Face Reality - There Will Never Be Another GN’R Album

1 hour ago, Kwick1 said:

@RussTCB, why are you so pessimistic about a new GnR album? You're writing as though GnR is just another band from the '80's. I do know that how people buy and listen to music is very different today but I'm not so quick to think that they're a "Legacy" act. I think anything new is going to be further development from CD and UYI.  However, I'm not one that thinks a new LP is coming quickly. I do think we might get some reworked material from the vault which is fine with me either way. Hell, I'm just happy that Axl and Slash have worked out their differences and Axl genuinely seems happy.  

To the rest of the music fans that don't visit these boards, GNR are very much "just another band from the 80s"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

I would say Nirvana and Pearl Jam were at their peak in '91-'93. They're really the same time period as GnR UYI.  People were definitely still listening to GnR. 

I wasnt around at the time but from what I see on interviews there were obviously interest in GNR at the time and they couldve survived the 90s havent they blowed everything up with their own shit.

10 hours ago, wasted said:

Slash and Duff will bring back the sound GNR are known for and some of the songwriting that will steady the nerves of the rec comp, Axl, everyone. 

But now it doesn’t matter, they already made it, and it’s not going to sell like the 90s. 

It’s a pure artistic statement. It’s success will be on if they can do it with the music. 

It’s so hard to live up to the hype so I don’t mind the idea of it growing organically out of CD or being just a huge record scope wise you can’t pin it on anyone person. Pooling all eras and writers and making a self titled album that has songs from Slash, Duff, Izzy, Bucket, Axl, Fortus, Huge, Finck, Dizzy, whoever seems like a decent final album/project. Even getting friends like Angus, May on and doing some cool covers. Just make it a big whopperdelic sandwich with extra mayo and chili sauce. Make every casual fan and Izzy cultist to metal fan to guitar nerd take an interest. Let Lars play drums on a track if it gets Metalica fans on board. Cover One by U2. May solos on Atlas Shrugged. Call it Guns N Fuckin’ Roses. 

Versatility could be the way to go this time. It worked on Chinese but there weren't enough tunes on it for the scope of it perhaps. With Axl's completed material and a desire to work from lyrics first it should be diverse as it is. I wonder if Axl will keep the actual performances of Bucket and Robin, let Slash record all over it or maybe even let Slash alter them.

A double album of old and new all blended together could be the ultimate melting pot of the band themselves basically covering all the bases. A modern uyi. I think Axl might be up for it but I wonder Slash will approach it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Versatility could be the way to go this time. It worked on Chinese but there weren't enough tunes on it for the scope of it perhaps. With Axl's completed material and a desire to work from lyrics first it should be diverse as it is. I wonder if Axl will keep the actual performances of Bucket and Robin, let Slash record all over it or maybe even let Slash alter them.

A double album of old and new all blended together could be the ultimate melting pot of the band themselves basically covering all the bases. A modern uyi. I think Axl might be up for it but I wonder Slash will approach it.

I don't reckon there's any chance of hearing music with Bucket or Robin on it in my opinion.

Slash and Duff will have a chance to work on those songs and alter them as well. 

I definitely think a double album would be the only way to go - using all the music that the different members bring in. Get everyone to work on them.

Might get it released by about 2030 if we're lucky!

• Like 1

Also the only reality there is to face here is that it's likely they'll try to write and record an album. If they manage to complete a great record they would then need to make a deal with the record company. there's a lot of shit that needs to happen but mostly it's Axl being satisfied enough that it's truly done. I believe they have the talent to complete a final release but it's not a sure thing that will happen and even if it does it will take a few years imo.

Just now, DK6 said:

I don't reckon there's any chance of hearing music with Bucket or Robin on it in my opinion.

Slash and Duff will have a chance to work on those songs and alter them as well. 

I definitely think a double album would be the only way to go - using all the music that the different members bring in. Get everyone to work on them.

Might get it released by about 2030 if we're lucky!

As long as it takes. But my best guess it will be 14 years between Chinese and the final one. maybe 15. I piss 15.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Melting but not fully blended. Like CD but throw in a could of VR songs where Scraped and Shacklers are. Take out ITW (sorry baby) add an Izzy acoustic song. Instead of Prostitute let Slash do an Unholy Safari. Re-record Crash Diet. Slash Jackie Chan. Seeker/Wichita. 

