PS4 vs Xbone

AxlRoseCDII

4 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, it took awhile when I got my X to get things rolling.  I get why they can't update every console going out the factory but it's a tad anticlimactic to get a new video game console and then have to wait for hours to play it.  

Are there any PS4 games that you have already played that you plan on playing again on the X?  I'm curious how much of a graphical bump you notice when comparing the two.  I've heard the difference with RDR2 is quite noticeable.  

I assume I'll get a download code for Madden 19 at least but that's about it. My main reason for coming to the X1X from the PS4 Pro was that no one I know has a PS4 so I didn't have many games. I plan to play a LOT more online now that I have an X1X so I'll be starting fresh for the most part.

My PS4 Pro says it has about 1 hour left on the factory reset and I'm hoping that's accurate. I have a couple of hours of errands to run so I'm hoping to at least get the X1X in place and downloading whatever updates it needs before I have to leave. It would be really nice to have all that done while I'm not even here.

My schedule is always tight on Friday's though because people usually show up to start spinning records by like 6. So if I can't get through all of that today, I'll just have to wait til tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

PC gaming for the win. As consoles inch closer to PC gaming, they are still far behind. At the same time PC gaming is becoming cheaper and more streamlined. It almost becoming a waste of money to be a console gamer imo.

Most young kids and adults who don't have a whole lot of free time or wherewithal to bother with a PC setup that involves continual upgrades and questions of compatibility.  

Some of us only have a few minutes a week to play and prioritize convenience over image fidelity.  

In addition, most of my friends play on an Xbox, so if I want to play online with them then I need to own a console.  

Console graphics are getting good enough that spending double on a PC is making less and less sense.  RDR2 in 4k on my Xbox One X looked phenomenal.  Sure, it might have looked a bit better on a PC, but not worth the hassle for me.

In any event, this all moot since it won't be long before no one owns the hardware and all video games are streamed from either Google, Microsoft, Sony, or publishers themselves.  Everyone will eventually be playing on a PC on way or another, just not one they own themselves.  

29 minutes ago, downzy said:

Most young kids and adults who don't have a whole lot of free time or wherewithal to bother with a PC setup that involves continual upgrades and questions of compatibility.  

Some of us only have a few minutes a week to play and prioritize convenience over image fidelity.  

In addition, most of my friends play on an Xbox, so if I want to play online with them then I need to own a console.  

Console graphics are getting good enough that spending double on a PC is making less and less sense.  RDR2 in 4k on my Xbox One X looked phenomenal.  Sure, it might have looked a bit better on a PC, but not worth the hassle for me.

I all honesty I struggle to see the difference with most games these days. For somebody like me who has been playing games since the days of the Atari VCS I was used to seeing a major leap forward with each new generation. Atari VCS to NES to SNES to N64/PS1 to XBox/PS2 to 360/PS3 were all massive leaps forward in graphical quality. I really don't think that the leap from 360/PS3 to XBone/PS4 was that significant to be honest and even 4K gaming with top end PC graphics cards isn't that much of an improvement over what's already available.

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

There's literally no reason for me to ever own an Xbox at least. I am so looking forward to MCC PC.

P.S. Nintendo Switch is where it's at for consoles. I'm waiting for the new and improved model before re-buying though. PS5 is a maybe way further on down the road but a 3rd system on top of all the games for PC and Switch seems too much.

My thoughts exactly. If you WANT a console, the Switch IS the best choice for portability. If you want top of the line graphics, gameplay, etc PC is the ONLY choice. 

34 minutes ago, downzy said:

In any event, this all moot since it won't be long before no one owns the hardware and all video games are streamed from either Google, Microsoft, Sony, or publishers themselves.  Everyone will eventually be playing on a PC on way or another, just not one they own themselves.  

I thought I heard that xbox is or will be cross platform compatible with PC. Basically Microsoft is trying to get the "traditional" console players ready for PC gaming, because Microsoft is the king of PC's anyways. So to them, they don't view PC gaming as the enemy (like Sony and Nintendo to a lesser degree), they view it as the upcoming reality. Hence why you can buy a game on xbox and NOT have to pay for it again on PC, and vice versa. 

I might be mistaken to a certain degree, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that Microsft WANTS to push people out of consoles eventually. That's the best way to eliminate the competition. 

