Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

2 hours ago, thunderram said:

Better player to YOU. And the minority that think like you. But run a National poll and who is really considered the better player when ALL factors are considered? It ain't Buckethead no matter how much anybody tries to argue otherwise.

People keep saying popularity or majority doesn't matter. But it does when discussing matters like these. For example, AFD is an all-time great album because the majority embraces it. While some out there may like some random Iron Maiden album better, it's the majority that says that album isn't is as good as AFD. It's like arguing against the sky being referred to by the majority as 'blue'. Someone can say it's 'green' to them but in the end, they're perceived as crazy for it. Because the majority sets the standards we live by, like it or not.

Jeez, all this talk about "this is really popular, so it must be good"... you must be a big One Direction fan, they were bigger than The Beatles :lol:

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It's not about what you like, nor about what I like. Just look at the facts.

50 songs compared to ... I don't even know... 12 or 14 songs, depends on how much tracks are on CD + Oh My God.

4 records,  3 of them are being considered classics, compared to 1 record which many people don't even know exists.

So regardless of your preference. What period of time was Axl's most creative one? The fifteen years he made one record + OMG + some myths and legends or the 6 years when GNR became the biggest bsnd in the world?

Being prolific doesn't equate to something being "good" either. Quality over quantity.

...or is this your way of saying Buckethead is better than Slash? ;)

1 hour ago, D.Z.I. said:

Also, the work involved in the AFD-UYI era is by no means the same that went into CD. Which is a departure and explores new territory. Although UYI are great albums, a lot of it is derivative of AFD, and I don’t mean it in a bad way, but at a composition and production level CD is a beast of its own, and to a music nerd like me that is very valuable and requires a more demanding creative process.

I've run out of likes for today, but fucking YES! This exactly. 

3 hours ago, thunderram said:

run a National poll and who is really considered the better player when ALL factors are considered

Uffda, we've reached the point where someone comes out thinking popularity is a measure of talent.  :axl:

23 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Jeez, all this talk about "this is really popular, so it must be good"... you must be a big One Direction fan, they were bigger than The Beatles :lol:

Being prolific doesn't equate to something being "good" either. Quality over quantity.

...or is this your way of saying Buckethead is better than Slash? ;)

I've run out of likes for today, but fucking YES! This exactly. 

I'm a music nerd as well, and while a lot of work musically went into CD - over 10years of it - the production is actually quite bad. There are mistakes all over the record. Overlapping cuts, chopped off words, unclear words, easy to hear pitch shifted vocals. It should have been better consider the amount of time spent on it.

I think what makes a guitarist good is the same thing that makes a vocalist good. Innate sense of melody not driven by knowledge of scales, and the ability to make something raw sound interesting.

Examples: End of It's So Easy in Tokyo 92... random fuckin notes, and they still sound good. Dive bombs in YCMB from Paris 92 and Tokyo. The extended solos on live versions like Move to the City, Rocket Queen and sometimes Live and Let Die..

I play guitar, and to my ear someone who learned music by listening and figuring it out, instead of studying classical musicians and using a metronome, has always grabbed by attention. To me technical players (Yngwie/BH/Ron) sound like they are mimicing each other... Page, Slash, Perry, Jeff Martin etc., all have this blues/edge to their playing that made them stand out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

You can't put BH and Yngwie into one cup. Buckethead is not a technical player...

That's low-quality propaganda, "SlashArmy"  dude :lol: here's a nice short video that even includes some GNR footage for you to dig into, among the hundreds available online:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

And people complain about to much noodling from Slash :lol:

I like the sense of control and direction shown with B, rather than wanking on a guitar with needlessly long arpeggios that suck the energy out of the room :P

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gackt said:

That's low-quality propaganda, "SlashArmy"  dude :lol: here's a nice short video that even includes some GNR footage for you to dig into, among the hundreds available online:

