Axl's Magnum Opus

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that so many people seem to mention Prostitute as one of their favorite GNR songs. I thought is was one of the better few songs on the CD album we got, but I always remember feeling the first few years after leaks/CD release feeling GNR forum peeps didnt like it that much. Admittedly I haven't been as active in recent years on the boards so maybe I just missed it growing on people. 

I personally preferred the leak version because the added guitar chords over the chorus really drowned out the string sections that I thought were great on their own, that guitar was way to loud in comparison.

Edited by amacfantasy

I think IF we had gotten Chinese Democracy in the full form Axl probably always wanted like maybe a 3 disc massive album with huge variation in song genre's styles and instrumentation. I think that would of been Axl's magnum opus, and I think that was how he felt but yeah somewhere in between all the madness and human error involved ruined that dream. And me personally the whole mythology behind it all and the time period will always be special to me, but that also makes it kind of sad for me seeing how it ended up happening too or lack there of. I was beyond a super fan as far as anticipating what music Axl had in store for us in the "Dark age". This unreleased material still to this day is magical to me although not nearly like it was a decade plus back.

So with that said song wise I always felt SCOM and November Rain are probably his greatest achievements, even people that don't really like GNR enjoy those songs usually in some form even non-rock people, to me they are his most timeless songs so to speak. Album wise it will likely be Appetite for Destruction it's rare a band creates such an amazing album on their first major attempt and one in particular that is great but also had MASSIVE commercial/pop culture/music significance. I mean WTTJ/SCOM/PC  all on the first album think how big those single songs are. And they have 3 of the most recognizable intros too, I always thought that was odd to get all those on 1 album and the first.

Now me personally if I don't take the bias out of it, UYI albums are probably my most personal to me, so I always had a soft spot for them. Just how it played out for me getting into them, and it was the songs on them that got me into GNR and Axl in the first place. Now admittedly the only problem with UYI as many have mentioned over the years is that there was a good chunk of filler songs, many of them I actually like but just don't love or feel they belong on the same album as say November Rain and Estranged. And if they have trimmed them off and just put the best 15 songs on there or whatever then yeah objectively or subjectively that would of been Axl's magnum opus as far as what we got up to the point.  

I always felt Better and Street of Dreams/Blues were the 2 best songs from the CD songs we got so far, as far as songs that start to finish are great and meet all the criteria for a solid song. And are songs a lot of anti GNR anti Axl people tend to find some goodness in I noticed. Catcher in the Rye is a close third but I'm a bit biased towards it because of how obsessed i was with that song back in the leak days. I'm not sure where to place CD era songs yet into the GNR/Axl history books, because it still feels like there is unfinished business.

Edited by amacfantasy