Face Reality - There Will Never Be Another GN’R Album

Best hope is that Axl/DC make an album (Or call it something like the "Young Boys" if AC/DC isn't the right name) - there's a part of me that thinks the experience of just touring concentrating on the music (IE no buisness decisions - yeah I'll come play in your band pay me x per show and i need y & z in the dressing room) was really good for Axl. Just really work on the performance and nothing else got the best out of him.

I feel doing an album could really help them in the same way - like a hey that was fun, get the guys to come up with some proper riffs work on them in a room for a while, tidy up the lyrics and go to the studio for a month. Not worrying over which of your 3,000 synthesizers is perfect for the outro that will segue into the next song which isn't finished either.

The freedom to go and release something with this line up and if its not a multi-platinum mega hit it doesn't really matter.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:57 PM, wasted said:

I thought the whole idea was that Axl was as hurt and bummed out by Slash leaving as the fans but he survived to make a great album which had moderate success. Axl never seemed to hide how he struggled to replace Slash, they had two aborted attempts until they found a way. With all the best intentions CD wasn’t the smash hit it needed to be to get the rec comp excited about part deux. The industry default setting was reunion. Sometimes I wonder how Axl got CD released. Best Buy was some kind of miracle bail out. If they hadn’t maybe CD would have come out when Slash came back in 2016 with his reworked versions of Chi dem, Better, TIL?

it seems it could have been even worse. no album at all until reunion. but we had most of it leak. Still, I don't think the lack of new material in those years was only cause Axl couldn't let go of his music and release it. it was probably also this other shit a lot of people seem to maybe ignore like the record company and people who were not really yes men or good employees. 

I think there's a good chance we'll see another record in our lifetimes. it's not that impossible if Slash can still deliver real shit. I don't see why Axl will not be into it.

On 24/10/2018 at 1:09 PM, Gnrcane said:

The best we're possibly going to get is one more album (or double album) and a 3 or 4 year tour. Axl doesn't strike me as somebody that will tour into their 70s like Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger. I'm not sure I'd want to see him at that age.

In a decade, we will have an Axl solo tour where he plays the hits on a piano and can only sing in his natural baritone because he lost his high voice.

I could be talking total rubbish but I wonder if any future touring may benefit from being shorter overall with more space in between gigs? With more time to recover we may get better vocal performances - lets be honest - it cannot be easy singing like that at the best of times never mind every couple of nights for three years barring the odd break?

Its not like they HAVE to tour as relentlessly now that the NITL tour is winding down - they have played pretty much everywhere!

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

it seems it could have been even worse. no album at all until reunion. but we had most of it leak. Still, I don't think the lack of new material in those years was only cause Axl couldn't let go of his music and release it. it was probably also this other shit a lot of people seem to maybe ignore like the record company and people who were not really yes men or good employees. 

I think there's a good chance we'll see another record in our lifetimes. it's not that impossible if Slash can still deliver real shit. I don't see why Axl will not be into it.

I think basically if you miss a deadline like 1999 and they release a cd like Live Era they the record comp arent looking to release anything for 4 years anyway. 

I think now Slash has his outlet to rock out with conspirators, he might be itching to do something a bit more artistic with Axl. But really Axl only does 2-3 bigger songs per album. But having one guitarist who can carry most of the record makes it more cohesive. Getting that hard rock sound back is vital. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I could be talking total rubbish but I wonder if any future touring may benefit from being shorter overall with more space in between gigs? With more time to recover we may get better vocal performances - lets be honest - it cannot be easy singing like that at the best of times never mind every couple of nights for three years barring the odd break?

Its not like they HAVE to tour as relentlessly now that the NITL tour is winding down - they have played pretty much everywhere!

Dropping the covers woild be a good place to start.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Aren’t the covers some of the easier songs?

getting rid of the harder songs would be better. 

More ACDC covers is the way forward or more AFD songs. 

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Thats a whole other conversation! Far too many covers in place of rarities. Better song choices could be made too - have they played Dead Horse on this tour for example?

