27 years ago today- UYI's were released

1 hour ago, Original said:

Great memories of the release.  Huge lines at midnight etc....what an exciting time. 

LOVED that time.

I'll never forget sitting at a Subway restuarant having dinner with my mom and reading the newspaper review of UYI I & II. Right after that, I finally made it to the record store. I was so happy to finally have those 2 CD longboxes in my hands!

• Like 4

I recall buying the UYI cassettes shortly after school let out, 27 years ago today.

I was only 13 and wouldn't receive a CD player until X-Mas 1991 (thanks Mom!).

The local independent record store received the UYI albums 4-5 days prior to the official release date.

Unfortunately, I didn't know this, and bought them on the 17th of September like most everyone else.

1991 was a cruel year for me, GNR were a bright spot for me back then.

I am glad I was a serious fan during the "Golden Era" of Guns N' Roses!

That era will never be repeated again "In This Lifetime"...

Edited by rockphantom
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

I live in Central America. I was 15 years old. I made my aunt, who live in Phoenix and is a saint, to buy me the albums at midnight and sent to me via plane as soon as possible....that was my 15 gift...I have no regrets...until this day my lovely aunt ( who is a nun!!!!) remember the chaos of that midnight in the record store...

She is nun and buy GNR album❓OMG:lol:gooo for you aunt!!! GOD bless she🙏

• Haha 2

Ralf's records in Lubbock was shipped the albums a few days early. I first listened to them at a pre release party. I didn't have a CD player so they let me go home with I and II on casette so I could listen on my Walkman. I went back to Ralf's after my classes let out 27 years ago today and bought the LP's which I still have today. I'm not sure what happened to the cassettes. 1991 was my last year of law school and I already had a job when I got out. Everything in my life should have been great but my life was actually the opposite and was spiraling out of control. I'm so happy that I had GnR during that time. 

• Like 4

I was 16. I walked into the music store which was very rock//gothicy my school uniform and there were two guys serving. I could hear them shooray for tolerance!ing something about crappy pop music and they made me feel kind of silly when I asked for the cassettes.

I listened to them all the way home on my Walkman and was mind blown. I think I spent the next week making copies for people at school.

I feel really lucky that I was born so long ago 😂 and that I got to feel that excitement as it happened because at the time those two albums were totally on another level to anything else out there.

• Like 1

Incredible pieces of work and it's a blessing that the band released the two of them at the same time in hindsight considering how little material we've gotten since. 

There are certain songs to me that I don't think have aged very well as time has passed, though the majority of the records feature some of the best work ever released under the GN'R name.

Was 16 when they came out.  Heard illusion 1 being played at my high school and i thought "fuck yeah the albums are out". Proceeded to leave school at lunchtime and wagged the remaining classes to wslk to the local record store, bought both illusions on cassettes and went home to listen. Mum was pissed off and asked why i left school early and locked myself in my room for the next 24 hours with a set of headphones. Spent 14 hours on a bus to see them in Sydney when they toured  Australia in 93. Skid row and rose tattoo were support.

Was a great time for rock music and being a rock/metal fan back then.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I was 16 when they were released. Showed up at Records off the wall In Somerset Pa for the midnight release and was stunned at the turn out. Just thinking back to those times Is actually a little depressing only because of how fast time has gone by. We didn't have any responsibility and thought we had forever. It seems like we went from 16 to 41 over night. I remember getting together with a bunch of buddies on a regular basis and playing football In the field with those albums cranking from the car stereo.  Actually I don't think we did much of anything without blasting those albums. When we weren't listening to the cassettes on a stereo system, MTV was playing either November Rain, Estranged, Don't Cry, Live And Let Die or You Could Be Mine at least once an hour. When we couldn't get enough of the albums or MTV we popped In the Live from Tokyo VHS tapes. Guns N Roses was everything and everywhere back then. I wouldn't trade being In high school at that time for any other time. 

The surprise element Is what I miss most, when you got an album you couldn't wait to listen to It and you really didn't know what to expect until you did. The Internet has definitely taken that away.  I was naive enough to believe that the Chinese Democracy album would  be similar to the UYI release  and woke my daughter up to ride along to best buy and we ended up being the only ones at the store when they opened. 

• Like 3

awww, I wasn't even born when the Illusions came out, so I'm loving reading all these stories :heart: The 90's seem like a fun time!! Wish I could like all of your posts!!

Is there anybody here from Europe who has a story like this and wants to share it? I mean, were there lines to buy the albums here too? I only recall seeing reports from american tv on Youtube with those huge lines at the record stores...so how was it in Europe?

3 hours ago, wasted said:

The You Could Be Mine video had limbic resonance for sure. 

Absolutely with a doubt. Terminator 2 was a big movie when released, gnr was smart to include ycbm in that film. Gnr went all out in promoting the albums and getting themselves back into the public during that time.

1 minute ago, Sydney Fan said:

Absolutely with a doubt. Terminator 2 was a big movie when released, gnr was smart to include ycbm in that film. Gnr went all out in promoting the albums and getting themselves back into the public during that time.

Such a great video and really captures that time. In a way it was the peak or the last real rocking GNR moment in that early style. 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Such a great video and really captures that time. In a way it was the peak or the last real rocking GNR moment in that early style. 

Definetly agree. The question is are gnr capable of doing the exact same thing with this lineup if as slash says " they could do an album tour album"  cycle.