Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

On 11/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, thunderram said:

Agree with a lot of what you say, but I also think you're missing something key. You say "popularity in no way guarantees quality" .. but what does that necessarily mean? If a great deal of people like something -- in the case of SLASH millions and millions of people -- then doesn't that qualify it as quality? As the old adage goes, "the majority rules". The majority sets standards of what's acceptable and good and what is not. An individual doesn't have to agree with the majority, obviously. But if the majority considers something quality, then it really is.

That then means that One Direction are the greatest group alive, Justin Bieber is a musical genius and Despacito is a goddamn masterpiece. Remember Rebecca Black's Friday? That was pretty popular too.

I'm a musician/guitarist. Been playing for over 25 years. While I can recognize technical prowess, it doesn't make that person a better guitar player in my eyes/ears.  For example, Michael Angelo Batio is one of the fastest players you'll ever see. And a great deal of guitar players can't do the things he does. But that doesn't make him the greatest player of all time or even among them. Because he's missing other elements/qualities that make up the whole.

You said popularity in no way guarantees quality. Well I'll counter by saying technical proficiency and speed in no way guarantees quality either.

I'm not necessarily talking about Bucket's technical skills. He's a very versatile guitarist who can play emotive and soulful stuff just as powerfully as the mental computer-sounding shredding (which does get old after hearing a few albums of just that). The albums Population Override and Electric Tears in particular stand out to me as having some beautiful work on them.

And FWIW, I don't consider Bucket to be the greatest, although in terms of guitarists he comes pretty close.

Lastly, the 'image' you call out regarding SLASH is also one of the key elements that make up the whole that many players don't have. Some just have gimmicks. SLASH doesn't have gimmicks. And he's not just an image. He plays from a place inside of him that fans recognize. It speaks to them. And he's technically proficient in what he does. Most of all, he found a sound & style that most go a lifetime looking for but never find for themselves. All of those are reasons why he's popular and an icon.

I never criticised his image, it's definitely iconic. I just simply used it to point out how the masses love familiarity. 

In fact, I never criticised Slash in that post, I was just pointing out that popularity (or lack thereof) does not correlate to quality. If it did, popular music would look and sound very different indeed.

Music is way too subjective for popularity to be a reliable measurement of objective quality, so it's a moot point (which brings us back to my first point above).

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I know that's not a competition and Slash has a couple of great riffs and solos, but his style is not unique enough me for. He was mainly inspired by Joe Perry and Keith Richards and you can see that. 

It's unique enough that you're able to recognize him immediately. At least I'm able to.

Imo there's worse things than being inspired by guitar legends like Richards and Perry. Nothing wrong to have heroes like Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani but I'm more the classic rock type of guy

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I agree

Itd be AFD 2.0 with songs all "inspired" by AFD songs like Black Sabbaths 13 with bad production. It wouldnt be bad but it'd be devoid of all creativity 

I love this album and think the production is top notch

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It's unique enough that you're able to recognize him immediately. At least I'm able to.

Imo there's worse things than being inspired by guitar legends like Richards and Perry. Nothing wrong to have heroes like Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani but I'm more the classic rock type of guy

I love this album and think the production is top notch

13 sounded better than Death Magnetic, thats for sure. I like 13 more than most, Id just expect more from GNR

• Like 1

The way I see it, Axl needs the original lineup to get anything done. And the original lineup needs Axl to turn out anything good that stands the test of time. Buckethead and Brain are way too creative to be tied down to a band like GnR - especially since they seem to be firmly stuck on AFD for the last 20 years.

The problem we have is that Axl's interest in pushing himself forward musically has been extinguished by the failure of Nu Guns. He's accepted the deafening clamor to just rehash 1980's GnR because it is a financial bonanza. You see that manifested in his interest in AC/DC. I don't think Rose cares anymore - he has chosen the path of least resistance. And you throw in an older Slash who was already lazy when it came to how much he pushed himself outside of his comfort zone - and now has established himself as a brand outside of Guns with very little to prove - can anyone see these two doing anything worthy of the older material given their current approach to music? There's no interest or fire in these guys to top the old material or even match it. They're coasting. Add in a shit drummer and a session guitarist with no writing chops and you have a future album from this lineup that does not inspire much confidence. At best, we might get something along the lines of Contraband I imagine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

The way I see it, Axl needs the original lineup to get anything done. And the original lineup needs Axl to turn out anything good that stands the test of time. Buckethead and Brain are way too creative to be tied down to a band like GnR - especially since they seem to be firmly stuck on AFD for the last 20 years.

