The rumored 2006 Reunion (Vintage)

Lets look at things in retrospect:

Who was managing Axl in 2006? Merck.

The album needed to be completed and they were short on funds, so, maybe the business people got their foot in the door to suggest that a few reunion shows would shower them with income and provide a ton of publicity so that when Chinese was to come out, it would have both a high profile and some of the sting removed from it.

Having given the masses the reunion they wanted, nu-GN'R would have a less hostile critical reaction to Chinese Democracy.

Obviously, Axl never went for it and I doubt that it was something he wanted. Both of those goals ran contrary to each other, but in the run up to the album release, I'm sure there were people saying "look at it from this perspective...you're helping Chinese Democracy by doing this..."

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think there might have been some truth to those rumours, but not necessarily that the "sensational" information in the Classic Rock article was correct.

Sensational articles like this are probably part of the reason Slash now has them sign a contract.

Agreed - it's framed in a tabloid-ish way. There are also a few inaccuracies in that article. Any thoughts on their claim that Axl allegedly wanted Slash and Duff to sign over their rights to the back catalogue in exchange for a multiple 7 figure reunion payout?

Edited by RONIN

I still find it a bit hard to believe. With the 2016 reunion, which seems to have started in 2015, Bumblefoot had left, Tommy was busy with The Replacements before they broke up again, and Ashba was either gonna be a part of it or not before he quit depending on who you believe. In 2006, Axl still had everyone from the 2002 line-up minus Buckethead. What would he have told Finck, Fortus, Stinson, Brain, and Pitman? Pretty awkward conversation :P Plus, he seemed really dedicated to Chinese Democracy coming out that year.

On Axl Rose's claim that Slash made an unannounced 5:30 a.m. visit to Rose's house in October 2005 during which he stated, among other things, that "Duff was spineless," "Scott[Weiland] was a fraud," and that he "hates Matt Sorum":

Slash: "I'm not gonna go into the whole long thing. It was just something that he [Axl] decided he was going to… It was a lot of this stuff was built to promote the next GUNS record and the tour and all that kind of stuff, 'cause there was this blatantly fabricated thing in there that I'd gone to his house and that he and I had a conversation in which I said all this stuff about my bandmates. And it's just blatantly untrue. For one, I have not talked to the guy in any way, shape or form since 1996, so it's going on 11 years. [Laughs] So that's basically it. There's just no truth to it. And all things considered, it put lot of whatever in people's minds that I was that kind of a guy, so it's… there you have it. So it's not true."

Isn't this something of a thunderous lie? I could be mistaken but didn't he at some point confirm he did go to Axl's house? Also during the time he was fucked up again, he may not have gotten to Axl but the story certainly seems far more plausible now than it did then.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Agreed - there are some inaccuracies in that article. When you say sensational, are you referring to their claim that Axl allegedly wanted Slash and Duff to sign over their rights to the back catalogue in exchange for a 7 figure reunion payout?

Yes. I doubt it happened like the article says.

If there was any truth to it, I think it was that Axl bargained an one-off reunion for a buyout of Slash's and Duff's shares in the partnership (with the reunion money being the buyout money).

39 minutes ago, RONIN said:

In 2006, Axl Rose reconnected with Izzy, Matt Sorum, and Steven Adler. Beta had already met Slash in October 2005. Reunion rumors reached a fever pitch in early-mid 2006 as did the rumors of Velvet Revolver breaking up. It's entirely possible that Axl's 2006 press release revealing Slash's meeting w/ Beta very nearly broke up VR.

Alan Niven had also commented on the "Slash night visit scandal" in 2006 with an e-mail to Metal Sludge:

http://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=31199

I MANAGED GUNS N’ ROSES FROM 1986 TO 1991, AND IN SO DOING, OVERSAW THE PRE-PRODUCTION OF ‘APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION’, ‘LIES’ AND ‘USE YOUR ILLUSIONS’.

I WAS ALSO PRESENT AT SEVERAL REHEARSALS DURING THE FORMATION OF VELVET REVOLVER AND I HAVE SEEN THEM PERFORM ‘LIVE’. [I PASSED ON AN INVITATION TO MANAGE THE BAND, PRIOR TO THE EMPLOYMENT OF SCOTT WEILLAND, FOR PERSONAL REASONS].

