Would you be okay with GNR tuning down live?

With Axl’s vocal struggles over the recent times I feel like tuning down could be a viable option to help with his struggles. Personally I would hate to see them tune down as I feel it takes something out of great songs. Enter Sandman hasn’t been the same live since 1992. What is your guys opinions? Not sure if there’s been a topic on this yet to this point so I apologize if there is.

Edited by Gimpy Hewitt

For me, yeah changing the key of songs changes the feel entirely, even by a half-step.  Have you ever tried playing the SCOM intro in D standard tuning?  It sounds "off" for lack of a better term, like not anywhere close to "Golden God Awards DJ Ashba SCOM" off haha but still just totally different than the original

Considering Axl was able to slay it in 2016 with GNR, and with AC/DC (with AC/DC even with their original keys in standard tuning!), I would hope that he would be able to just simply get back to where he was a mere 2 years ago

No because the timbre would sound completely different.

1 hour ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Well, in my opinion it takes something out of GNRs great songs if they got Mickey Mouse on vocals instead of their actual singer Axl Rose. 

Hence, if tuning down means to get back Axl Rose, I am damn fine with it. 

In fact, I still don't get why Axl does not simply tune down his voice and sings every song with his deep "Its so easy" voice instead of ruining them with his attempts of sounding like he used to sound ages ago.

Axl singing with his ISE voice on every other song would sound more like GNR (and way better) to me than a Disney character performing those songs. This is because at least I would identify the vocalist as Axl Rose singing my beloved songs. But instead of this simple solution we are now debating about the whole band tuning down and not just one member tuning down, the one member who causes the requirement of something to happen. 

There's definitely a few songs where he could do that. The outro of Coma would be a great place for that.

1 hour ago, F*ck Fear said:

I still believe he can sing and sound like he did with AC/DC, just chooses not to.

Agreed. Listen to Out Ta Get Me from Cincinnati 2016 (Steven's first appearance). His voice sounds great there. He's gotta save his voice and sustain it over a 3+ hour show, so I don't mind a little Mickey here and there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Axl should step up rather then Slash tune down (wordplay!).

Its about the guitar set up and strings too. Slash traditionally plays Ernie Ball Power Slinky RPS 11-48 strings. On NITL he switched to Ernie Ball Paradigms, which are also advertised as "Slinky." The 48 gauge on the thicker strings is somewhat light and would maybe require a change to a lower gauge if down-tuned. And maybe Slinky (easily bendable) strings become an issue when being looser as a result of down tuning. Its a whole can of worms.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/watch-slash-and-his-guitar-tech-discuss-ernie-ball-paradigm-strings

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

There's definitely a few songs where he could do that. The outro of Coma would be a great place for that.

Agreed. Listen to Out Ta Get Me from Cincinnati 2016 (Steven's first appearance). His voice sounds great there. He's gotta save his voice and sustain it over a 3+ hour show, so I don't mind a little Mickey here and there.

Maybe its Steven Adler's presence that brings the best of Axl Rose!!! That or the more original members there are(or members who released an album with him), the better he sings!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Was just re-watching RIR 2017. Axl struggles with his lost voice so much in the Coma outro. He goes to the low voice for a bit, and it sounds pretty damn cool. Then he goes back to trying to hit notes that his voice just can't seem to do anymore. I'm not sure what his thought process is here. It's like he's trying to give fans the correct vocals even though he knows certain ranges of his voice are completely gone. 

And then there's Wichita Lineman; he hits all the correct notes and it sounds good. 

If there are any newly recorded vocals in the future for Axl, there surely won't be much in the way of the old screams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Was just re-watching RIR 2017. Axl struggles with his lost voice so much in the Coma outro. He goes to the low voice for a bit, and it sounds pretty damn cool. Then he goes back to trying to hit notes that his voice just can't seem to do anymore. I'm not sure what his thought process is here. It's like he's trying to give fans the correct vocals even though he knows certain ranges of his voice are completely gone. 

And then there's Wichita Lineman; he hits all the correct notes and it sounds good. 

If there are any newly recorded vocals in the future for Axl, there surely won't be much in the way of the old screams.

RIR was an overall not so good show for Axl (and arguably the rest of the band). He sounded worse than usual that night.

• Like 1

Best case scenario would be a reinclusion of Izzy and Steven into the band, at least Sorum. Izzy could sing Dust N' Bones and 14 years, maybe a solo track. Add So Fine to the list. 

Remove You Could Be Mine, even in 2009/10 and 06 he struggled at times to sing it along with Coma and Rocket Queen. Add songs like You Ain't the First, Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, Black Leather, and a solo Axl song before November Rain, something he can sing with his natural voice. 

Having other band members sing more songs, and having more songs he can sing with his baritone voice and removing the excessive times for each show could help a great deal with each show and tour.

59 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Another solution: play just ISE and BHS in a loop for two hours. That way they don't have to tune down anything. :lol:

You could add Mr Brownstone to that list.

He still sounds ropey in places on BHS, especially at the end.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The top of his range has really never been an issue for him. Tuning down won’t really solve much of anything. The GNR catalog requires him to change registers pretty frequently over the course of a 3 hr set. That’s the main issue that people perceive. When he’s off it’s usually more due to his middle register and jumping back and forth from it. 

ACDC sounds more consistent because those songs don’t really deviate and are similar in range.  

Thing is Axl wasn’t consistent even 25 yrs ago. It’s always been hit or miss to a degree. However when he’s on it’s still freakin transcendent to this day. Victory or Death

Exactly.

Tuning down is not going to solve anything. Look at Nice Boys with Angry Anderson. 

All you’ll get is a tuned down Mickey. His middle range is what he struggles to hit, not the high notes.

• Like 2