The problem we have is that Axl's interest in pushing himself forward musically has been extinguished by the failure of Nu Guns. He's accepted the deafening clamor to just rehash 1980's GnR because it is a financial bonanza. You see that manifested in his interest in AC/DC. I don't think Rose cares anymore - he has chosen the path of least resistance. And you throw in an older Slash who was already lazy when it came to how much he pushed himself outside of his comfort zone - and now has established himself as a brand outside of Guns with very little to prove - can anyone see these two doing anything worthy of the older material given their current approach to music? There's no interest or fire in these guys to top the old material or even match it. They're coasting. Add in a shit drummer and a session guitarist with no writing chops and you have a future album from this lineup that does not inspire much confidence. At best, we might get something along the lines of Contraband I imagine.

Jesus Christ I fucking hope not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What about Robin's solo album, is it ever coming out? Does anybody have any infos on that? I always thought that might be very interessting since Robin's studio work for Chinese was so good and creative.
While he was in Guns I pretty much hated him back then. :D He was really, really bad with Slash's stuff plus the goofy stage moves, skullets and all that.
Ashba was the worst, doesn't even matter how or what he played. Shame.

I gave up on robin’s album, but i think it would be an unusual mix of soundscapes, synths and electric guitar, not straight rock, no standard structures.

He clearly is a very creative guy, but in a non-stadard way if that makes any sense. I love his stage presence, it is magnetic and authentic, it’s not a pose or a fabricated persona, the guy is “weird” in a cool unique way.

In contrast, Ashba seemed like he was trying too hard to be liked and look cool. The make up, the way he dressed, the way he behaved on stage seemed fabricated and not authentic at all. To his favour, the guy was always super nice, friendly and approachable to fans.

Edited by D.Z.I.

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Great points, and the way you put it makes perfect sense.

i just hope that we’ll get to listen to the rest of CD sometime. I consider that era to be Axl at his most creative and fearless (if that makes sense). I find it exciting when an artist steps outside of his own boundaries and dares to explore new territory and for me, being exposed to the outcome of that process (whatever it is) is a way more enriching experience than getting a 2.0 version of previous work.

Given the circumstances, I fear that an album of new material will be a derivative collection of songs that will be made to please the crowds. I’d rather not get a single new song from GNR ever again.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, D.Z.I. said:

I consider that era to be Axl at his most creative and fearless (if that makes sense)

To me it doesn't make sence at all. In the classic era he managed to write history and release 50 songs, many good ones, a lot great ones and a good amount of them are even classics. All that in 6 years.

On the other side you have a poorly produced record along with some myths and legends, all that written in round about two decades. 

Sorry, but that insultes GNR's legacy 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Here is the experimental side of Slash. It's not true that he only plays blues and hard rock. 

There's more to find among this list of guest appearances:

1.       Alice CooperThe Decline Of Western Civilization Part II – “Under My Wheels” (1988)

2.       Bob DylanUnder The Red Sky – “Wiggle Wiggle” (1990)

3.       Iggy PopBrick By Brick  – “Home”, “Butt Town”, “Pussy Power”, “My Baby Wants to R&R” (1990)

4.       Sam KinisonLeader Of The Banned – “Highway To Hell” (1990)

5.       Alice CooperHey Stoopid – “Hey Stoopid” (1991)

6.       Lenny KravitzMama Said – “Fields Of Joy”, “Always On The Run” (1991)

7.        Michael JacksonDangerous – “Give In To Me”, “Black Or White” (1992)

8.       MotorheadMarch Or Die – “You Better Run”, “Ain’t No Nice Guy” (1992)

9.       Spinal TapBreak Like The Wind – “Break Like The Wind” (1992)

10.     Duff McKaganBelieve In Me – “Believe In Me”, “Just Not There” (1993)

11.       Carole KingColour Of Your Dreams – “Hold Out For Love” (1993)

12.     Paul RodgersMuddy Water Blues: Tribute To Muddy Waters – “The Hunter” (1993)

13.     Michael MonroeConeheads soundtrack – “Magic Carpet Ride” (1993)

14.     Brian MayResurrection – “Tie Your Mother Down” (1993)

15.     Paul RodgersStone Free: Tribute To Jimi Hendrix – “I Don’t Live Today” (1993)

16.     Carole KingIn Concert – “Hold Out For Love”, “Locomotion” (1994)

17.      Gilby ClarkePawnshop Guitars – “Tijuana Jail”, “Cure Me… Or Kill Me…” (1994)

18.     Bad CompanyWoodstock 94 – “The Hunter” (1994)

19.     Choir Of HarlemPanther soundtrack – “The Star Spangled Banner” (1995)

20.   Carmine AppiceGuitar Zeus – “Where You Belong” (1995)

21.     Michael JacksonHistory Past Present And Future – “Black Or White”, “D.S.” (1995)

22.    Marta SanchezCurdled soundtrack – “Obsession Confession”, “Obsession” (1996)

23.    The OutpatienceAnxious Disease – “Anxious Desease” (1996)

24.    Boz ScaggsThe Concert For The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame – “Red House” (1996)

25.    Teddy Andreadis   Innocent Loser – “Innocent Loser”, “Shotgun Shack” (1996)

26.    Marta SanchezAzebache  – “Moja Mi Corazon” (1997)

27.    Sammy HagarMarching To Mars –”Little White Lie” (1997)

28.    Insane Clown PosseThe Great Milenko – “Hails Of Illusions” (1997)

29.    Alice CooperA Fistful Of Alice – “Lost In America”, “Only Women Bleed”, “Elected” (1997)

30.   Michael JacksonBlood On The Dance Floor – “Morphine” (1997)

31.     Sebastian BachStairway To Heaven: Tribute To Led Zeppelin – “Communication Breakdown” (1997)

32.    BlackstreetFix – “Fix (main mix)” (1997)

33.    JPyromania – “But You Said I’m Useless”

34.    EllaEl – “Bayangan” (1998)

35.    Graham BonnetThe Day I Went Mad – “Oh! Darling” (1999)

36.    ChicLive At The Budokan – “Le Freak”, “Stone Free” (1999)

37.    Roder DaltreyHumanary Stew: Tribute To Alice Cooper – “No More Mr. Nice Guy” (1999)