CATEGORICALLY, SLASH IS UTTERLY ACCURATE – MR WEILLAND IS, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, A CLUELESS POSTURING FRAUD, OF NO PARTICULAR OR OBVIOUS ABILITIES, INCLUDING, AND MOST APPARENTLY, COMPOSITION. THE BAND IS A THOROUGH WASTE OF A TRULY GREAT GUITAR PLAYER AND TERRIFIC RHYTHM SECTION. [THEIR OUTPUT HAS BEEN ENTIRELY FORGETTABLE AND ONE DIMENSIONAL].

AS FOR MR ROSE, I HAVE NO DOUBT HE IS STILL GENUINELY AND PROFOUNDLY GIFTED, AND IT IS SELF EVIDENT THAT HE HAS PROVIDED MORE INSIGHT AND MEMORABILITY IN A SINGLE LINE OF COMPOSITION THAN MR WEILLAND HAS MANAGED IN AN ENTIRE CAREER.

FOR THE RECORD, MR ROSE WROTE THE MAJORITY OF THE MELODIES AND LYRICS ON THE GUNS RECORDS, WHICH INCLUDE THE BEST SELLING ROCK DEBUT OF OUR TIMES, WITH 16,000,000 SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES ALONE.

HE SHARED THE SPOTLIGHT WITH INDIVIDUALS WHOSE EXCELLENCE IS REFLECTED IN SUCH SALES FIGURES.

WHAT MIGHT NOT BE UNDERSTOOD IS THAT HE, AND THE OTHER BAND COMPOSERS, EMPLOYED A COURTESY SHARING OF SO CALLED MECHANICAL INCOME – GRACE AND JUDGEMENT IN ACTION.

MR WEILLAND, OF COURSE, EXHIBITS NEITHER GRACE NOR JUDGEMENT IN HIS DELUSIONAL UTTERANCES, AND IN MY VIEW, NO DISCERNABLE TALENT EITHER.

I HAVE HELD THIS OPINION FROM THOSE VERY FIRST REHEARSALS, AND CONSIDER HIM BETTER EMPLOYED BY HIS FORMER BAND, WHERE HE COULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR COMPOSING ABILITIES ONCE MORE.

PERHAPS THEN WE COULD ALL GET DOWN TO THE VERY SERIOUS, AND BIG, BUSINESS OF REFORMING THE GREATEST, AND MOST RELEVANT, ROCK BAND, [DISPENSING WITH THE COURT SPATS THAT SUCK THE JUICE OUT OF LIFE ITSELF],  FOR THE DELIGHT OF MILLIONS OF FANS, A MULTITUDE OF WHICH, THE SECOND AND THIRD GENERATION OF ADMIRERS, HAVE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE FLORAL ARTILLERY IN LIVING MAGNIFICENCE.

THE INDUSTRY COULD CERTAINLY USE A SHOT OF GENUINELY TALENTED FIREPOWER.

SINCERELY

ALAN NIVEN

It seems that some people then thought it was fake (I guess because he defended Axl and trashed Scott), and Niven sent another e-mail saying it was really him:

In response to doubters, cynics and jaundiced web white noise, yes, I did indeed author the statement concerning Scott Whyslam and his remarks about Mr Axl Rose.

The primary motive was to counter an ignorant and rude diatribe; no one ought belittle Guns n’ Roses achievements or disparage their place in rock n’roll -number one is number one and 16,000,000 debut sales remain unmatched.

A secondary motive was to point out the obvious – time is now – and who wouldn’t get off the Internet to see a reunion? 

Concerning room chattering;

1. I am a vegetarian and consequently I am unqualified to be placed at McDonalds.

2. I write in caps because my eyes are full. I have seen nothing much more than a thieving world consuming its own children. Have we done nothing more than teach cannibals the use of cutlery? Is that all thats been learnt? 

There is a higher ground, y’know, where the journey is the destination. And no one gets a free ride.

So my darling little webrats, try to think before you blab or blog. 

Try to Imagine – love love and only love.

Alan Niven

Interesting that he took it as given that Slash really said those things.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Towlie said:

I'm curious to know how beta and Slash sorted their shit out from the run in at Axl's house.

Fun read, some timeline holes here and there but I imagine the label and management had the most to gain from a reunion so there could have been stuff on their end going on. 

I think Slash is pretty embarrassed by the house visit thing and likely apologized for it. It’s not something he’d want to admit to obviously. I don’t see Axl’s team making it up either. 

