Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

15 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Anybody worried Slash won't be able to top Finck, Fortus & Buckets guitar work on the next album?

Well he's at a disadvantage because he certainly won't have 13 years to fuck around with guitar ideas like that lot had!

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I would love to hear Slash and Bucket on a track together. If Axl could compile a guitar duet between the two... :drool:

Yep how cringy would it be seeing slash and buckethead on stage. One in a top hat the other with a stupid kfc bucket on their head.  :nervous::lol:

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

What is an interesting question is would Slash have played something differently had he never heard the Bucket or Finck solos?

For instance, Robin has a really cool and smooth blues solo on Better, it's one of his best melodic moments on the album. When Slash approaches that solo, he doesn't do nearly the same thing, opting instead for something that is a little more brash and shrill, but is he approaching it that way because he's trying to be different from the other guy?

Had he never heard what the other person did, would his approach to it be something that was similar, like a sweet blues solo?

Prob. The thing with those players, especially Finck, is that it’s not only technically challenging at times but the phrasing is totally out of right field in parts. The way things hit a climax and how they either bend notes or fast scale runs are completely different than how Slash would approach things.

It’s like trying to speak a sentence back to someone in a different language. You can either do your best to mimic the words/sounds you just heard or you can just sort of say in your own way what the translation is. The latter prob has more conviction and understanding coming from you personally 

2 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

Would it kill Slash to play them like they are in the record, at least sometimes? The record versions are epic.

No one in NuGNR bothered for 15 years to play CLASSIC, TIMELESS, LEGENDARY songs and solos the way they were recorded. Why would he care about ChD? But you want someone to say that so let it be me, yes - he's not capable to play that stuff.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, default_ said:

God forbid Buckethead playin with Slash, that guy sounds like a computer lol

He does? maybe you're not familiar with some of his music. It's easy to get lost cause he released a lot of material. Listen from the 1:46 mark. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

5 hours ago, smeagol2124 said:

They would have to dumb-down bucket's work for slash.  The hatchet job done to TWAT is only a microcosm.  Bumble's parts? - No     

Could slash replace Finck's parts?  Probably.  Tobias or Ashba?  Sure.     Big B?  Not a prayer

At the 2016 San Diego show I actually thought Slash did a great job making the basic motifs of the TWAT solo his own, I dug it

If Slash overdubbed any BBF or Bucket solos it wouldn't be about "dumbing down", it would be about Slash doing his own thing on them I would say.  He isn't technically as fast or as crazy as Bucket or BBF, but I think that could work in the favor of the music - imagine Riad with a killer Slash solo instead of a bunch of random atonal guitar noises that BBF played?  

I felt that Slash was pretty fantastic on the reunion tour. Saw him do some stuff I never believed he was capable of. 

Nothing against Buckethead, because I thought his solo on "There Was A Time" was what made that track memorable, but it's not the more traditional, "raw power" vibe that Slash brought to the classic Guns that was missing on Chinese Democracy. I mean, that's my preference, it may not be everyone's. But it's Slash's opening riffs on "Welcome To The Jungle", "Sweet Child O' Mine", and the epic work at the conclusion of "November Rain"...that's what I missed most when he was away from the band. Others could replicate it, but it wasn't the same.

4 hours ago, moreblack said:

If Axl wanted carbon copies of the studio version, he probably would've got someone else. Because there's plenty of guys that can replicate parts note for note. He knew probably better than anyone what Slash brings to the table.

Well, what Slash brought to the table in this instance was legitimacy to a band that had become a fleeting memory, a hollow shell of what it once was. He and Duff helped make Guns N' Roses a powerhouse again. Three out of five original members produced the 4th highest grossing tour of all-time. That's saying something.

If Axl and Slash mending fences was due to simply wanting to mend fences, that's great. Seems like they truly enjoy working with each other again. Let's not kid ourselves, though. Money talked to them more than money had ever talked to them before.

• Like 1