Democracy, Melted Not Blended. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The easiest way I can explain it is that Axl has made me this way. The guy just doesn't want to release new music. It would've been way more beneficial to him to have released a lot of new music between 1998 and 2014, then it would be now. 

He could've had the chance to prove everyone wrong but he just never released enough music to do so. 

If anything, a largely successful album now would do even more to damage the publics opinion of how he's handled GNR for the last two decades while the others were gone. 

I thought the whole idea was that Axl was as hurt and bummed out by Slash leaving as the fans but he survived to make a great album which had moderate success. Axl never seemed to hide how he struggled to replace Slash, they had two aborted attempts until they found a way. With all the best intentions CD wasn’t the smash hit it needed to be to get the rec comp excited about part deux. The industry default setting was reunion. Sometimes I wonder how Axl got CD released. Best Buy was some kind of miracle bail out. If they hadn’t maybe CD would have come out when Slash came back in 2016 with his reworked versions of Chi dem, Better, TIL?

8 hours ago, default_ said:

I wasnt around at the time but from what I see on interviews there were obviously interest in GNR at the time and they couldve survived the 90s havent they blowed everything up with their own shit.

After the illusions i think they should have done a solo record. But the complexity is and from reading interviews from slash, that guns was axls solo band. Plus during rehearsals after snakepit axl couldnt interpret to slash what sort of an album he was wanting. So if axl didnt know what he wanted the whole band was directionless. Plus axl had engineers and studios on call and available if axl needed to come in when feeling inspiration so slash was becoming aware of how much money was being wasted for no productive gain. I can understand why slash left.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wasted said:

I thought the whole idea was that Axl was as hurt and bummed out by Slash leaving as the fans but he survived to make a great album which had moderate success. Axl never seemed to hide how he struggled to replace Slash, they had two aborted attempts until they found a way. With all the best intentions CD wasn’t the smash hit it needed to be to get the rec comp excited about part deux. The industry default setting was reunion. Sometimes I wonder how Axl got CD released. Best Buy was some kind of miracle bail out. If they hadn’t maybe CD would have come out when Slash came back in 2016 with his reworked versions of Chi dem, Better, TIL?

The question id like to know is going from interviews axl really was pushing for illusions to be released and really wanting to get the albums out. Why was he endlessly tinkering and what looked like procrastinating and delaying in releasing CD?. 

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

The question id like to know is going from interviews axl really was pushing for illusions to be released and really wanting to get the albums out. Why was he endlessly tinkering and what looked like procrastinating and delaying in releasing CD?. 

Not strictly true. Axl didn’t really want to go on that Illusions tour and didn’t think UYI was ready. At the time UYI was late. They toured before it was finished, Nov Rain had taken a decade to finish. 

Axl didn’t delay CD as much as people think. In 99 Tommy/Zutaut said the rec comp didn’t like the Beavan record. Too raw and no hit. Iovine offered to pay to re-record with the Queen producer. 

Then around 2000 after re-recording with RTB, Axl was quoted as being “ready to mix” , Bob Ezrin said the record was not ready. Tour collapses mysteriously, I can’t think why. Costanzo is new producer, they begin re-recording etc again.

Around 2004 is probably when they were given the ultimatum by Rec comp. Deliver record or get cut off. They have to tour to fund finishing of album with Costanzo, Bumble, Frank in 2006. 

So I think 2004 is when they had a finished record the rec comp liked. Same year Bucket left because it didn’t come out. I think this was Axl’s decision. Maybe not having Bucket shook him, maybe didn’t feel right. It was the year of Contraband, Axl said something about not want to promote their stuff. Obviously CD v VR would have been an L with whole music press and industry against Axl because he ruined GNR by firing everyone and stealing the band. 

2006 it was meant to be coming. But Merck did something or maybe Azoff was floating the Best Buy deal. From 2006-8 it’s setting things up. 

99 was an easy pass Live Era comes out. 2004 Greatest Hits. I don’t think the recomp really cared about CD because they didn’t think it would sell 20 mil, so that’swhy the Best Buy deal really got CD released. It covered all the costs. 

Back in 2000 when Axl said Ready to Mix Iovine shoulda gave it the greenlight. It might not have been perfect but Bucket was still on board and it would have sold 4-8 mil. 

But I don’t think the rec comp really were ever going to let Axl release 3 albums with Nu Guns. They would rather sell 20 mil with Axl and Slash. No managers or industry figures believed in CD. Even Azzof tried do a reunion tour right after CD came out. 

