Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

On 10/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I wish the reunion was Bucket, Finck and Slash all on guitars. That would be legendary.

Bucket and Slash would be epic. But Finck? Iirc, his live playing was loathed on this forum back in the day. Good studio musician though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Bucket and Slash would be epic. But Finck? Iirc, his live playing was loathed on this forum back in the day. Good studio musician though.

It's kinda funny how people remembered Robin once they heard DJ. It's a case of "you don't know what you've got till it's gone". Same thing happened with Ron replacing Bucket IIRC.

I still think Robin sounded bad/sloppy during the live shows. He was really 'hit or miss', but he more often missed.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say Bucket's best moments on the album were his slow, smooth blues leads. The solo in If The World, the solo in Sorry, the end solo of The Blues. 

Of course, There Was A Time gave him an opportunity to use a handful of technique and some tasteful melodies, but the bluesy stuff was surprising for a guy known for his Nintendo beeps. I have to expect Slash respects that sort of thing, because that's his wheelhouse.

12 hours ago, smeagol2124 said:

They would have to dumb-down bucket's work for slash.  The hatchet job done to TWAT is only a microcosm.  Bumble's parts? - No     

Could slash replace Finck's parts?  Probably.  Tobias or Ashba?  Sure.     Big B?  Not a prayer

Funny, cause one is a legendary guitar player and the other is mostly unknown to the masses despite having been around for a long time. And there's good reason for that.

Bucket may be some peoples cup of tea and has a loyal following of fans, but he's obviously not the majority's cup of tea judging by overall popularity and impact on the music scene. He's pretty much a niche guitarist.

I find the obvious dig on SLASH (using the phrase 'dumb down') as completely disrespectful and naive considering that Bucket can't do what SLASH does either. It goes both ways.

• Like 4

I have to giggle when people harp on about how legendary the guitar parts on Chinese Democracy are, the general consensus is there's nothing legendary about that fucking album period. People who like that shit should be happy Slash bothered to put any spin on those songs at all, i think it'd be a rather small number who would go home disappointed that they didn't play Sorry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thunderram said:

Funny, cause one is a legendary guitar player and the other is mostly unknown to the masses despite having been around for a long time. And there's good reason for that.

Bucket may be some peoples cup of tea and has a loyal following of fans, but he's obviously not the majority's cup of tea judging by overall popularity and impact on the music scene. He's pretty much a niche guitarist.

I find the obvious dig on SLASH (using the phrase 'dumb down') as completely disrespectful and naive considering that Bucket can't do what SLASH does either. It goes both ways.

It’s not a popularity contest.

Slash was in one of the biggest rock bands in the world at their peak –and as we know, gnr wasn’t big because of him only, but because the chemistry between the 5 of them was incredible.–

If GNR had happened with Buckethead or Dave Navarro on guitar, either of them would have become one of the biggest names in rock/guitar history, and Slash would be just a “niche guitarist”.

That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have any merit or the chops, but if it wasn’t for the exposure that GNR gave him (at that specific time), and the incredible chemistry and context that led them to create those amazing songs, the roles would be reversed, easily.

Edited by D.Z.I.

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

I have to giggle when people harp on about how legendary the guitar parts on Chinese Democracy are, the general consensus is there's nothing legendary about that fucking album period. People who like that shit should be happy Slash bothered to put any spin on those songs at all, i think it'd be a rather small number who would go home disappointed that they didn't play Sorry.

CD is a great album, and the guitar work in it is beautifully crafted.

This is beyond what the fanbase might say, whether or not it sounds like gnr, or if it is as popular as afd, or if anyone even knows who played what in which song. The solos are amazing, they compliment each song in their own way, from the bluesier ones to the super fast “atonal” blips, it’s all there for a reason, and the fact that Slash isn’t there doesn’t take any merit from the songs and solos.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lio said:

I don't agree. GNR wouldn't have been GNR without Slash.

I never said that, and that wasn’t my point at all.

My point was if Slash would have become as big if it wasn’t for GNR.

For the record, GNR wouldn’t have been GNR with any of its parts missing.

