Slash: Richard Fortus Brought Out Some of My Best Guitar Playing. He's Awesome

Not really surprising IMHO. If you think about it Fortus has to pretty much be Slash’s ideal rhythm player for Guns. All the chops in the world (which undoubtedly Slash respects)- but as a “session” guy by pedigree- no designs at stealing spotlight or “writing the next record” (though I believe rumors are Fortus was much more creatively involved in CD II material- assuming it ever surfaces).

I mean this with all respect- as I think it’s actually a really smart way to go about pursuing a music career for 99% of musicians- but Richard is a seemingly “made to order” player at the absolute highest level. Can totally see why Slash (and Axl) would find that super appealing- particulary at this point in their careers.

• Like 2

they suck together and bring out the worst in each other

slash is just saying this shit cause his bank account is healthy again 

every song its overblown with too much noodling and no rhthym at all 

it seems that as the years pass slash, axl and duff surprisngly have lost all hearing on what makes or made GNR truly tick 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

Izzy made you who you are, bitch.

Then he took his ball and went home. Guess he should have stopped playing guitar completely then...

No, it was Clapton, Page, Beck, Gallagher, Schenker etc. who made him who he is.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 2

I find all this Fortus hate kinda funny, since during the nugnr years he was one of the more liked members.

I've said since the beginning of the reunion while I'm bummed Izzy isn't involved I was excited to hear what Slash & Richard could do together and at least in my ears they haven't dissapointed. If we ever get a new record I'd love to hear what they can come up with. 

Edited by The Matinator
  • Like 1

Just now, The Matinator said:

I find all this Fortus hate kinda funny, since during the nugnr years he was one of the more liked members.

I've said since the beginning of the reunion while I'm bummed Izzy isn't involved I was excited to hear what Slash & Richard could do together and alt least in my ears they haven't dissapointed. If we ever get a new record I'd love to hear what they can come up with. 

Some fans see Slash up there and suddenly Richard seems like an obstacle perhaps. Like he gets in the way of a truer reunion with Izzy. In former guns lineups Fortus was the most conservative player, at least compared to the other guitarists he shared the stage with. His image seemed to be more accepted as well.

I also don't remember Frank getting the amount of shit he's been getting since the reunion took place, so maybe it's not just Richard.

I think it's not just about Fortus as a player, it's also about the classic line up and how he's not an "original" gunner. Some really don't like his playing style but still, there was more acceptance towards him before the reunion. 

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Frank's drumming. He's not a terrible drummer and not a bad fit for this band. Richard's case is different. I think Slash and him do share a cool musical chemistry. I think they can do very interesting things in the studio and that their musical ideas and playing style could work well together.

• Like 2

I got nothing but sympathy and respect for Fortus, he is a very nice guy and apart from being an awesome player, personally he's my 3rd fav nugnr guitarist. He did very well in nugnr and doing absolutely well with FAKE reunion. But, at the end of the day, he's there cuz he's cheaper than Izzy. That's all. Frank is not worth mentioning. 

Slash can play Fortus songs instead of Izzy songs at fake reunion btw, so he can get more best guitar playing. :D 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

they suck together and bring out the worst in each other

slash is just saying this shit cause his bank account is healthy again 

every song its overblown with too much noodling and no rhthym at all 

it seems that as the years pass slash, axl and duff surprisngly have lost all hearing on what makes or made GNR truly tick 

Classic case of "I personally don't like ___ so it must suck" lol.   Yes Slash clearly is only superficially liking Fortus for monetary gain, even before the reunion when he wanted Richard for his solo band.  Or when he invited him on stage a few nights ago, and talk favorably about him in tons of interviews.  It is impossible that Slash simply just likes Fortus

Fortus isn't the problem. I think we'd all love for Izzy to come back, especially to hear 14 years, but Fortus has done just fine on the NITL tour. I think slash and him will be great in the studio together too. Franks the problem. I hated him pre-reunion and I hate him now. Put a better drummer on stage and a lot of the complaining will stop. I'd also like to point out that Frank isn't the reason some songs are sped up. That's slash and or duff. Franks fills and overuse of cymbals are annoying.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Classic case of "I personally don't like ___ so it must suck" lol.   Yes Slash clearly is only superficially liking Fortus for monetary gain, even before the reunion when he wanted Richard for his solo band.  Or when he invited him on stage a few nights ago, and talk favorably about him in tons of interviews.  It is impossible that Slash simply just likes Fortus

oh im not saying he doesn't like him 

im saying they sound like garbage compared to izzy and slash - simple as that foo

33 minutes ago, default_ said:

Just wanted to say that I like Fortus timbre so much that Id love to have a solo instrumental guitar oriented album from him. One can dream. 

Now that you mention that, it almost seems strange that he doesn't have an album like that. Would be great.

37 minutes ago, default_ said:

Just wanted to say that I like Fortus timbre so much that Id love to have a solo instrumental guitar oriented album from him. One can dream. 

As much as I appreciated Bumblefoot bringing back songs like Don't Cry and being an all around good guy, his guitar tone (or whatever it's called) never seemed right. Fortus' tone is amazing. His playing just sounds "right", if that makes sense. Do I like everything he does on the Appetite songs? No, but he's the best alternative to Izzy.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

As much as I appreciated Bumblefoot bringing back songs like Don't Cry and being an all around good guy, his guitar tone (or whatever it's called) never seemed right. Fortus' tone is amazing. His playing just sounds "right", if that makes sense. Do I like everything he does on the Appetite songs? No, but he's the best alternative to Izzy.

I'm a big fan of bumblefoot's solo stuff as well as him in nugnr but you're right. Estranged never had the same feedback or crying effect that slash could master. Fortus is the best alternative to izzy although izzy provided some solid backing vocals and had a very cool stage presence that Fortus doesn't give off. Playing wise though, Fortus seems to do circles around Izzy and compliments slash's lead parts well. 

I'll say it a million times... My dislike for Fortus is Gn'R has NOTHING to do with Izzy.  I would love more than anything for Izzy to be a part of this but that is out of my control.. I simply don't like what Fortus brings to the table.. He does a good job on some songs and others I do not like what he does at all.  I don't deny his talent, I just don't think him and Slash sound great together and I think he tries to hard sometimes and it detracts from the classic vibe of iconic songs songs.

• Like 2