2004-2006 was the only real delay down to Axl. 

I like the final version of CD and it’s probably better than the 2001/2004 version so bygones. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, wasted said:

Some Chinese tunes are kinda staples of the set list. not a lot but just enough to hope for another 4-5 that will be good enough to be played a lot and just a great album with enough integrity. The chinese brought with it a chance to work with some material that they all seem to agree it worth playing on. it's only as hard as Axl makes it to be but he doesn't release less than great records. the deal is another potential problem. 

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Some Chinese tunes are kinda staples of the set list. not a lot but just enough to hope for another 4-5 that will be good enough to be played a lot and just a great album with enough integrity. The chinese brought with it a chance to work with some material that they all seem to agree it worth playing on. it's only as hard as Axl makes it to be but he doesn't release less than great records. the deal is another potential problem. 

True, first 7 tracks are as good as anything by Guns and Sorry, IRS, Madagascar, TIL, Prostitute are too. 

I guess that’s not the problem, some just can’t see it as really GNR. 

Getting the next album up to CD’s level but then having Slash and Duff add their take or new stuff is probably what might happen. 

I would be very surprised if they wrote totally new stuff from scratch. I see possibly Slash workong off Axl’s vocal melodies and coming up with virtually new material. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wasted said:

Not strictly true. Axl didn’t really want to go on that Illusions tour and didn’t think UYI was ready. At the time UYI was late. They toured before it was finished, Nov Rain had taken a decade to finish. 

Axl didn’t delay CD as much as people think. In 99 Tommy/Zutaut said the rec comp didn’t like the Beavan record. Too raw and no hit. Iovine offered to pay to re-record with the Queen producer. 

Then around 2000 after re-recording with RTB, Axl was quoted as being “ready to mix” , Bob Ezrin said the record was not ready. Tour collapses mysteriously, I can’t think why. Costanzo is new producer, they begin re-recording etc again.

Around 2004 is probably when they were given the ultimatum by Rec comp. Deliver record or get cut off. They have to tour to fund finishing of album with Costanzo, Bumble, Frank in 2006. 

So I think 2004 is when they had a finished record the rec comp liked. Same year Bucket left because it didn’t come out. I think this was Axl’s decision. Maybe not having Bucket shook him, maybe didn’t feel right. It was the year of Contraband, Axl said something about not want to promote their stuff. Obviously CD v VR would have been an L with whole music press and industry against Axl because he ruined GNR by firing everyone and stealing the band. 

2006 it was meant to be coming. But Merck did something or maybe Azoff was floating the Best Buy deal. From 2006-8 it’s setting things up. 

99 was an easy pass Live Era comes out. 2004 Greatest Hits. I don’t think the recomp really cared about CD because they didn’t think it would sell 20 mil, so that’swhy the Best Buy deal really got CD released. It covered all the costs. 

Back in 2000 when Axl said Ready to Mix Iovine shoulda gave it the greenlight. It might not have been perfect but Bucket was still on board and it would have sold 4-8 mil. 

But I don’t think the rec comp really were ever going to let Axl release 3 albums with Nu Guns. They would rather sell 20 mil with Axl and Slash. No managers or industry figures believed in CD. Even Azzof tried do a reunion tour right after CD came out. 

2004-2006 was the only real delay down to Axl. 

I like the final version of CD and it’s probably better than the 2001/2004 version so bygones. 

Agree he didn't want yo go on tour as his mental health was really suffering, but there is a radio interview axl did where he tells the interviewer, and sounds like there is burning desire, that the band need to hurry up and release these songs he sants people to hear what guns have been doing since 89. Releasing isnt an issue i think the impending tour was another concern for him.

54 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree he didn't want yo go on tour as his mental health was really suffering, but there is a radio interview axl did where he tells the interviewer, and sounds like there is burning desire, that the band need to hurry up and release these songs he sants people to hear what guns have been doing since 89. Releasing isnt an issue i think the impending tour was another concern for him.

Well you can interpret that as I don’t want to tour, I want to work on the record and finish it. Because Axl’s thing was needing work than Niven’s idea for the next guns record. 

But there’s also interviews of Axl being positive about CD. He wanted it out in 99, 2001?

However, there was maybe some hesitation. Maybe Axl agreed with Iovine and Ezrin, he was just disappointed. Like he’s talked about being frustrated that his guitarists took so long to get what he wanted. Admittedly what they were doing 90s alt rock meets GNR/classic rock blending all these things isn’t easy to pull off. They had to work all that out. 