38.    Duff McKaganBeautiful Disease – “Hope”, “Mezz” (1999)

39.    Doro PeschCalling The Wild – “Now Or Never” (2000)

40.   Rod StewartHuman – “Human”, “Peach” (2001)

41.     Cheap  TrickSilver – “You’re All Talk” (2001)

42.    Michael JacksonInvincible – “Privacy” (2001)

43.    SlashThe Kid Stays In The Picture soundtrack – “Love Theme From Godfather” (2002)

44.    Ray CharlesSings For America – “God Bless America Again” (2002)

45.    The YardbirdsBirdland – “Over Under Sideways Down” (2003)

46.    ElanStreet Child – “Street Child” (2003)

47.    Steve LukatherSantamental – “Broken Heart For Christmas” (2003)

48.    Matt SorumHollywood Zen – “The Blame Game” (2003)

49.    SlashSing A Song With Six Strings – “Sing A Song Of Sixpence” (2004)

50.   All Star BandAcross The Universe – “Across The Universe” (2005)

51.     All Star BandSave The Children – “Tears In Heaven” (2005)

52.    Ray CharlesMore Music From Ray – “Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand” (2005)

53.    Brian TylerFast And Furious 3 soundtrack – “Mustang Nismo”, “Welcome To Tokyo, “Sumo” (2006)

54.    Derek SherinianBlood Of The Snake – “In The Summertime” (2006)

55.    Chris DaughtryDaughtry – “What I Want” (2006)

56.    Sarah KellyWhere The Past Meets Today – “Still Breathing”, “Out Of Reach” (2006)

57.    Paulina RubioAnanda – “Nada Puede Cambiarme” (2006)

58.    Tommy ShawGypsy – ”Gypsy” (2007)

59.    Liel KoletBe Free – “For The Love Of God” (2007)

60.   Slash – Guitar Hero 3: Legends Of Rock soundtrack – “Guitar Hero 3 Intro”, “Guitar Battle vs. Slash” (2007)

61.     Vasco RossiIl Mondo Che Vorrei – “Gioca Con Me” (2008)

62.    Alice CooperCame A Spider – “Vengeance Is Mine” (2008)

63.    Les Paul & FriendsA Tribute To A Legend: Tribute To Les Paul – “Vocalise” (2008)

64.    Edgar WinterRebel  Road – “Rebel Road” (2008)

65.    Stephen WesleyThe Road – “Cowgirl” (2009)

66.    Williams Riley BandWilliams Riley Band – “Road & Me” (2009)

67.    Clint MansellThe Wrestler soundtrack – “The Wrestler” (2009)

68.    EscalaEscala – “Kashmir” (2009)

69.    Jerry Lee LewisMean Old Man – “Rockin’ My Life Away” (2009)

70.    BrunoBruno soundtrack – “Dove Of Peace” (2009)

71.      RihannaRated R – “Rockstar 101” (2009)

72.    The Dirty HeadsAny Port In A Storm – “Check The Level” (2010)

73.    Matt Sorum & Lanny CordolaGlobal Sound Lodge – “Hands Together” (2010)

74.    The WhoMy Generation (remix) – “My Generation” (2010)

75.    SlashTriple M radio – “Dr. Dan Theme” (2010)

76.    Macy GrayThe Sellout – “Kissed It” (2010)

77.     Lee RitenourSix String Theory – “68” (2010)

78.    Ronnie WoodI Feel Like Playing – “Thing Like”, “Sweetness My Weakness”, “Spoonful”, “Fancy Pants”, “Forever” (2010)

