Slash: Richard Fortus Brought Out Some of My Best Guitar Playing. He's Awesome

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

Thing with Bucket and Bumble, their stuff sounds like the guitar equivalent of that "drummer at the wrong gig" video.

Feels like Fortus was better at playing with, and for the band.

I think I know what you mean, but I liked that contrast in the band in style, especially on the new stuff. maybe it's a matter of taste. To me Fortus was the best for the old material. all that aside, Slash and Fortus just fit musically really well so it turned out to be a pretty great combo of players.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:08 PM, Stro said:

Slash has zero interaction on stage with anyone but Myles during SMKC shows and that's almost always only during introductions. Slash is off in his own world when playing, these days more than ever I assume due to the usage of ear monitors. Guess he hates The Conspirators as well.

Better to be lost in the music than strung out on drugs and drunk every show

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Interesting quote from this article, especially the bit about other guitarists who were being considered. I wonder who he's referring to, maybe Ashba?

Or maybe even Bumblefoot and Robin Finck? I think that the original plans for the NITL tour might have included a three guitar player band. Slash + Richard/DJ.

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Interesting quote from this article, especially the bit about other guitarists who were being considered. I wonder who he's referring to, maybe Ashba?

Yes, I think it's probably Ashba. Bumblefoot had quit before the reunion, I think.

Ashba said that Axl wanted him in the reunion but he quit because he didn't want to get in the way. I've always thought that he didn't make the decision on his own, but Slash vetoed him in the negotiations, so he was told by Axl's camp/TB to resign.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

You and Richard Fortus make a formidable team indeed. What is it about his playing that helps bring out the best in yours?

“Sit me down with a guitar by myself and I might not know what I’m doing or find things that will impress people. It tends to be within the context of the music I play over that allows me to go places. Richard is a really cool player in that he has this technical ability that means he can sit there with a guitar and play a lot of amazing stuff that’s still very emotive. 

“It’s one of the reasons why when Guns N’ Roses started back up, I really leaned towards playing with him. Because there were a couple of other guys who used to be in the band too that were being considered, but I jammed with Richard because he was the first guy there and I knew he was fuckin’ great. He helps me out because we do a lot of soloing off each other.

“When he’s doing his own cool stuff, it pushes me into doing something different that’s the exact opposite. And vice versa, sometimes I’ll go for something really fast and he’ll do something bluesy to counteract that. It’s a good natural relationship. We never sat down to work things out; that’s generally how I like to work with other guitarists… it’s all I’ve ever done. It’s nice that we can pick off each other’s feel.” 

That is interesting. It does sound as if Axl gave Slash some say so in who his counterpart would be for the tour. I just can’t even imagine Slash giving thought to anybody from Nu-Guns other than Fortus. I would imagine Slash is speaking of Gilby or perhaps even Izzy. But, nobody else from the Nu-Guns era. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

11 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That is interesting. It does sound as if Axl gave Slash some say so in who his counterpart would be for the tour. I just can’t even imagine Slash giving thought to anybody from Nu-Guns other than Fortus. I would imagine Slash is speaking of Gilby or perhaps even Izzy. But, nobody else from the Nu-Guns era. 

That's clearly written from a fan's point of view, because you would like to have Izzy or Gilby back. I can tell you that things don't work like that. 

He said: "Because there were a couple of other guys who used to be in the band too". This list of people could include anybody. Hell, even Paul Tobias.

Edited by Sosso

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/slash-technique-can-become-the-main-aspiration-but-for-me-its-more-about-expressing-some-sort-of-emotional-content

Asbha says Axl asked him to stay in the band for the reunion so maybe he was being considered to replace Fortus for the rhythm spot? 

12 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

“It’s one of the reasons why when Guns N’ Roses started back up, I really leaned towards playing with him. Because there were a couple of other guys who used to be in the band too that were being considered, but I jammed with Richard because he was the first guy there and I knew he was fuckin’ great. He helps me out because we do a lot of soloing off each other.