This should impress me? He has his style and he's recognizable after few notes, obviously I won't deny that he's better technically than Slash. I just say that he's not as good as his fans think. BH can't match Malmsteen, Bettencourt, Satriani, Vai, Lukather, Petrucci, John 5, Al di Meola, Tremonti or even Bumblefoot (and many others). He uses really simple measures to be who he is, his bucketheadness made you a little blind on that matter. And that 'GNR footage I can dig into' is a total mess. He never did any justice to GNR classics, same with other NuGNR guitarists.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

This should impress me? He has his style and he's recognizable after few notes, obviously I won't deny that he's better technically than Slash. I just say that he's not as good as his fans think. BH can't match Malmsteen, Bettencourt, Satriani, Vai, Lukather, Petrucci, John 5, Al di Meola, Tremonti or even Bumblefoot (and many others). He uses really simple measures to be who he is, his bucketheadness made you a little blind on that matter.

Smooth goalpost shift from "he's not a technical player" to "he's better technically than Slash but:lol:

On what basis are you saying he "can't match" somebody alongside your list of every virtuoso that comes to mind?  Songwriting, performances, experimentation, what are you going off of?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Smooth goalpost shift from "he's not a technical player" to "he's better technically than Slash but:lol:

On what basis are you saying he "can't match" somebody alongside your list of every virtuoso that comes to mind?  Songwriting, performances, experimentation, what are you going off of?

He's not a technical player and yet he's more skilled than Slash, that hard to understand that sentence? About the second part of your relevant post: figure it out, you can start with listening to them. Hopefully you'll spot the difference and acknowledge limits that your idol has, as I did many years ago. 

3 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

He's not a technical player and yet he's more skilled than Slash, that hard to understand that sentence? About the second part of your relevant post: figure it out, you can start with listening to them. Hopefully you'll spot the difference and acknowledge limits that your idol has, as I did many years ago. 

Ah, I'll assume English isn't your first language, correct me if I'm mistaken :lol: if you can't explain your reasoning then there really isn't an argument to be made, and I'm very disappointed because I respect all the performers you listed

I gotta say, I always thought BH was a bit overrated. He can shred for days, but imo, it takes a lot more talent to write actual songs, with an arrangement and a structure (like Slash and Ron do) than random abstract "soundscapes". Songs like Soothsayer and Nottingham Lace are just glorified backing tracks really. They have some great riffing and obviously the shredding is impressive if you're into that sort of thing, but it's not like writing a proper song with a melody that can appeal to an audience outside of guitar nerds. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Free Bird said:

You completely missed the point. That was a very stupid post.

So you didn't actually say that more output = better? Because it sure as hell looked like that's what you wrote. Either that or you didn't actually have a point.

Are you able to explain, or are you just going to call things stupid when you have nothing better to say? :lol:

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

So you didn't actually say that more output = better? Because it sure as hell looked like that's what you wrote. Either that or you didn't actually have a point.

Are you able to explain, or are you just going to call things stupid when you have nothing better to say? :lol:

I just pointed out that Axl's most creative years wasn't the CD era but the time during GNRs prime and I used the number of releases for those periods to prove my point. 

So it wasn't about what is better (because that's a matter of taste), but in which time Axl had the bigger output. 

I think I don't have to say which period I prefer :lol:

Some people say that Bucket can't put his feel into his guitar playing, but this is nonsense. They have never listened to the songs from albums like Colma, Electric Tears or other albums, because they wouldn't say it otherwise. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Some people say that Bucket can't put his feel into his guitar playing, but this is nonsense. They have never listened to the songs from albums like Colma, Electric Tears or other albums, because they wouldn't say it otherwise. 

Electric Tears is my favorite Buckethead's album.

8 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Mustaine said BH is twice as good as him and Slash combined...end of discussion.

I agree, yet both Slash and Dave aren't exactly the best benchmarks for technical abbilities.

6 minutes ago, History2010 said:

This is one of the saddest threads I've ever seen on this forum. Slash shows respect for Bucket and all these Slash fans try and tear Bucket down. Shameful. 

No one's tearing Bucket down, especially me because I like him and respect a lot, there's no other guitarist like him on this planet. What I'm trying to do is explain to you that he's not as big as some of you try to imply to the others. 

Are we clear now?

• Like 1