79.    Beth HartMy California – “Sister Heroine” (2010)

80.   The Forest Rangers & BattlemeSons Of Anarchy soundtrack – “Miles Away” (2010)

81.     State Line EmpireOctane – “Drive Me” (2011)

82.    Travis BarkerGive The Drummer Some – “Saturday Night” (2011)

83.    Phineas & FerbAcross The 1st and 2nd Dimensions soundtrack – “Kick It Up A Notch” (2011)

84.    Leslie WestUnusual Suspects – “Mudflap Mama”, “Turn Out The Lights” (2011)

85.    Samantha Ronson  & The UndertakersChasing The Reds – “Love Song”

86.    Slash & Mark LaneganThis Is Not A Movie soundtrack – “So Long Sin City” (2011)

87.    Slash & WitchThe Hex Is On… And Then Some – “Playing In The Rain” (2011)

88.    B.B. KingLive At The Royal Albert Hall – “Jam”, “The Thrill Is Gone”, “Guess Who”, “When The Saints Go” (2012)

89.    Lou PalloThank You Les: Tribute to Les Paul – “Deep In The Blues” (2012)

90.   AdlerBack From The Dead – “Just Don’t Ask” (2012)

91.     Chuckie & BetatraxxRockatronica – “Rockatronica” (2013)

92.    SlashAngry Birds Space soundtrack – “Angry Birds Space Theme” (2013)

93.    The Dead DaisiesThe Dead Daisies – “Lock N’ Load” (2013)

94.    HalestormThe Strange Case Of… - “Here’s To Us” (2013)

95.    Artful BadgerBadger Swagger – “Badger Swagger” (2013)

96.    Slash & Nicholas O’ TooleNothing Left To Fear soundtrack – “Nothing Left To Fear”, “Welcome To Stull”

97.    Type IIHothaton For Road Recovery – “Crimson Chaos”, “Here We Go” (2013)

98.    Cherie CurrieMr. X – “Mr. X” (2013)

99.    Aaron FreemanBob Dylan In The 80s: Tribute To Bob Dylan – “Wiggle Wiggle” (2014)

100. Sandaime J Soul BrothersStorm Rides – “Storm Riders” (2015)

101.   Bernard FowlerThe Bura – “My Friend Sin”, “Second Place”, “Dragon Attack” (2015)

102. Miss Bang BangPunch Drunk Lover – “Punch Drunk Lover” (2015)

103. Hollywood VampiresHollywood Vampires – “School’s Out”, “Another Brick In The Wall” (2015)

104. Ace FrehleyOrigins, Vol. 1 – “Emerald” (2016)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

To me it doesn't make sence at all. In the classic era he managed to write history and release 50 songs, many good ones, a lot great ones and a good amount of them are even classics. All that in 6 years.

On the other side you have a poorly produced record along with some myths and legends, all that written in round about two decades. 

Sorry, but that insultes GNR's legacy 

I won’t talk about the quality of the production because it doesn’t matter how technical i get and what i say, in the end you will say “but i don’t like it, it’s a personal preference, it’s an opinion and i’m entitled to one”, and you are totally right, but your opinion doesn’t mean the production is poor.

I don’t care about that “legacy”, to me it is an absurd idea. I love artists, period, because their art gets me on a deeper level than mere entertainment or pleasure. I dig that connection, it’s magical, and i just follow the artists creations as representations of his inner self, his life journey expressed to the world in the form of art.

Axl was prolific until his ghosts started to get at him. During the Illusions recording he was already “unstable”, not showing up, etc... we all know the story, but he had a band. From then on it just got worse, he started going crazy(er), and it all went to shit.  I don’t mean this in a mean way, I have much sympathy for his pain and suffering and going through that kind of emotional and mental rollercoaster.

Anyway, he had something to prove, and that became his drive, but he was so insecure about it that the fear of failure froze him and pushed him into overperfectionist mode, and that’s an endless trip, it’s never good enough. But still, something came out of it, and that’s what it is, a snap of Axl’s interests at the time, his focus, his pain, his views, etc.

And it also happens that I love the sound on CD. I couldn’t care less that “it doesn’t sound like guns” or that it isn’t straight rock & roll, or hard rock. I get bored when bands get stuck in a style or formula. That stagnant state starts to stink quickly. And most of the artists I admire have that characteristic: their art changes according to what they are going through and their influences at the time. And I like being surprised, and I also love layered music and that kind of production, the instrument separation, discovering new layers... it makes for very entertaining listens. And there is hidden stuff there that “gets lost in the mix”, and maybe that’s how it was intended to be and it was done like that for a reason, it’s not like professional producers and mixers didn’t know what they were doing and fucked up.

So, based on that, and considering the bulk of material recorded, I’m very interested to listen more because of technicalities, preference for the style and what it means as an expression of the Axl of those years.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, Free Bird said:

There's no bigger proof to that than the past two decades

Yep. Exactly one of the points I made too. Despite carrying the GN'R name and having AXL in the band, the CD album was niche. AXL's direction was a big part of that, but so was the lineup and their musical styles. They have many fans, but nowhere near what the band had before. There are numerous reasons for that. One of which, is that it's not considered near as good as the previous work -- no matter the level of technical proficiency and difficulty. That's one of the beautiful things about art. Technical proficiency and difficulty don't often matter. As the old adage goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Same applies to art and music. Whatever makes your eyes or ears happy.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:55 PM, F*ck Fear said:

I've always preferred Slash's style to that of Buckethead. That being said, there is no doubt that Buckethead is the better player.

Better player to YOU. And the minority that think like you. But run a National poll and who is really considered the better player when ALL factors are considered? It ain't Buckethead no matter how much anybody tries to argue otherwise.

People keep saying popularity or majority doesn't matter. But it does when discussing matters like these. For example, AFD is an all-time great album because the majority embraces it. While some out there may like some random Iron Maiden album better, it's the majority that says that album isn't is as good as AFD. It's like arguing against the sky being referred to by the majority as 'blue'. Someone can say it's 'green' to them but in the end, they're perceived as crazy for it. Because the majority sets the standards we live by, like it or not.