11 minutes ago, killuridols said:

All of that sounds pretty real, knowing the kind of people Guns are..... it makes sense because at some point Axl stopped being mad at most of the original lineup, sans Slash....

Like he said at China Exchange, it was a power struggle all the way, I believe even up til 2015.

"I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was.." - January 17th, 2006

"For over 10 years Slash, a consummate press, photo and media opportunist and manipulator, has attacked Axl Rose on a number of levels." - Axl's lawyer, March 07 2006

:facepalm:

18 minutes ago, RONIN said:

"I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was.." - January 17th, 2006

For the record, Axl said later that he had used past tense:

Didn't you say you loved him in what -- '06?
No. I said "loved," as in past tense. It was a misquote by a writer I mistook as a fan.
[Spinner, February 2009]

I think it's possible that he had used past tense, considering the context of the 2006 quote:

As for a reunion with his former G n' R mates, that seems unlikely. "I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was, but.... I was just talking to Izzy the other day though."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2882-2006-01-16-quotes-from-axl-rolling-stone

• Like 1

Crazy looking back on this. It was so long ago and doesn't even feel like it. Back i 2006, I thought it was FOREVER since Slash and Duff were in GNR, but it was only about a decade. It would be nearly another decade till Coachella. Wild ride for sure.

The salacious stories above feature a lot of half-truths though.

The label I'm sure wanted the reunion to bolster a new GNR record. But if they got the reunion gigs, then they would have delayed the record even longer pushing for Slash and Duff to be on it. Slash couldn't have just returned for a spot show or two and then gone on his way. Who would then take GNR with Ashba seriously, you know?

If the label wasn't pushing so hard for a reunion, I think we would have gotten Chinese long before 2008.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

For the record, Axl said later that he had used past tense:

Didn't you say you loved him in what -- '06?
No. I said "loved," as in past tense. It was a misquote by a writer I mistook as a fan.
[Spinner, February 2009]

I think it's possible that he had used past tense, considering the context of the 2006 quote:

As for a reunion with his former G n' R mates, that seems unlikely. "I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was, but.... I was just talking to Izzy the other day though."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2882-2006-01-16-quotes-from-axl-rolling-stone

Yeah, seems plausible enough. It cracks me up how he said something positive about Slash [for the first time in years] and then 6 weeks later completely trashed him via his lawyer in that press release. 

It really begs the question - what happened between January to March 2006 to set all this drama off? :blink:

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

If there was any truth to it, I think it was that Axl bargained an one-off reunion for a buyout of Slash's and Duff's shares in the partnership (with the reunion money being the buyout money).

Yep - I think you nailed it. Much likelier possibility than simply asking for their stake in the back catalogue. I wouldn't put it past Rose to have presented a proposal like that - it's a slick business move that would have given a massive amount of PR for the release of CD later that year and severed all business ties with the old lineup. Win/win for Axl really.

Alan Niven had also commented on the "Slash night visit scandal" in 2006 with an e-mail to Metal Sludge:

http://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=31199

It seems that some people then thought it was fake (I guess because he defended Axl and trashed Scott), and Niven sent another e-mail saying it was really him:

Interesting that he took it as given that Slash really said those things.

I'm a Niven apologist as you know, but reading that article - dear god, the man is a kook. :monkey:

Not sure if Niven mistook Axl's press-release for established fact but I find it rather telling that afaik Slash never released an official press release rebutting Axl's claims. And then you have all the internal turmoil in VR and Duff sidestepping the issue entirely without defending Slash in his press release. That alone speaks volumes. Wasn't there major turmoil in VR over the making of Libertad? The band vibes for VR around that time seem toxic. I can't imagine Slash was happy with how things were heading - maybe he thought VR's break-up was imminent and that's what prompted the visit to Axl's house. 