Finck didn’t leave to join Aerosmith or Lynyrd Skynyrd did he. But Axl has him working on SCOM 2. Maybe the album just wasn’t finished. So until happens Axl won’t let go. Art is never finished. Artists only let go when the lights go out. 

Plus Axl wouldn’t be human if he wasn’t worried about bombing as Slash wins a grammy. 

My theory is as the industry backed away it becomes more about the music. Axl was sort of in position to hold on for another chance for the right record at the right time. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Well you can interpret that as I don’t want to tour, I want to work on the record and finish it. Because Axl’s thing was needing work than Niven’s idea for the next guns record. 

But there’s also interviews of Axl being positive about CD. He wanted it out in 99, 2001?

However, there was maybe some hesitation. Maybe Axl agreed with Iovine and Ezrin, he was just disappointed. Like he’s talked about being frustrated that his guitarists took so long to get what he wanted. Admittedly what they were doing 90s alt rock meets GNR/classic rock blending all these things isn’t easy to pull off. They had to work all that out. 

Finck didn’t leave to join Aerosmith or Lynyrd Skynyrd did he. But Axl has him working on SCOM 2. Maybe the album just wasn’t finished. So until happens Axl won’t let go. Art is never finished. Artists only let go when the lights go out. 

Plus Axl wouldn’t be human if he wasn’t worried about bombing as Slash wins a grammy. 

My theory is as the industry backed away it becomes more about the music. Axl was sort of in position to hold on for another chance for the right record at the right time. 

Hd should have followed his instincts and released CD in 99 or early 2000 when he gave it tk the record company as finished.

1 hour ago, jimisbatman said:

Has any of the 2001 CD version leaked?

3 demos that leaked this year claim to be from the 2001 version (TWAT, Blues, Madagascar). Not sure if they actually are from 2001, though :shrugs:

Personally, I'd love to hear a '97-'99 version of the title track.

On 15/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, RussTCB said:

The easiest way I can explain it is that Axl has made me this way. The guy just doesn't want to release new music. It would've been way more beneficial to him to have released a lot of new music between 1998 and 2014, then it would be now. 

He could've had the chance to prove everyone wrong but he just never released enough music to do so. 

If anything, a largely successful album now would do even more to damage the publics opinion of how he's handled GNR for the last two decades while the others were gone. 

I don't think people care enough about the CD era anymore to even warrant concern about that in releasing a new album.

I think it will come. I don't think blaming Axl as the sole problem is correct. As we saw with CD, it can be a complicated process.

6 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I don't think people care enough about the CD era anymore to even warrant concern about that in releasing a new album.

I think it will come. I don't think blaming Axl as the sole problem is correct. As we saw with CD, it can be a complicated process.

I guess that depends on your POV of the process of getting CD released. 

To me, all of the delays fall squarely on Axl's shoulders. 

• Like 1

Should get the Slash & Conspirators  & NITL tour's out the way, jump into the studio hand pick 14-16 tracks best out of the CD session era stuff get Duff, Slash, Richard to add guitar parts, Frank touch up the drums, Melissa to add harmonies, get Caram Costanzo to produce with Axl and get the album out before 2020. Turn the band into a normal rock band again, one that releases new albums, tours, new album tours.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, Edward Nigma said:

Should get the Slash & Conspirators  & NITL tour's out the way, jump into the studio hand pick 14-16 tracks best out of the CD session era stuff get Duff, Slash, Richard to add guitar parts, Frank touch up the drums, Melissa to add harmonies, get Caram Costanzo to produce with Axl and get the album out before 2020. Turn the band into a normal rock band again, one that releases new albums, tours, new album tours.

The best we're possibly going to get is one more album (or double album) and a 3 or 4 year tour. Axl doesn't strike me as somebody that will tour into their 70s like Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger. I'm not sure I'd want to see him at that age.

On 22/10/2018 at 11:47 PM, Edward Nigma said:

Would prefer slashs production team, because at least no recordings will leak.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

The best we're possibly going to get is one more album (or double album) and a 3 or 4 year tour. Axl doesn't strike me as somebody that will tour into their 70s like Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger. I'm not sure I'd want to see him at that age.

Yes i shudder to think what axl may look like at that age, then again i dont know if his vocal chords will standup at that age. Slash will be releasing music until hes dead.