I would be happy for a couple of covers (not including Live & Knocking in that as they are as good as GNR songs anyway).

But song choices have to be smarter going forward to avoid embarrassing performances.

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not a fan of Black Hole Sun or watching Fortus play WYWH is boring but overall I like the cover songs. It is the CD songs that are the low point of the shows for me. 

I agree totally, I think most of the CD songs suck live anyway. Any time TIL was played I’d duck out for a piss or hit the bar and be back for the next song.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Sorry but that would have been way better

Even if you don’t like CD, no CD might have either crushed Axl career wise or spirit wise. It seemed like he was getting fucked over by the industry, press, everyone. I think around Vegas residency people started to get that it wasn’t just Axl’s fault and CD wasn’t all that bad. Plus before that around 2010 you got the sense Axl felt good he could go it alone. Mission accomplished. Without it Axl might have never come back ever. 

Lyrically and vocally (advocardoally) that’s what Axl would produce over the 10 years. That’s what he had to say artistically. So for it not to come out would leave a huge gap. Maybe if Izzy was also writing we could have got some of Axl’s songs 2 or 3 at a time between 1999 and 08 on 10 track albums. 9 songs and a cover every other year. But as it was it all got put out at once. Kind of like puttting out Nov Rain, Don’t Cry, Estranged, Ciivil War, Breakdown all out at the same time on one record. A huge helping of Axl but it wouldn’t satisfy all Guns fans. 

Edited by wasted

1 minute ago, DK6 said:

I'd rather they played My world than If the world!

My World intro then into Right Next Door to Hell, If the World, Jungle, Shackler’s, Brownstone, Chi Dem, Easy, Sweet Child, Nov Rain, Crazy, You Coud Be Mine, Don’t Cry, Patience, Nightrain, Used to Love Her, Madagascar, Paradise City. 

The Take It Easy World Tour. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wasted said:

My World intro then into Right Next Door to Hell, If the World, Jungle, Shackler’s, Brownstone, Chi Dem, Easy, Sweet Child, Nov Rain, Crazy, You Coud Be Mine, Don’t Cry, Patience, Nightrain, Used to Love Her, Madagascar, Paradise City. 

The Take It Easy World Tour. 

I'd be happy with that!

7 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I'd be happy with that!

You could be mine is still a tough one but that’s a hit!

Maybe drop Right Next Door if it’s too hard. No covers, most of the hits, not too taxing. Get in and out real fast. 

Maybe Slash does Godfather theme, Duff and Izzy sing a couple. 

If I’m allowed a cover Easy by the Commodores. Then Duff comes out to do Memory, I would go back stage for taco and a tequila. 

Edited by wasted
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Truthfully, I don't see another one anytime soon. I think for the older generation bands making music has to be natural and desired. Slash and Myles seem to have that passion, hence new music. After CD, I'm not sure how much Axl wants to officially record music. If I were him I would record in my home studio and enjoy without having it to see the light of day.

4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I kind of think having Slash and Duff back in the mix might inspire Axl a bit.. Plus all the passion from the shows all around the road the last 2 1/2 years may inspire him as well.  I just wish they would continue what they started and at least get Izzy back in the mix somehow.. I would love one last true Gn'R album to bookend their career but having Fortus, Frank and Smurfette part of it taints the excitement a bit. 

I think there wont be an album until theres an izzy in some way shape or form. Even if its just writing becuase I think fortus and slash would be great on an album together but its still hard to replace izzy 

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I kind of think having Slash and Duff back in the mix might inspire Axl a bit.. Plus all the passion from the shows all around the road the last 2 1/2 years may inspire him as well.  I just wish they would continue what they started and at least get Izzy back in the mix somehow.. I would love one last true Gn'R album to bookend their career but having Fortus, Frank and Smurfette part of it taints the excitement a bit. 

I'm 100% ok with them playing on the record...I just want something that includes Axl, Slash and Duff.

• Like 3