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

The other thing so great about PC is the versatility. Hardware wise and also all the wonderful modders.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered is coming out which I'm stoked about and for example if it had some textures that were left by the wayside and weren't high enough resolution then chances are modders will fix it and I really appreciate that.

I agree. That's why IMO BOTH the xbox and playstation systems are not wise investments anymore. For one, they will release an "upgraded" version in a year or two after launch, and will ALWAYS be obsolete within 5 years. 

With PC gaming, if you are smart (and have the money), you can build a PC now that's further ahead than ANY console, and will only need a new GPU in 5 or 6 years. That will be able to give you 10 years or so on the same PC. Plus you can do SO MUCH more on a PC. Let's not forget that if you buy the new consoles when they come out (your talking $500 plus). You can build a BETTER PC for $750, and you will make up the difference in NOT having to pay for online gaming, and the lower game prices in general. Most PC games are in the 30-40 range, with sales happening all the time. Compare that to the $60 games on console, plus paying for online gameplay. 

4 hours ago, Dazey said:

I all honesty I struggle to see the difference with most games these days. For somebody like me who has been playing games since the days of the Atari VCS I was used to seeing a major leap forward with each new generation. Atari VCS to NES to SNES to N64/PS1 to XBox/PS2 to 360/PS3 were all massive leaps forward in graphical quality. I really don't think that the leap from 360/PS3 to XBone/PS4 was that significant to be honest and even 4K gaming with top end PC graphics cards isn't that much of an improvement over what's already available.

A friend of mine has a monster PC gaming rig (I think he spent $3k or thereabouts) and where this a difference between his machine and my Xbox One X, it's not nearly enough to justify the price tag let alone all the customizations he had to do to achieve that performance.  

I agree there wasn't much difference between a Xbox360/PS3 and Xbox One/PS4.  The XBX1X and the PS4Pro should have been what the original consoles of this cycle should have been.  I had an Xbox One S and didn't really see much in the way of graphic improvement over the 360.  But when I exchanged it for the XBX1X to play RDR2 I noticed the kind of bump I was hoping to see.  

3 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I thought I heard that xbox is or will be cross platform compatible with PC. Basically Microsoft is trying to get the "traditional" console players ready for PC gaming, because Microsoft is the king of PC's anyways. So to them, they don't view PC gaming as the enemy (like Sony and Nintendo to a lesser degree), they view it as the upcoming reality. Hence why you can buy a game on xbox and NOT have to pay for it again on PC, and vice versa. 

I might be mistaken to a certain degree, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that Microsft WANTS to push people out of consoles eventually. That's the best way to eliminate the competition. 

It's all the same to Microsoft, but it understands that there's a significant (a strong majority) of people who want the convenience of a console.  No need to boot up Windows, mess with device drivers, have issues with game compatibility.  With a console system you're paying a smaller entry fee (generally) to get good enough performance for most.  It's the same with camera technology.  Most people are happy with the images they take with their phones, despite the fact that they could get better images from a dedicated camera.  But in the end, convenience for most wins out.  

Hence I don't think Microsoft wants to push people out of consoles.  Unless they can offer something more convenient, like a streaming service through their existing smart televisions, consoles will always be part of their gaming ecosystem. It's unrealistic to expect parents of young kids or older people like myself to devote the kind of time and money it takes to invest in a gaming PC when a gaming console is far more convenient.  I would think there are smarter people than me at Microsoft who know this and why Microsoft was really the only who truly showed up at this year's E3 to push gaming for consoles.  

12 minutes ago, downzy said:

A friend of mine has a monster PC gaming rig (I think he spent $3k or thereabouts) and where this a difference between his machine and my Xbox One X, it's not nearly enough to justify the price tag let alone all the customizations he had to do to achieve that performance.  

I agree there wasn't much difference between a Xbox360/PS3 and Xbox One/PS4.  The XBX1X and the PS4Pro should have been what the original consoles of this cycle should have been.  I had an Xbox One S and didn't really see much in the way of graphic improvement over the 360.  But when I exchanged it for the XBX1X to play RDR2 I noticed the kind of bump I was hoping to see.  

I have an original XBox One and a GTX1080 powered PC which cost me well over £1,000 and to be honest with you I still use the XBox for most games. I just don't think there's that much of a difference. The PC is probably the most expensive web browser I've ever seen. :lol: 

Edit: In fairness the machine I get the most use out of is this half built arcade cab using a Raspberry Pi which cost about £35. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1