Has Frank gotten worse?

UsedYourIllusion

12 minutes ago, Robert39 said:

The best performance of the NILT tour was, when Steven took a seat behind the drumkit , thats how GN'R must sound !!!

It was the same drumkit btw, and i never believed that a drummer could be such a difference in how a band sounds !!

For a moment, when Steven played Out Ta Get Me I closed my eyes at the show and honestly it felt like I was hearing the Felt Forum 1988 video it just did have the magic Adler touch to it again.  

I don't hate Frank or think he is a bad drummer, but yeah it was special hearing Adler jam with those dudes again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

I see another thread has been created by a poster who starts off with an opinion and than it becomes apparent that the poster does not like Frank being in GNR and they prefer one of the drummers from a past line up. 

Than all the haters come out of the woodwork and fill a thread up again with the same repedative posts that fill up most threads. 

When another open minded poster pointed out some facts and or reasons to a change in drumming style the creater of the thread than trys to move the conversation in another direction  as their true intentions or motivations have come to the surface. 

I don't know why some of you can't be upfront with your opinions and just say I don't like the guy as i prefer a  band line up from the past. 

The creater of the thread ignores the fact that from when Slash and Duff rejoined the band they have dictated the tempo and speed of songs as stated as fact by the lead singer of the band. 

That is way the drumming style has changed from previous line-ups and over the years. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2

Frank is playing how Duff and Slash asked him to play. In the years before NITL his playing was much tighter, even though he obviously did take some creative freedom in spots, adding extra Ghost notes etc.

Anyway, it doesn't matter that the evidence to my comments is there, people prefer their version of the truth where he just decided to play looser and change his fills at the exact time Duff and Slash came back. 

There are parts within songs that I don't think he sounds good on, and in other songs he does a good job. I think he was a great drummer on the Chinese cycle, I think he's a good drummer on the NITL tour. Not great, and not bad.

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

For me the weak link is Axl

and that is likely the main reason why GNR will never reunite in this lifetime

axl likely doesnt wanna be exposed

so much so that he has FOUR distractions onstage helping to divert attention from the obvious fact that he is a completely different singer and performer

8 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Whatever, I'll just leave you there thinking that Frank plays that way because he's forced to. You made my day anyway.

Frank is in a band. He must play in tandem with that band. He must work with other band members to produce the desired sound. You seriously don't think he is playing to how Slash, Duff and Axl want it, in a multi-million dollar juggernaut? 

MD: That brash hi-hat flavor on early GNR is classic. You’ve put your own signature on it.

Frank: Funny you say that. I was using 14s before, but when we got into rehearsal, Slash and Duff [McKagan] wanted more of that big swashy feel. I switched to Sabian 15s at first and was getting more swash without actually having to lift my foot off the pedal, so I thought let’s just go 16s. Slash and Duff like to hear a lot of hi-hat, a lot of quarters and 8ths, like on “Paradise City” when I play those big fat quarters. It really cuts through in the arena settings.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/january-2017-frank-ferrer/

I believe there is also an interview out there with Slash, in which he says they worked with Frank to up the tempo of songs. I can't find it, but you may be able to, being the resident Slash expert and all.

he's a great drummer. but i've said it numerous times and im sure most will agree.. he's suited more of a session drummer role.. his style really gets lost in the mix of the gnr sound and ends up becoming the weaker part of the band.. while he keeps time perfectly and does what is asked of him, he just doesn't have that edge that others have..

look at taylor hawkins rocking this shit up with gnr and immediately the band sounds 1000x better.. just because of taylor.. 

it says alot about how crucial a proper rock drummer is more important than a session drummer who's style just doesn't have that edge..

1 hour ago, slaxl stradler said:

he's a great drummer. but i've said it numerous times and im sure most will agree.. he's suited more of a session drummer role.. his style really gets lost in the mix of the gnr sound and ends up becoming the weaker part of the band.. while he keeps time perfectly and does what is asked of him, he just doesn't have that edge that others have..

look at taylor hawkins rocking this shit up with gnr and immediately the band sounds 1000x better.. just because of taylor.. 

it says alot about how crucial a proper rock drummer is more important than a session drummer who's style just doesn't have that edge..

Funny thing is, Taylor was a session type drummer, did you know that?

A drummer or any musician that can play in multiple sessions has the necessary musical chops (ears and ability) to play with almost any band.

The idea that a session musician is a lesser musician is hilarious to me, especially considering how many session drummers replaced original drummers on records, and people still talk about the great feel on those records or can't tell the difference between them and the guy they know from the band. 

Seems to be an everlasting prejudice to Frank because he was hired to play in gnr, just like Richard.

Edited by Tom2112
  • GNFNR 1

On 10/10/2018 at 8:39 PM, Robert39 said:

The best performance of the NILT tour was, when Steven took a seat behind the drumkit , thats how GN'R must sound !!!

It was the same drumkit btw, and i never believed that a drummer could be such a difference in how a band sounds !!

I couldn't even tell the difference in sound when Adler did a few songs tbh.

People always complain about Frank playing too fast, but they played My Michelle faster with Steven too, so...

On 14-10-2018 at 1:58 PM, Azifwekare said:

I couldn't even tell the difference in sound when Adler did a few songs tbh.

People always complain about Frank playing too fast, but they played My Michelle faster with Steven too, so...

Then you have to listen better and read better !! I never complaind about Frank, he does a great job !! The only thing is, he isn't Steven and has not the feel that Steven has. Especially with OTGM and My Michelle.......

• Like 1

On 15/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Robert39 said:

Then you have to listen better and read better !! I never complaind about Frank, he does a great job !! The only thing is, he isn't Steven and has not the feel that Steven has. Especially with OTGM and My Michelle.......

I guess you need to take your own advice, mate :lol:

I was speaking generally. Key word: "people", not "you".