Slash: Richard Fortus Brought Out Some of My Best Guitar Playing. He's Awesome

4 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Can't wait for all the crazy Izzy fans to come in and ruin this thread :facepalm:

4 hours ago, History2010 said:

oh my god the izzy crowd is gonna lose their fucking minds

One Izzy fan reporting for duty, ready to "ruin the thread":P 

I think some people might be overestimating the level of crazy on this forum, it's really not that bad.

Seriously speaking, IMO Fortus is a good guitarist and he definitely doesn't ruin the band's sound or anything like that.  Obviously people who are musicians themselves can give more professional take on this subject.  When it comes to Slash, I'm sure his compliments are honest. And that's a good thing, because it would be pretty sad if he had been touring for years with a guy who's playing he doesn't like. 

BTW @RONIN, nice pictures. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

1 minute ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I think some people might be overestimating the level of crazy on this forum, it's really not that bad. 

I think he's more talking about the ones who state their opinion while being disrespectful in the process. There's several Izzy die hards that I've been able to disagree with while still having a productive conversation.

• Like 3

I was surprised that nobody had commented on this quote when the original interview was posted:

Apparently most stopped reading after the quote about new music :lol:

Slash said similar things in the Rolling Stone interview as well:

It was always was a challenge to find someone else you could play with who wasn’t Izzy, so how does it work with Richard Fortus?

Richard has got a great sensibility. He’s very much a rock & roll guitar player, but technically, he’s an amazing guitar player. He’s very rooted in the kind of rock guitar we were all influenced by. So it makes him very, very easy to work with. He’s not going through the motions, he’s not posing, you know, so to speak. So, that’s how that works.

Considering that when asked about Frank he's just said the typical polite stuff (at most), I guess he genuinely likes Fortus.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

We should ask Slash again when one of them isn't part of this band anymore :P

I won't change my mind just because they get along well.

I don't mind Richard as long as he's not soloing. I'm totally ok with him playing the rhythm guitar parts. But I don't like him soloing. He starts fine on Wish You Were Here but as the jam goes on and the faster his parts become the more he annoys me. He should stick to some CD solos that he already play and to the rhythm guitar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I think he's more talking about the ones who state their opinion while being disrespectful in the process. There's several Izzy die hards that I've been able to disagree with while still having a productive conversation.

exactly this. Some people here love to shit on everything Fotus related and spam how it isn't good unless it has Izzy on it lmao

• GNFNR 1

54 minutes ago, History2010 said:

exactly this. Some people here love to shit on everything Fotus related and spam how it isn't good unless it has Izzy on it lmao

I get what you mean. It's not  fair to trash someone just because they are not your favorite choice for the job. I'm aware that whatever issues I've had with Fortus, they were not really about him as a person or as musician, but more about circumstances around him, so basically about A/S/D. 

I my comment I was referring mostly to the amount of people who act this way, IMO they are not the majority of Izzy fans here.

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i have to agree with slash here!

ricky truly brings the best of slash on the new songs that they wrote together

i truly loved their interplay on "True Reunion" and "I Never Lie"!

and what about that riff exchange in "Benjamin Forever"?!

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!

seriously, these guys need to write more stuff together because what they wrote so far is nothing short of brilliant!

Oh, and its just great that Ricky is guesting on FIVE new songs from Slash's new  album! this is THE PROOF for the HATERS that Slash is not saying great things about Ricky just to be nice! He TRULY likes Ricky's playing! Its TRUE! Did you hear that, you HATERS???

:rofl-lol:

You're trolling again.

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I was actually coming to post the opposite. Richard & Robin? Now THERE'S what live chemistry looks like to me.

I must admit I do agree with this.

However, I think its pretty undeniable that their styles really compliment each other. GNR live in 2016-18 is a beast and a major part of that is down to the two juggernauts on guitar!

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was surprised that nobody had commented on this quote when the original interview was posted:

Apparently most stopped reading after the quote about new music :lol:

Slash said similar things in the Rolling Stone interview as well:

It was always was a challenge to find someone else you could play with who wasn’t Izzy, so how does it work with Richard Fortus?

Richard has got a great sensibility. He’s very much a rock & roll guitar player, but technically, he’s an amazing guitar player. He’s very rooted in the kind of rock guitar we were all influenced by. So it makes him very, very easy to work with. He’s not going through the motions, he’s not posing, you know, so to speak. So, that’s how that works.

Considering that when asked about Frank he's just said the typical polite stuff (at most), I guess he genuinely likes Fortus.

We did discuss it, or was I imagining it? :lol: (Didn’t check the thread... maybe it was in the Wacky thread.) Anyway, some were under the impression that it was a lame praise of Fortus (including me) and others were wondering who he was referring to as „going through the motion“ and what it meant? (Also including me)  Something like posing? Doing windmills in exaggerated frequency? Seen it on Fortus, not on Izzy.

