Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

18 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Not being ignorant just not a fan, and I wouldn't like Slash doing that type of thing either. It's not hating Buckethead, it's just not enjoying his style. 

I know he's a gifted player and all that but it's not for me :)

I don't get it. It seems like some people get offended because of different tastes.

"Have you heard the entire album?"

I'm sorry I didn't make it through all of BHs 2.3 million albums but everything I heard so far just isn't the music that I like.

I know I don't like Justin Bieber without listening to his entire discography. 

• GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl could have reunited a lot sooner though which indicates it was a little of both so not just about the money. I think Axl had to be in the right place to move on from the negative feelings he had towards Slash. they belong together musically so it don't really matter.

Axl also had to finish operation: chinese democracy. And whatever had to be real and not some temporary scam. Forgive what you have for what you might lose or something like that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Buckethead is undoubtedly the better guitar player, but Slash is the better guitar player for Guns N' Roses.

That said, I'm gonna post this again 'cause I think it's one of his songs that even Slash fans might appreciate.

It doesn't really go anywhere. It's a 2 minute idea that got stretched out beyond the limits of listeners patience. That's my biggest beef with a lot of guitar instrumentals. Just because you have the chops doesn't mean you can loop a couple of chords forever and just noodle over them. Jeff Beck would never let something like this fly.

Edited by moreblack

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Buckethead is undoubtedly the better guitar player, but Slash is the better guitar player for Guns N' Roses.

That said, I'm gonna post this again 'cause I think it's one of his songs that even Slash fans might appreciate.

You're wrong then. Same situation as in Aunt Suzie or Soothsayer, an idea stretched from 30s to a 7min long song. No dynamics whatsoever, just noodling on pentatonic scale over couple chords. Seriously it's nothing new... There are songs I love, like Baptism of Soltitude - Electric Tears album is great but after that you know everything BH has to offer, I doubt any of you can post me a song from those countless Pikes and surprise me with anything.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Someone mark it down! I believe this is the FIRST and ONLY time we've ever been accused of being too positive! :lol:

I meant it the other way around. It seems that being a Slash fan means you can’t have much of an appreciation for any other guitar player that has been in gnr.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, D.Z.I. said:

I meant it the other way around. It seems that being a Slash fan means you can’t have much of an appreciation for any other guitar player that has been in gnr.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, I hear ya on that. I get why people feel the way they do about Slash though. He's never been the be all, end all of everything GN'R for me personally, but I get why others feel that way.

7 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

But right now? I'd trade each and everyone of 'em for Izzy. GNR doesn't need more guitar solos. GNR needs more songs.

I can agree with the part of needing more songs and it's not impossible to happen (though I don't know how likely it is). The Izzy part- he ain't coming back. :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I can agree with the part of needing more songs and it's not impossible to happen (though I don't know how likely it is). The Izzy part- he ain't coming back. :( 

Yeah, probably. But ain't that a shame? You could give Slash or Richard an album and they might or might not play it or even add their own ideas to it that might or might not complete the whole thing. You give Izzy four chords and you have an album. That's the difference. I don't know about Axl's modus, but I suppose when he sits down at the piano for one night without the intention to rule the world and reinvent wheel, he might have an album too - and not a shabby one. It's just so depressing to see all this great talent and potential going nowhere because everyone cares more about the packaging and fireworks to sell it. Someone call Rick Rubin - he might be the only one to ever get us a new GNR album.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think nobody questioned BH's technical abilities but technique is not everything. There wasn't one moment when he gave me goosebumps. There are countless goosebumps moments when Slash, Angus or Iommi are playing guitar.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think nobody questioned BH's technical abilities but technique is not everything. There wasn't one moment when he gave me goosebumps. There are countless goosebumps moments when Slash, Angus or Iommi are playing guitar.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same about Slash, actually. 

Edited by Sosso

41 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Discussions like these... :facepalm: but I'll join in anyway because they are so fun :lol:

I like ALL players in GNR except DJ Ashba!

Ashba would strum the wrong cords on an out of tune guitar and end with a massive wet fart. He then would wave his hands and bow with a lit cigarette and top hat. Then some person from Walmart would throw their bra with the price tag still attached (from walmart).

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, I'm feeling the same about Slash, actually. 

It isn't a competition. It's your taste so why should I be upset about it.

But the other way around there are posters who are like "what?! you have to listen to this and that. BH can play everything."

Still not my taste. Wrong guitarist for GNR.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It isn't a competition. It's your taste so why should I be upset about it.

But the other way around there are posters who are like "what?! you have to here this and that. BH can play everything."

Still not my taste. Wrong guitarist for GNR.

I know that's not a competition and Slash has a couple of great riffs and solos, but his style is not unique enough me for. He was mainly inspired by Joe Perry and Keith Richards and you can see that. 

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

Yeah, probably. But ain't that a shame? You could give Slash or Richard an album and they might or might not play it or even add their own ideas to it that might or might not complete the whole thing. You give Izzy four chords and you have an album. That's the difference. I don't know about Axl's modus, but I suppose when he sits down at the piano for one night without the intention to rule the world and reinvent wheel, he might have an album too - and not a shabby one. It's just so depressing to see all this great talent and potential going nowhere because everyone cares more about the packaging and fireworks to sell it. Someone call Rick Rubin - he might be the only one to ever get us a new GNR album.

No, PLEASE keep Rick Rubin as far away from GNR as possible. I don’t know what happened to him, but it has been a while since he has done good production. The latest Smashing Pumpkins songs he was involved in seem like a total waste. Lots of potential in those songs, but the production brings them down, when it’s supposed to do the opposite.

32 minutes ago, D.Z.I. said:

No, PLEASE keep Rick Rubin as far away from GNR as possible. I don’t know what happened to him, but it has been a while since he has done good production. The latest Smashing Pumpkins songs he was involved in seem like a total waste. Lots of potential in those songs, but the production brings them down, when it’s supposed to do the opposite.

I agree

Itd be AFD 2.0 with songs all "inspired" by AFD songs like Black Sabbaths 13 with bad production. It wouldnt be bad but it'd be devoid of all creativity 

13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Why oh why!?  X 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

was it reeeeeally necessary?

What about Robin's solo album, is it ever coming out? Does anybody have any infos on that? I always thought that might be very interessting since Robin's studio work for Chinese was so good and creative.
While he was in Guns I pretty much hated him back then. :D He was really, really bad with Slash's stuff plus the goofy stage moves, skullets and all that.
Ashba was the worst, doesn't even matter how or what he played. Shame.