One point of interest for me is how in January 2006, you have Slash mentioning Chinese Democracy - and then weeks later, Axl says something nice about Slash for the first time since that Rolling Stone article in '99/00. Coincidence or was there a brief detente between the Axl/Slash camp in late 2005/early 2006....:shrugs:

Then you have this from Marc Canter:

Slash and Duff did some things on there own and felt it was time to start working together again. This had nothing to do with what Axl was doing. Slash went to Axl's house to try to work out a lawsuit. The note said lets work this out or something like that. Perla was the one who pushed Slash to try to get back with Axl. She wanted a reunion more then anyone. As far as Slash talking shit about the VR guys, I'm sure it was true. Why did he lie about it at first, because he would have broke his bridge in VR if he didn't. In this case I would have also lied. Who wouldn't have? He tried to patch things up with Axl and if Scott knew about it, VR would have been over. This was the reason Slash didn't get up on stage with Steven in 2007 20th year gig. Scott was putting too much presser not to do some kind of reunion.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/189917-marc-thoughts-on-vrscott-weiland-and-slashs-supposed-visit-to-axls-home/

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

"For over 10 years Slash, a consummate press, photo and media opportunist and manipulator, has attacked Axl Rose on a number of levels." - Axl's lawyer, March 07 2006

:facepalm:

:lol:

I dont know..... Im sure Axl has always loved Slash but he remained upset with Slash for a long time despite his inner feelings. Even during China Exchange, he took the chance to throw a little dagger :P...... but it is normal, I guess, because unconditional love is only reserved for the offspring.

What I get from all the quotes you posted is that it is very plausible that all of that happened and still, they couldn't get to an arrangement at the time, because there were lots of people involved (something they've mentioned recently) and each of them were probably pushing their own agendas: the managers who wanted a reunion, Axl who wanted to prove nuGuns was worth it and TB supporting anything Axl wanted at the time, VR trying to survive, Slash wanting back in GN'R, Adler screaming for reunion and I don't know where Izzy was standing but he probably was up for a reunion as well.

It's funny that Axl put all the blame and fury on Slash calling him all those names in the letter...... but looking back in retrospective, those words sound like coming from someone who was terribly wounded about something and was stuck in a place of darkness, anger and frustration, not knowing how to channel it or transform it into something not so negative for his own mental health and life in general.

2 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

On Axl Rose's claim that Slash made an unannounced 5:30 a.m. visit to Rose's house in October 2005 during which he stated, among other things, that "Duff was spineless," "Scott[Weiland] was a fraud," and that he "hates Matt Sorum":

Slash: "I'm not gonna go into the whole long thing. It was just something that he [Axl] decided he was going to… It was a lot of this stuff was built to promote the next GUNS record and the tour and all that kind of stuff, 'cause there was this blatantly fabricated thing in there that I'd gone to his house and that he and I had a conversation in which I said all this stuff about my bandmates. And it's just blatantly untrue. For one, I have not talked to the guy in any way, shape or form since 1996, so it's going on 11 years. [Laughs] So that's basically it. There's just no truth to it. And all things considered, it put lot of whatever in people's minds that I was that kind of a guy, so it's… there you have it. So it's not true."

Isn't this something of a thunderous lie? I could be mistaken but didn't he at some point confirm he did go to Axl's house? Also during the time he was fucked up again, he may not have gotten to Axl but the story certainly seems far more plausible now than it did then.

Slash is slyly not lying.

Its true that he and Axl did not have that conversation. Slash said what he said through the intercom to the nanny :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

The label I'm sure wanted the reunion to bolster a new GNR record. But if they got the reunion gigs, then they would have delayed the record even longer pushing for Slash and Duff to be on it. Slash couldn't have just returned for a spot show or two and then gone on his way. Who would then take GNR with Ashba seriously, you know?

If the label wasn't pushing so hard for a reunion, I think we would have gotten Chinese long before 2008.

I dunno, I feel like knowing what we do about how late in the process the songs on the album were being worked on (Shackler's being partly about the 2007 VTech shooter, Bumblefoot saying he added parts almost last minute), I tend to believe Merck's comments about "the muse" in 2006:

The reality is all of this year's touring was planned and agreed between Axl and myself, with a view to the album being in the stores before the 31st of December '06. This was confirmed by Axl in numerous interviews - most famously at the MTV Video Music Awards. We planned the tour in February, just after Axl's birthday and we were supposed to finish the album in May, before it started. We sent our engineers to New York, where we all waited, for over a month, for the muse to come but she never arrived. We then scheduled sessions in London in August and had our engineers meet us there at the end of the English tour. August came and went and once again the muse did not show. We postponed our proposed radio date of Labour Day for the first single and we came back to LA and tried to finish before the San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles shows but yet again she eluded us. Axl then asked me to postpone the North American tour which was due to start on 24th of September by a month and finally, early in that period after the euphoria of Inland Invasion, Axl made a break through and got two or three very productive days under his belt.

