The rumored 2006 Reunion (Vintage)

Duff was the one that to the public seemed the least involved in the 06 reunion but in the end he was the one that was most likely to be in the band at the time

Edited by Guest

Really enjoyed reading this topic, thanks @RONIN.

Remember at the time when this was talked about and never thought it got the attention that it deserved.

The forum always seemed to acknowledge it but it was always anecdotal rather than with a multitude of sources.

Just imagine what the 2006 reunion shows would’ve been like. 2 shows and quits? Wonder if that would’ve led to a full blown reunion tour like we have today (any pedants that want to come back and say it’s not a reunion tour now, please save your breath) or if it would’ve completely imploded! (that’s my guess)

• GNFNR 1

12 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Correct.

Slash acknowledges that he turned up at the gates of Axl Rose's Malibu house one day in October 2005, but he says it was to try to quash a messy lawsuit over Guns publishing royalties. 

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/velvet-revolver-appetite-for-destruction-76608/

Yeah, pretty far from a "blatantly fabricated thing."

10 hours ago, chevelle said:

Honestly, I think the reaction to CD would've been worse had they done that. It probably would've been a "oh look, they can play some shows together but can't make music together?" kind of thing. Giving people a taste of the thing they truly wanted and then going back to the nu-Guns line up would've been very weird, imo.

It wouldn't have worked from a critical perspective but it would have helped commercially, which is why I think the whole rumor of a 2006 reunion was real - but only from the business end...

I don't believe that while he was so close to finishing his dream project, Axl would contemplate reuniting the old band and diminishing the credibility of his new band. I believe he had people telling him he could use a minimal reunion to give his new album attention, relevance and possibly, credibility.

That's the only way it would make sense; that somebody got their foot in the door to at least purpose using a reunion as a platform to promote Chinese Democracy.  

10 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I don't believe that while he was so close to finishing his dream project, Axl would contemplate reuniting the old band and diminishing the credibility of his new band. I believe he had people telling him he could use a minimal reunion to give his new album attention, relevance and possibly, credibility.

True but if (as Blackstar mentioned) the deal was that he would get Duff/Slash to relinquish their shares in the partnership for a multiple 7-figure reunion payout, then it would absolutely be in Axl's best interest to do the reunion shows. Given how Axl operates, it seems entirely plausible he may have dangled that kind of offer in front of Slash/Duff before their lawyers read the fineprint and promptly declined.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:52 AM, CAFC Nick said:

Correct.

Slash acknowledges that he turned up at the gates of Axl Rose's Malibu house one day in October 2005, but he says it was to try to quash a messy lawsuit over Guns publishing royalties. 

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/velvet-revolver-appetite-for-destruction-76608/

Wasn't that whole the lawsuit down to a clerical error?

2 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Wasn't that whole the lawsuit down to a clerical error?

There were two lawsuits, one Slash and Duff filed in 2004 and one filed in 2005 over a thing that most likely was indeed a clerical error.

Slash probably wanted to settle the first one when he visited Axl's house.

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

True but if (as Blackstar mentioned) the deal was that he would get Duff/Slash to relinquish their shares in the partnership for a multiple 7-figure reunion payout, then it would absolutely be in Axl's best interest to do the reunion shows. Given how Axl operates, it seems entirely plausible he may have dangled that kind of offer in front of Slash/Duff before their lawyers read the fineprint and promptly declined.

The bit in the Classic Rock article about the alleged small print that was sneakily put into the contract is among what I consider "sensational". I think if  that deal offer really happened, it's more possible that it wasn't anything 'sneaky", just a straightforward offer from one side's people to the other side's people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The bit in the Classic Rock article about the alleged small print that was sneakily put into the contract is among what I consider "sensational". I think if  that deal offer really happened, it's more possible that it wasn't anything 'sneaky", just a straightforward offer from one side's people to the other side's people.

You're probably right but we must remember that Axl and his legal shenanigans are peerless. :lol: