Slash says a little more about how they ended up with the NITL lineup (+reunion with Axl)

1 hour ago, The Matinator said:

I might be reading into it too much but the "Frank was great" quote makes me feel a lot better because you heard all these rumors of Slash & Duff not liking him and the quote from the Rolling Stone Slash interview about Frank wasn't really reassuring.

There were never rumors about it. Just people on this forum speculating.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Italian girl said:

I'm a bit off topic, but I found that susan and stephanie follow each other on IG and sometimes they leave hearts on each other pics.. 

yeah, I noticed that too.  For many women from the fashion world, Stephanie is an icon, and what was between Axl & Stephanie hasn't got anything to do with Susan.

On 10/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, 3rd Wheel said:

This might not be the actual first time but for me it's the first time I've ever seen a quote from Slash, Axl, or Duff where they basically say, "Yeah, we tried to get the AFD lineup back together and would've probably kicked Frank and/or Fortus to the curb to make it happen, but it didn't happen so here we are."

It does sound like Slash is hinting a that, in a way, but it could also mean permanent guest spots. Or those first run of shows. Coachella was supposed to be IT initially. I have a hard time believing Fortus and Frank would have been given the boot. Bumble, Stinson and Ashba all left vacancies. It was probably clear to them from the beginning that Adler and Izzy weren't going to work out. Well, Adler was injured early on. How much crazier would that Troubadour show have been had Izzy and Adler also appeared?

Edited by GnR Chris

On 10/17/2018 at 6:52 AM, DTV88 said:

That could be part of it. I'm only relaying what I was told by someone I trust.

I 100 percent don't believe Gilby was offered a role in the reunion and turned it down. He'd have to be crazy. I saw him play in front of 20 people at the Double Door. Who wouldn't want to play in front of 60000? No matter what GNR offered, it would have been more than he made playing at the Double Door.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 1:41 PM, GnR Chris said:

I 100 percent don't believe Gilby was offered a role in the reunion and turned it down. He'd have to be crazy. I saw him play in front of 20 people at the Double Door. Who wouldn't want to play in front of 60000? No matter what GNR offered, it would have been more than he made playing at the Double Door.

I hear what you're saying, but my source says otherwise.

By your logic, Izzy should be doing a guest spot every night :shrugs:

On 16/10/2018 at 11:06 PM, 3rd Wheel said:

This might not be the actual first time but for me it's the first time I've ever seen a quote from Slash, Axl, or Duff where they basically say, "Yeah, we tried to get the AFD lineup back together and would've probably kicked Frank and/or Fortus to the curb to make it happen, but it didn't happen so here we are."

We knew Izzy and Steven were at rehearsals. Steven hurt his back. Izzy wanted equal loot. We kind of knew they tried. 

Axl said Steven and Izzy were around but it didn’t work out. 

42 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

IDK if this is the correct thread to post this, but Gilby admitted again that he was asked to join GNR. And explains why he couldn’t make it

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gilby-clarke-says-he-turned-down-offer-to-play-with-guns-n-roses-on-not-in-this-lifetime-tour/

Its cool to get more info on this. After reading it, Im left wondering why either party didn't simply suggest a different date for a guest slot?

15 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

There's probably more to the story than what Gilby said. 

Perhaps the public breakdown of negotiations with Izzy played into it? Timing wise, Izzy went public prior to the April shows. As far as we know Guns and LN took it one step at a time and the world tour wasnt signed off on until some point after the April shows were booked. A July invite was very early in the tour. I wonder if, following the failed involvement of Izzy, Gilby felt like he was just being wheeled out to legitimize the launch of the world tour, a tour that he didnt stand to benefit from. And pure speculation of course, but maybe Gilby was holding out for a later invite that would feel more equitable. But the band quickly learned that no interviews, no new songs and the mash up lineup were all completely fine with ticket buyers and didnt think about Gilby ever again.

Or maybe Gilby didn't want to play next to Fortus to offer the world and A / B comparison on the guitar skills that secured the place in the reunion line-up? It's almost like Gilby was kicked out twice (by not being the full time reunion player) for a perceived lack of skills on Axl and Co's part.

I dunno.

Edited by soon

On 10/17/2018 at 7:55 AM, GNRfanMILO said:

I think it’s common knowledge that Gilby was offered a spot at some point. Because he talked about it somewhere. I think Matt was asked to join too.

