Slash on GN'R's 'Chinese Democracy': Buckethead Is a Fucking Amazing Player

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

My opinion is that Slash's opinion is correct: Buckethead IS a fucking amazing guitar player.

He is. But that's doesn't make him better than SLASH. That's been the point all along. Better is a subjective term, just like beauty. It's in the eyes and ears of the beholder. My main point beyond that is that SLASH is liked and appreciated by a lot more fans than is Buckethead. And there's numerous reasons for that. As good as he may be, Bucket is niche and appeals to a much smaller faction of fans. Why that fact is taken negatively is beyond me.

I happen to love the Chinese Democracy album. While initially I only liked 3-4 songs on it, over time I've grown to like and appreciate all but about 2 songs on it. And I like Buckethead's contributions to it. But I can easily admit that the album is niche and I'm in the vast minority. There's nothing wrong with that. While it's a great album to ME, the vast majority of rock music listeners tells us that it's not an all-time great album. And I'm ok with that. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of listening to it.

But I'm also not about to proclaim it better than say Led Zeppelin's IV or Pink Floyd's Dark Side or even GN'R's AFD simply because it might be viewed as more technically advanced or proficient. If that was the primary qualifier, then a band like Dream Theater would dominate the best albums of all time lists. Despite having been one of the most technically proficient and musically educated bands around, DT's music and sound isn't better than a lot of lesser proficient//educated bands (except to their hardcore fans). Same logic applies to guitar playing or any instrument for that matter.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, thunderram said:

He is. But that's doesn't make him better than SLASH.

But he didn’t said that. He just said that IN HIS OPINION Slash’s opinion is correct. What’s wrong with you people? Too much drama about that.. The World is big enough to have more than one “fuckin’ amazing guitar player”.:facepalm:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

For me i kida have categories for guitarists

Communicators

Technicians

Innovators

Slash falls under the communicator factor me, he can put people who don't even like guitar under his spell which is a talent in itself...tech wise hes very good but no hes no innovator. Bucket is a tech guy and very innovative....what we don't speak about much is Slashs ability as a rhythm player...he is a fuckn awesome rhythm player

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, thunderram said:

My main point beyond that is that SLASH is liked and appreciated by a lot more fans than is Buckethead. And there's numerous reasons for that. As good as he may be, Bucket is niche and appeals to a much smaller faction of fans. Why that fact is taken negatively is beyond me.

It's a shame that some people still use popularity as a measure of talent.

• Like 3

Regardless of who is better, at the end of the day...

Buckethead left the band over a decade ago and whatever unreleased work he did with GnR will either be stripped out or languish in purgatory within Axl's vault.

Slash peaked in the 90's - and all of his glorious mid-90's unused riffs will likely continue rotting in Axl's vault. 

GnR fans lose again.

Hey, guys... has anyone actually seen Slash and Buckethead in the same room together? Do any photos exist of them both together? No?

That's because they're the same person.

How do we know that isn't Slash under the mask and bucket? Think about it. Slash gets fed up with how much of a hassle it is to work with Axl in the studio, so he creates a secret alter ego so that he can stay productive and keep releasing new music on the side, and he doesn't alienate his traditional audience with his shred based brand of avant-garde. 

Things go tits up in Guns. Slash leaves and keeps himself busy with Snakepit, Blues Ball and his experimental Buckethead project - but he quickly gets bored. He wants back in on Guns, but there's just one problem - Axl now hates his guts and wants to keep him away.

Axl unwittingly hires Bucket for NuGuns, unaware of his true identity. Slash is once again living the good life, back in the band he helped bring to the top. But things once again start to sour quite quickly, and Slash realises why he left the first time. After a turbulent few years, he leaves once again, finding himself back in the same position he was in 10 years prior. He then throws himself into Velvet Revolver. 

Fast forward another 10 years, and third time's the charm. Axl and Slash are happy again. Of course Slash can nail Bucket's solos perfectly live (because he wrote them, obviously), but he deliberately fucks them up so that nobody catches on, least of all Axl who would throw a massive bitch fit when he discovers the decades of deceit and realises he was right about Slash all along.

Slash, disappointed with his traditional audience's dislike for his Bucket project, tries to change their minds by publicly acknowledging him as 'a fucking amazing player'. As shown in this thread, it backfires.

Think about it. It makes too much sense.

SAe7cB.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Hey, guys... has anyone actually seen Slash and Buckethead in the same room together? Do any photos exist of them both together? No?

That's because they're the same person.

How do we know that isn't Slash under the mask and bucket? Think about it. Slash gets fed up with how much of a hassle it is to work with Axl in the studio, so he creates a secret alter ego so that he can stay productive and keep releasing new music on the side, and he doesn't alienate his traditional audience with his shred based brand of avant-garde. 

Things go tits up in Guns. Slash leaves and keeps himself busy with Snakepit, Blues Ball and his experimental Buckethead project - but he quickly gets bored. He wants back in on Guns, but there's just one problem - Axl now hates his guts and wants to keep him away.

Axl unwittingly hires Bucket for NuGuns, unaware of his true identity. Slash is once again living the good life, back in the band he helped bring to the top. But things once again start to sour quite quickly, and Slash realises why he left the first time. After a turbulent few years, he leaves once again, finding himself back in the same position he was in 10 years prior. He then throws himself into Velvet Revolver. 

Fast forward another 10 years, and third time's the charm. Axl and Slash are happy again. Of course Slash can nail Bucket's solos perfectly live (because he wrote them, obviously), but he deliberately fucks them up so that nobody catches on, least of all Axl who would throw a massive bitch fit when he discovers the decades of deceit and realises he was right about Slash all along.

Slash, disappointed with his traditional audience's dislike for his Bucket project, tries to change their minds by publicly acknowledging him as 'a fucking amazing player'. As shown in this thread, it backfires.

Think about it. It makes too much sense.

SAe7cB.gif

This isn't at all ludicrous in any way.  The fact that Slash would have had to drop about 50 pounds, do daily sessions on a medieval stretching rack, have a full hair makeover, have his hands and fingers stretched and altered, learned a whole new technique in terms of guitar playing, learn to use nun-chucks, learn to do a robot dance and gladly put up with a Chris Shitman doesn't detract from the fact that I truly believe you have cracked the case, Columbo.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, T-Minus said:

This isn't at all ludicrous in any way.  The fact that Slash would have had to drop about 50 pounds, do daily sessions on a medieval stretching rack, have a full hair makeover, have his hands and fingers stretched and altered, learned a whole new technique in terms of guitar playing, learn to use nun-chucks, learn to do a robot dance and gladly put up with a Chris Shitman doesn't detract from the fact that I truly believe you have cracked the case, Columbo.

All the similarities are there:

They both play Les Pauls.

They both have long curly hair.

They both love horror movies.

And, err... Slash sometimes wears a McDonald's shirt, which is basically the same as a KFC bucket.

The truth has been staring us in the face all these years and we've been oblivious. 

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Azifwekare said:

All the similarities are there:

They both play Les Pauls.

They both have long curly hair.

They both love horror movies.

And, err... Slash sometimes wears a McDonald's shirt, which is basically the same as a KFC bucket.

The truth has been staring us in the face all these years and we've been oblivious. 

Maybe you thought I was disagreeing with you... I was not.  I totally agree with everything you typed, it's so very, very plausible.

• Haha 1