would Jim Morrison think.  Probably something along the lines of 'I wonder if this is the right place to get my willy out?' before getting his willy out :lol:

On a tangent here, I read somewhere that getting your willy out in public is a sex offence. 

So that there was a sex crime :lol:  A great deal of Iggys gigs are sex crimes.

22 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Reading this thread makes me think its fuckin' tragic how we eventually end up living such compartmentalised lives.  I mean 'third place', its almost like a Grandads thing innit?  To think of all the adventures one could get in with life, the places one could go...and we're narrowed to a core three.  What would Jim Morrison think.  Probably something along the lines of 'I wonder if this is the right place to get my willy out?' before getting his willy out :lol:

I think the 3 places are only speaking to routine. The the third place balances things out and completes a healthy routine. But those routines dont hold us back from adventure and spontaneity. The provide the healthy foundation to serve as a launch pad into adventure. Morrison would still be with us if his third place wasn't fatal substance abuse. Robbie is probably still having adventures as part of a balanced life:shrugs:

I used to have a place where I felt really at ease whenever I visited — the Museum Gardens in York. I’ve not felt that way there for many years though. Too many tourists there now. While I’m happy they visit, they don’t half kill a peaceful atmosphere. 

I think that a Third Place is as much a feeling as anything else. Possibly that feeling when no other responsibilities are looming. I can make a mug of tea and read my book for a while. That’s what I strive for. 

Just now, Gracii Guns said:

I used to have a place where I felt really at ease whenever I visited — the Museum Gardens in York. I’ve not felt that way there for many years though. Too many tourists there now. While I’m happy they visit, they don’t half kill a peaceful atmosphere. 

I think that a Third Place is as much a feeling as anything else. Possibly that feeling when no other responsibilities are looming. I can make a mug of tea and read my book for a while. That’s what I strive for. 

Is that where that ruined abbey/priory is, and there are loads of bunnies jumping round?