At this point we were very excited as Axl's feeling was that we had two or three days of work left to tidy things up and we still had three weeks before the tour started, so we were in good shape. Unfortunately the muse disappeared just as fast as she came and the tour started with no single at radio to support it and the album still needing two or three days of work. Despite this, it was a break through period as Robin, Bumblefoot and Frank had all made important contributions to the album that made it even stronger. By the way none of the above is meant as a criticism of Axl. It is the reality of trying to create something special under incredible pressure from the public - that wants and DEMANDS the record - and the record industry - that NEEDS it. The creative process is not something you can dictate and Axl is a true artist.

At this time I seriously considered postponing the start of the tour, again, as the album was of paramount importance but the reality was that our historic track record left us with very little good will with you, the fans, and we needed the money to be able to complete the album and keep the band alive. We scheduled sessions in New York and once again sent the engineers there for the first two weeks of November while the tour was based there - but the hectic touring schedule meant nothing got done. The record company refused to conclude the renegotiation until we were ready to hand over the finished album and refused to prepare a marketing campaign or commission video treatments until they had it in their hands. This is still their position as of this week.

At this point despite the success of many of the dates on the tour the pressure on all of us became unbearable. While some of Axl's letter is disappointing - As John Lennon once asked Paul McCartney "How Do You Sleep?" - until you have walked a mile in his shoes you cannot begin to comprehend the pressure he is under. I know I sleep well at night in the knowledge that when Chinese Democracy hits the streets in March that it is in large part down to my efforts over the last almost 5 years. I found the money and the motivation to keep Axl and the band alive and get the record made when everyone else had given up and walked away. We worked as a team united to make Chinese Democracy a reality. In the end the album will speak for itself but our relationship could not survive the pressure.

I have no regrets. I believe Chinese Democracy is one of the best albums ever made, Axl Rose is one of the greatest vocalists and front men and the new Guns N' Roses (which kicks the shit out of the old) is one of the greatest bands. What we accomplished in 2006 only hints at what is to come.

I believe in Axl Rose. I am the artist's manager and it is my responsibility and job to take the heat. I promise you Chinese Democracy is worth it and you should keep the faith. I will walk away knowing I have done my best and that next year will see Axl recognized not only as a great singer and rock icon but as one of the greatest artists of all time.

11 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

Correct.

Slash acknowledges that he turned up at the gates of Axl Rose's Malibu house one day in October 2005, but he says it was to try to quash a messy lawsuit over Guns publishing royalties. 

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/velvet-revolver-appetite-for-destruction-76608/

Where merck talks about the "muse" and mentions "she" who is that person?. I bet perla and slash rocked up at 5.30am because they were probably back into drugs. I mean who rocks up to soneones place at 5.30am for really no reason?.

I believe axls events as i beleive hes more honest than slash (flash) when it comes to stuff in general.

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Where merck talks about the "muse" and mentions "she" who is that person?. I bet perla and slash rocked up at 5.30am because they were probably back into drugs. I mean who rocks up to soneones place at 5.30am for really no reason?.

I believe axls events as i beleive hes more honest than slash (flash) when it comes to stuff in general.

Fairly certain it's not an actual person, it's just the spark that Axl needs to get anything accomplished musically. Axl couldn't find his inspiration, so nothing got done.

Also, I'm pretty certain it was said that Slash was sloshed when he showed up at Axl's gate, and Perla pushed him to do it anyway.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Lets look at things in retrospect:

Who was managing Axl in 2006? Merck.

The album needed to be completed and they were short on funds, so, maybe the business people got their foot in the door to suggest that a few reunion shows would shower them with income and provide a ton of publicity so that when Chinese was to come out, it would have both a high profile and some of the sting removed from it.

Having given the masses the reunion they wanted, nu-GN'R would have a less hostile critical reaction to Chinese Democracy.

Obviously, Axl never went for it and I doubt that it was something he wanted. Both of those goals ran contrary to each other, but in the run up to the album release, I'm sure there were people saying "look at it from this perspective...you're helping Chinese Democracy by doing this..."

Honestly, I think the reaction to CD would've been worse had they done that. It probably would've been a "oh look, they can play some shows together but can't make music together?" kind of thing. Giving people a taste of the thing they truly wanted and then going back to the nu-Guns line up would've been very weird, imo.