EDIT: Gilby was asked to join as a guest but it didn’t work out. I knew I was right :lol:http://theseeker.ca/interview-guns-n-roses-gilby-clarke/27231/

Maybe they wanted to do a super lineup with Steven and Izzy playing the AFD songs, Matt and Gilby playing the UYI songs and Richard and Frank playing the CD songs? It doesn’t make any sense, but what also doesn’t make sense is believing that Izzy or Steven were going to play CD songs...

But I’m 99% sure that everyone was asked to join the reunion at one point or another. I think each of them adressed it at least once since 2016/04/01.

A super super line up center around slash duff and axl (and dizzy reed, of course, cuz can't forget about him) would have actually been pretty amazing. Maybe unnecessary but pretty amazing 

Edited by Gunsdrummer63

On 10/22/2018 at 9:29 PM, wasted said:

We knew Izzy and Steven were at rehearsals. Steven hurt his back. Izzy wanted equal loot. We kind of knew they tried. 

Axl said Steven and Izzy were around but it didn’t work out. 

I'm guessing it fell apart with Izzy over money/commitment and without Izzy they didn't feel obligated to stick with Alder. 

Now, why Izzy would be at rehearsal without an agreement in place, who knows? Maybe he was there to discuss terms. Maybe they wanted to get a look at him and see if he could still play. 

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

It would've sounded awesome if Gilby was in it. Like those Kings of Chaos videos that were posted here a while back.

Meh, I think the only problem here is the drummer. Frank's a good drummer, just not the correct type of drummer for GNR. I think that's the only reason why GNR doesn't sound like those Kings of Chaos videos, or Foo Fighter's cover of It's So Easy.

Fortus, on the other hand, is a beast AND fits GNR. I think that having Gilby or even Izzy, but with Frank on drums, wouldn't change a thing.

But I see why he's still on the band. It's not easy to drum on 3hour sets every night, in the longest tour in GNR's history.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Meh, I think the only problem here is the drummer. Frank's a good drummer, just not the correct type of drummer for GNR. I think that's the only reason why GNR doesn't sound like those Kings of Chaos videos, or Foo Fighter's cover of It's So Easy.

Fortus, on the other hand, is a beast AND fits GNR. I think that having Gilby or even Izzy, but with Frank on drums, wouldn't change a thing.

But I see why he's still on the band. It's not easy to drum on 3hour sets every night, in the longest tour in GNR's history.

100% Frank is the main reason the current GNR sucks balls 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

I'm guessing it fell apart with Izzy over money/commitment and without Izzy they didn't feel obligated to stick with Alder. 

Now, why Izzy would be at rehearsal without an agreement in place, who knows? Maybe he was there to discuss terms. Maybe they wanted to get a look at him and see if he could still play. 

where was it ever mentioned that Iz was at rehersals!?!?

Steve yes, Fortus and Frank were called back, but never a word of Iz actually ever attending rehersal. For all we know, it could have been Slash/Ax/Duff/Steve/Dizz and Iz negotiating, then Adler falling out, for whatever real reason (drugs, back, finger, foot...), then Iz negotitions falling through and Ax sayin 'I'll bring back FF'.

Personally, I would take option w Sorum Iz/Gilb every day over what we have now. we would have a band with far more soul, no prerecorded parts and some hope of seeing some album some day.  This line up is purely there for touring purpose.

32 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

where was it ever mentioned that Iz was at rehersals!?!?

Steve yes, Fortus and Frank were called back, but never a word of Iz actually ever attending rehersal. For all we know, it could have been Slash/Ax/Duff/Steve/Dizz and Iz negotiating, then Adler falling out, for whatever real reason (drugs, back, finger, foot...), then Iz negotitions falling through and Ax sayin 'I'll bring back FF'.

Personally, I would take option w Sorum Iz/Gilb every day over what we have now. we would have a band with far more soul, no prerecorded parts and some hope of seeing some album some day.  This line up is purely there for touring purpose.

I think there's a rumor Izzy did a soundcheck? It's really just something that's mentioned on here from time to time, not sure where it came from.

Axl had the cancelled Kimmel appearance and who exactly was in the band was pretty secretive for months so my guess is they were feeling out a possible Appetite 5 and it fell through.

12 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I think there's a rumor Izzy did a soundcheck? It's really just something that's mentioned on here from time to time, not sure where it came from.

Axl had the cancelled Kimmel appearance and who exactly was in the band was pretty secretive for months so my guess is they were feeling out a possible Appetite 5 and it fell through.

I think Doug Goldstein spread the rumor on Izzy at a soundcheck

14 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I sure that was Alan Niven spread this about Izzy.