Duff interview: New music is a logical thing- No beef with Izzy

14 hours ago, RONIN said:

Excellent point. And I'm sure it played a role in his decision. As DZI said earlier, Izzy probably weighed the pros/cons out in his mind and as before with VR, it just didn't seem to be worth it to him in the end. 

My guess? Duff lowballed Izzy as a non-partner contracted employee for the Coachella/warm up gigs. The rumors around early '16 were that he was offered a low 5 figure sum for each show. Izzy wanted all 5 of them to split things as equals for those few shows (maybe even merchandising, who knows) - and the rest is history. 

GnR made a wise business decision and Izzy decided that his nostalgia for the old band wasn't worth the disrespect shown from whatever paltry sum they were offering. It appears that Steven eventually felt the same way after the initial reunion euphoria wore off. It's also very likely that the terms offered to Izzy as a non-partner stipulated that had he rejoined GnR, he would have faced the same situation as '91 where Axl, Slash and Duff were running the band and he was just riding shotgun. We know from his '91 interviews that he deeply resented Axl and Slash for trying to diminish his influence - no way he was going to go through that again + work for a pittance like Steven. 

Looking back at the whole thing, it pretty much played out as most of us predicted back in late 2015/early 2016.

according to your post,  is there a chance for Izzy to come back to the band, in your opinion? :unsure:

13 hours ago, D.Z.I. said:

One of my points is that if it had been a project at a smaller scale with a non-narcissistic leader (or at least one who was somewhat normal), maybe he would have stayed there.

But the guys didn’t want that, they wanted to make it big again, and decided to go at it with a troubled mess of a leader –again.

Another point is that some users try to make it look as if Izzy was a total unreliable flake, unable to commit to anything, as if the whole VR thing seemed perfectly normal from day one and that it was going to be all good and healthy fun and rock & roll.

When we are in the position when we have to make a decision, we evaluate the circumstances, weigh the pros and cons and determine if it’s worth it or not. And those measures are different for everyone. I guess in Izzy’s case, his own personal stability was more important than making it big again, and why would he choose anything else when he made that same decision before and turned out for the best? Slash and Duff have different parameters and priorities. The rest is history.

And I wouldn’t take Axl’s word for shit when it comes to commitments, reliability or anything in that domain. 

I wondered if izzy left because of scotts still drug use at that time, and fearing VR going tits up because of any impending issues of scotts drug use and that potentially impacting on izzys health.

Edited by Sydney Fan

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I wondered if izzy left because of scotts still drug use at that time, and fearing VR going tits up because of any impending issues of scotts drug use and that potentially impacting on izzys health.

I don’t think at this point Izzy is afraid of relapsing, but it doesn’t take a genius to know that with all the red flags things would get messy pretty fast.