Fascinating. Another piece of the puzzle in how this reunion came together. 

The only logical choices as others have mentioned - Ashba and Gilby. We know for a fact that Gilby was asked to participate in the reunion and he played with Slash at the HOF in 2012. If Slash is referring to Izzy in that quote though, he's completely lost his marbles like the redhead.

5 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Fascinating. Another piece of the puzzle in how this reunion came together. 

The only logical choices as others have mentioned - Ashba and Gilby. We know for a fact that Gilby was asked to participate in the reunion and he played with Slash at the HOF in 2012. If Slash is referring to Izzy in that quote though, he's completely lost his marbles like the redhead.

Slash says he jammed with Fortus "because he was the first guy there" (and he "knew he was great").

Does "first" mean that Fortus was the first of the NuGnR members Slash met or that he was the oldest member of the other guitarists that were being considered?

If it means the latter, then it's definitely Ashba.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, Stro said:

Ron's tone in 2010-2014 was exceptional wtf

It was much better when he used a different guitar during some songs like Estranged. Other than that, he sounded terrible with Axl :shrugs:

23 hours ago, James Bond said:

If anybody on this planet chose Ashba over Fortus then I would fear for the future of humanity. Fortus might be guilty of overplaying sometimes but at least he actually knows how to play the instrument.

If anyone was considered besides Fortus, I have to assume it would've been Ron. I know Ashba has said he was in the mix, but we know not to put to much stock into what DJ says lol. Ron had no interest in staying with GN'R though, so I'm guessing that factored into Richard being the guy.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:20 PM, Sosso said:

That's clearly written from a fan's point of view, because you would like to have Izzy or Gilby back. I can tell you that things don't work like that. 

He said: "Because there were a couple of other guys who used to be in the band too". This list of people could include anybody. Hell, even Paul Tobias.

It is definitely from a fans perspective. But, nah, on the Gilby or Izzy. It doesn’t matter who is the rhythm player to me. I found the band during the UYI era, so While I appreciate Izzy and many contributions, I never romanticized his involvement with a reunion. I knew after VR that he just wasn’t interested in being in a big band. And, Axl already said no UYI era personnel. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 5:57 AM, Blackstar said:

Slash says he jammed with Fortus "because he was the first guy there" (and he "knew he was great").

Does "first" mean that Fortus was the first of the NuGnR members Slash met or that he was the oldest member of the other guitarists that were being considered?

If it means the latter, then it's definitely Ashba.

Nice catch there. I think it's the former scenario you mentioned - Fortus was probably the first player he rehearsed with. I don't think Ashba really had a chance to get in on this given that he had the "Slash" role in the band prior to the reunion. Unless there's some truth to those insane rumors that Axl still wanted a 3 guitar lineup for the reunion.

Also, if Frank made the final cut (someone Sluff reportedly had difficulties gelling with initially), I suspect Fortus/Frank were heavily backed by Axl to be a part of this whole thing and Slash/Duff just went with it as a way of appeasing him.

Even Brain wasn't considered for the gig despite being far superior to Frank - and we know from his interviews, he would have leaped at this if given the chance. The only guy who didn't make it into NITL was Pittman and even he was there until the 11th hour before getting the axe - and only because he ran his mouth. Point being, I think Axl was very loyal to his Ashba era lineup - he even admitted in that China Exchange interview to being very fond of that lineup. :blink: Having said that, maybe there was some truth to those Ashba rumors then and it was the one Axl request that Slash vetoed. 

Personally, I think Slash's preferred choice would have been Gilby since he brought him in for the HOF induction. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Point being, I think Axl was very loyal to his Ashba era lineup - he even admitted in that China Exchange interview to being very fond of that lineup. :blink: 

I have to admit that I thought about that in a similar way. Bumblefoot, Richard, Tommy, Chris and the others are very talented musicians. Even DJ was not an anonymous for the music business, as he was the songwriter and producer for a couple of albums. This line-up definitely had potential, but you could also say that about every other line-up :blink::lol:

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1