5 hours ago, thunderram said:

Buckethead is a guitarist's guitarist. He can play literally any style he wants (he plays his guitar like a cat plays with it's prey), and it's that reluctance to be easily categorised that limits any musician's reach and popularity. 

Slash is an icon in part because of his "image" (easily recognisable, top hat, Les Paul, big hair, glasses), because of his footing as a reliable blues rock musician who rarely deviates (you know exactly what you're gonna get), and his partnership with 3 other musicians who are just as talented as he is plus Steven (jk).

Not to mention the obvious point that we're all aware of that popularity in no way guarantees quality - just a simle look at the Top 40 charts confirms that.

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Well, what Slash brought to the table in this instance was legitimacy to a band that had become a fleeting memory, a hollow shell of what it once was. He and Duff helped make Guns N' Roses a powerhouse again. Three out of five original members produced the 4th highest grossing tour of all-time. That's saying something.

If Axl and Slash mending fences was due to simply wanting to mend fences, that's great. Seems like they truly enjoy working with each other again. Let's not kid ourselves, though. Money talked to them more than money had ever talked to them before.

Axl could have reunited a lot sooner though which indicates it was a little of both so not just about the money. I think Axl had to be in the right place to move on from the negative feelings he had towards Slash. they belong together musically so it don't really matter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Axl could have reunited a lot sooner though which indicates it was a little of both so not just about the money. I think Axl had to be in the right place to move on from the negative feelings he had towards Slash. they belong together musically so it don't really matter.

Exactly! Money has always been on the table when it came to a possible reunion..The variable in this equation was Axl move on from all the negative feelings about Slash.

I just think Slash doesnt remember exactly how the original solos are during the gigs, so he does the best he remember it. A gig is something very sponthaneous, rushed, adrenaline flowing, its not unusual to change stuff, specially something he may not be that familiar with, Slash himself did it a thousand times in his life during the early days, with his own solos.

Of course, theres always a chance he doesnt really care for the songs so he just do whats easier for him and what the casuals like: mindles shredding. A casual see a sheredding as something really hard to do. The fastest the better.  

Edited by default_

18 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Buckethead is a guitarist's guitarist. He can play literally any style he wants (he plays his guitar like a cat plays with it's prey), and it's that reluctance to be easily categorised that limits any musician's reach and popularity. 

Slash is an icon in part because of his "image" (easily recognisable, top hat, Les Paul, big hair, glasses), because of his footing as a reliable blues rock musician who rarely deviates (you know exactly what you're gonna get), and his partnership with 3 other musicians who are just as talented as he is plus Steven (jk).

Not to mention the obvious point that we're all aware of that popularity in no way guarantees quality - just a simle look at the Top 40 charts confirms that.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but I also think you're missing something key. You say "popularity in no way guarantees quality" .. but what does that necessarily mean? If a great deal of people like something -- in the case of SLASH millions and millions of people -- then doesn't that qualify it as quality? As the old adage goes, "the majority rules". The majority sets standards of what's acceptable and good and what is not. An individual doesn't have to agree with the majority, obviously. But if the majority considers something quality, then it really is.

I'm a musician/guitarist. Been playing for over 25 years. While I can recognize technical prowess, it doesn't make that person a better guitar player in my eyes/ears.  For example, Michael Angelo Batio is one of the fastest players you'll ever see. And a great deal of guitar players can't do the things he does. But that doesn't make him the greatest player of all time or even among them. Because he's missing other elements/qualities that make up the whole.

You said popularity in no way guarantees quality. Well I'll counter by saying technical proficiency and speed in no way guarantees quality either.

Lastly, the 'image' you call out regarding SLASH is also one of the key elements that make up the whole that many players don't have. Some just have gimmicks. SLASH doesn't have gimmicks. And he's not just an image. He plays from a place inside of him that fans recognize. It speaks to them. And he's technically proficient in what he does. Most of all, he found a sound & style that most go a lifetime looking for but never find for themselves. All of those are reasons why he's popular and an icon.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2