Edited by thunderram

I'm a big follower of ambient/electronic/space music, that sort of music that is mentally, psychologically and spiritually deepening. Buckethead being a guitarist, I hadn't thought that it is possible to make such music with a guitar, for most I had listened to are/were produced electronically ie Enigma, Bjoern Lynne. Nonetheless, after listening to Buckethead's take on such music, I am beyond amazed! This is ambience in such mellow fashion that it is beyond soul-soothing :) 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, D.Z.I. said:

I won’t talk about the quality of the production because it doesn’t matter how technical i get and what i say, in the end you will say “but i don’t like it, it’s a personal preference, it’s an opinion and i’m entitled to one”, and you are totally right, but your opinion doesn’t mean the production is poor.

I don’t care about that “legacy”, to me it is an absurd idea. I love artists, period, because their art gets me on a deeper level than mere entertainment or pleasure. I dig that connection, it’s magical, and i just follow the artists creations as representations of his inner self, his life journey expressed to the world in the form of art.

Axl was prolific until his ghosts started to get at him. During the Illusions recording he was already “unstable”, not showing up, etc... we all know the story, but he had a band. From then on it just got worse, he started going crazy(er), and it all went to shit.  I don’t mean this in a mean way, I have much sympathy for his pain and suffering and going through that kind of emotional and mental rollercoaster.

Anyway, he had something to prove, and that became his drive, but he was so insecure about it that the fear of failure froze him and pushed him into overperfectionist mode, and that’s an endless trip, it’s never good enough. But still, something came out of it, and that’s what it is, a snap of Axl’s interests at the time, his focus, his pain, his views, etc.

And it also happens that I love the sound on CD. I couldn’t care less that “it doesn’t sound like guns” or that it isn’t straight rock & roll, or hard rock. I get bored when bands get stuck in a style or formula. That stagnant state starts to stink quickly. And most of the artists I admire have that characteristic: their art changes according to what they are going through and their influences at the time. And I like being surprised, and I also love layered music and that kind of production, the instrument separation, discovering new layers... it makes for very entertaining listens. And there is hidden stuff there that “gets lost in the mix”, and maybe that’s how it was intended to be and it was done like that for a reason, it’s not like professional producers and mixers didn’t know what they were doing and fucked up.

So, based on that, and considering the bulk of material recorded, I’m very interested to listen more because of technicalities, preference for the style and what it means as an expression of the Axl of those years.

It's not about what you like, nor about what I like. Just look at the facts.

50 songs compared to ... I don't even know... 12 or 14 songs, depends on how much tracks are on CD + Oh My God.

4 records,  3 of them are being considered classics, compared to 1 record which many people don't even know exists.

So regardless of your preference. What period of time was Axl's most creative one? The fifteen years he made one record + OMG + some myths and legends or the 6 years when GNR became the biggest bsnd in the world?

Edited by Free Bird

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

It's not about what you like, nor about what I like. Just look at the facts.

50 songs compared to ... I don't even know... 12 or 14 songs, depends on how much tracks are on CD + Oh My God.

4 records,  3 of them are being considered classics, compared to 1 record which many people don't even know exists.

So regardless of your preference. What period of time was Axl's most creative one? The fifteen years he made one record + OMG + some myths and legends or the 6 years when GNR became the biggest bsnd in the world?

And I just told you why I couldn’t care less about those points (including popularity, which AGAIN isn’t an indicator of what matters to me) in my previous post.

You are confusing being creative and actually releasing that to the public. And I don’t consider the size of the output (as in number of songs) relevant. I doubt everyone agreed to lie about the amount of material that Axl recorded and worked on for 15 years. It’s sad that we haven’t got to listen to it, and that’s why I wish he decides to release those songs in some shape or form.

So, yes, the numbers are facts, nobody i denying that. But, again, that means nothing to me when I’m experiencing someone’s creative work.

Also, the work involved in the AFD-UYI era is by no means the same that went into CD. Which is a departure and explores new territory. Although UYI are great albums, a lot of it is derivative of AFD, and I don’t mean it in a bad way, but at a composition and production level CD is a beast of its own, and to a music nerd like me that is very valuable and requires a more demanding creative process.

Edited by D.Z.I.
  • GNFNR 1