Also, yeah, I’m glad for Slash and Fortus, I hope they like playing together, that’s what it should be all about, right? 

However how an Izzy fan can ruin a thread I don’t get. Whatever, I’m ready to do that job alongsidde @Fourteenbeers, if she’s having me. :lol:

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lio said:

You're trolling again.

you know what else that slash quote reminded me?

it reminded me when slash said basically the same thing about gilby clarke!

oh! and it also reminded me when slash said basically the same thing about dave kushner!

and then later when slash had no more business with gilby and when slash had no more business with kushner he said stuff like izzy was the guy that really complemented him and the guy that really brought the best out of him and that they had this effortless unspoken chemistry or whatever were his words!

so, what is my conclusion?

my conclusion is that slash is 100% genuine and FROM THE HEART when he talks about ricky, gilby and kushner, because all these quotes were given when slash was (is) in business with them!

see? completely uninterested talk!

the quote about izzy, on the other hand, was given when slash was not in a band with izzy, and had no business with izzy, so i am really inclined to believe that they are fake shit and that slash was just... trolling?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

We should ask Slash again when one of them isn't part of this band anymore :P

exactly!

slash always says good stuff about whoever he is playing with. he doesnt exactly keep those statements AFTER he is not playing with them anymore

just ask gilby and kushner

which leads me to believe that slash quotes about ricky are 100% true, genuine and come $traight from his $oul!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

exactly!

slash always says good stuff about whoever he is playing with. he doesnt exactly keep those statements AFTER he is not playing with them anymore

just ask gilby and kushner

which leads me to believe that slash quotes about ricky are 100% true, genuine and come $traight from his $oul!

Listen man. You can state your opinion without sounding condescending or rude. No one has issues with you having your own opinion. It’s how you present it. 

39 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

oh! and it also reminded me when slash said basically the same thing about dave kushner!

and then later when slash had no more business with gilby and when slash had no more business with kushner he said stuff like izzy was the guy that really complemented him and the guy that really brought the best out of him and that they had this effortless unspoken chemistry or whatever were his words!

my conclusion is that slash is 100% genuine and FROM THE HEART when he talks about ricky, gilby and kushner, because all these quotes were given when slash was (is) in business with them!

the quote about izzy, on the other hand, was given when slash was not in a band with izzy, and had no business with izzy, so i am really inclined to believe that they are fake shit and that slash was just... trolling?

You are well versed in Slash Speak I see?? 

Slash always says things that are convenient for the time. 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

I haven't said anything about that. If you're not trolling, please show me "True Reunion" and "I Never Lie". And "Benjamin Forever" while you're at it. Nowhere did I say anything about whether I believe Slash or not. Just simply stated the fact that you are trolling. Again.

Fortus' comments about Slash's playing always seem to bring out the cynic in me. He said same kinda stuff in a video interview early in NITL too and his body language and facial expression seemed suspect to me.

When Fortus says 'Slash pushes himself and doesnt play the same thing twice' for some reason I hear 'Slash just noodles on the CD stuff that he doesnt have the technical ability to duplicate.'

Or even 'Can you believe the dude flirts with the idea of sweep picking but then bails and just does some generic box pattern guitar store lines right there on stage... for millions of dollars... when meanwhile I can duplicate him and everyone else to ever play in Guns because I put in the hard work of practice while he was on the nod?!?!'

Like I say, its just a gut feeling I get.

24 minutes ago, soon said:

Fortus' comments about Slash's playing always seem to bring out the cynic in me. He said same kinda stuff in a video interview early in NITL too and his body language and facial expression seemed suspect to me.

When Fortus says 'Slash pushes himself and doesnt play the same thing twice' for some reason I hear 'Slash just noodles on the CD stuff that he doesnt have the technical ability to duplicate.'

Or even 'Can you believe the dude flirts with the idea of sweep picking but then bails and just does some generic box pattern guitar store lines right there on stage... for millions of dollars... when meanwhile I can duplicate him and everyone else to ever play in Guns because I put in the hard work of practice while he was on the nod?!?!'

Like I say, its just a gut feeling I get.

He can think whatever he wants. Without Slash he still would be a session guitarist for Rihanna

• Like 3

I honestly would love to see Slash with Fortus AND Izzy; although I think the more pressing issue is getting an ACTUAL FUCKING DRUMMER... Deep breathe... Sorry, Frank just irritates me this tour.. not sure why; but Frank sounds like he's gotten worse..

Anywho, I love Fortus' bluesy sound with a more modern technique. The way he plays Madagascar, and some of the solos from earlier tours, i.e. Another Brick in the Wall, intro for Maddy at the 2011 proshot (can't remember the location). If there's one critique I have of this tour, it's the "solo"/"jam" selection. I want to see them have more of a groove together; Slash and Fortus sound great and tight together, but I feel like both of their playing could be showcased on different songs besides GNR ones, like the way NuGNR was

Edited by UsedYourIllusion