The Most Depressing Album Of All Time ?

oldnews

A lot of em become so after the fact when they weren't at the time.  Nirvana albums for instance, have been painted as this awful depressing dirges when at the time they were super fun super funny energetic sort of albums, like The Stooges in that respect.  I guess Joy Divisions second album is a tad like that, their first album I always thought was quite evocative.  Hmmm, depressing, an album has to be pretty cohesive for the whole thing to be depressing and there's not a great deal of examples of that. 

• Like 2

I guess the more relentlessly melancholic albums. If the guitars are aggressive then that’s fun. 

So The Cure and Pink Floyd albums are depressing for me. 

Disintegration by The Cure is the only one I’ve ever really listened to that was depressing. Pictures of You sucks. 

Everything Must Go by The Manic Street Preachers was sort of depressing.  Unplugged in New York by Nirvana. But it’s more about what happened than the albums. Not that they are a party. 

Dummy by Portishead is pretty depressing. But it’s more kind of spooky and haunting. 

I found I am Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco depressing but then I realised it was shit. 

Holy Bible and In Utero are more like cathartic. Downward Spiral is hilarious. 

The Cure doom trilogy is pretty depressing to listen to, why would you do that?

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

A lot of em become so after the fact when they weren't at the time.  Nirvana albums for instance, have been painted as this awful depressing dirges when at the time they were super fun super funny energetic sort of albums, like The Stooges in that respect.  I guess Joy Divisions second album is a tad like that, their first album I always thought was quite evocative.  Hmmm, depressing, an album has to be pretty cohesive for the whole thing to be depressing and there's not a great deal of examples of that. 

Yeah i can't say i've heard an album that depresses me the whole way through, some are dark,uneasy or ominous sounding but not depressing per se. Always loved listenig to Liquid Swords when it's stormy and raining for vibes.

Edited by Silverburst80

9 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Yeah i can't say i've heard an album that depresses me the whole way through, some are dark,uneasy or ominous sounding but not depressing per se. Always loved listenig to Liquid Swords when it's stormy and raining for vibes.

This begs an interesting question, whats a depressing hip hop album?  Tupac could get a bit much at times, not depressing so much as too intense.  Also he's got a body of work full of shit that he never meant for release so for a lot of the time over 8 or 10 posthumous albums he's talking about the same fucking thing.

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Pink Floyd - Animals, The Wall, Final Cut

I never found Animals to be that depressing really. The Final Cut I'd agree with. Not sure about The Wall. 

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy 

That album is full of depressive lyrics. 

It's a terribly depressing album, but for all the wrong reasons. 

Maybe also Electro-Shock Blues by the Eels. 

Leonard Cohen should also be in here somewhere. Probably with Songs Of Love And Hate or The Future. 

And I have a feeling Nick Cave should be on this list. I'm not that familiar with all of his work, but his vibe fits the bill. Muder Ballads? 

Probably also Radiohead. OK Computer? I hate that album... 

And then there's The Holy Bible by the Manic's... 

Edit: Amy Winehouse her Back To Black can also be pretty depressing, especially in retrospect.  

Edited by username

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

This begs an interesting question, whats a depressing hip hop album?  Tupac could get a bit much at times, not depressing so much as too intense.  Also he's got a body of work full of shit that he never meant for release so for a lot of the time over 8 or 10 posthumous albums he's talking about the same fucking thing.

Again depressing "album"...hmm not sure theres been one...Wu has always gone the darkest to me emotively..All That I Got Is You, Impossible, A Better Tomorrow etc, just brilliant work of strings and piano

Edited by Silverburst80

11 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

Again depressing "album"...hmm not sure theres been one...Wu has always gone the darkest to me emotively..All That I Got Is You, Impossible, A Better Tomorrow etc, just brilliant work of strings and piano

All that I Got is You is kinda triumphant though too in an odd way.  Impossible is too aggressive to be depressing. 

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Interesting how songs hits the ear differently for different people. For me its the lyrics on Animals.

I get where you're coming from with the subject matter. But the overall music vibe, for me, isn't as depressing as the subject itself. Which kind of lifts it up. That, and there's this strange sense of peace and hope about Pigs On The Wing. I love that song to bits. Especially the full version with the Snowy White solo in the middle. 

9 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

All that I Got is You is kinda triumphant though too in an odd way.  Impossible is too aggressive to be depressing. 

In a way...because you know Ghost had made it, but even the last line " sometimes i look at he stars and analyse the sky and ask myself am i meant to be here ..why?, just sounds like a young man whos seen too much and cant un-see it.

59 minutes ago, soon said:

Pink Floyd - Animals, The Wall, Final Cut

Amelia Curran - Spectators

Adrian Belew - Side Two

Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies, self titled, MTV Unplugged

The opening of Rotten Apple and Nutshell off Jar of Flies are heavy man. They just threw that album together in a few days after a tour because they had nowhere to live apparently

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, username said:

I get where you're coming from with the subject matter. But the overall music vibe, for me, isn't as depressing as the subject itself. Which kind of lifts it up. That, and there's this strange sense of peace and hope about Pigs On The Wing. I love that song to bits. Especially the full version with the Snowy White solo in the middle. 

I agree, Waters is all doom and gloom often times, but the other members all bring so many other dynamics and dimensions. Like the huge tom tom rolls in the up beat parts of Dogs is very rousing - like the joy of running as a pack of dogs, rather then the fear of a pack of dogs. And by then Gilmour almost had a grandiose, cinematic and romantic lead style on the slow numbers. And ricks endless river of dreamy synths bring up the mood a lot. Which is odd to me because i was also going to list Ricks solo albums - one of which is about depression, Broken China. Pigs sounds truly filthy and loathsome to my ears though.

Pigs on the wing is incredible. Love the full version with Snowy too. But I guess Im more 'glass half empty' on this because for me the emphasis on "a shelter from pigs on the wing" is on the need to find shelter from the pigs waiting to harm you. Your take is much better :lol:

4 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

The opening of Rotten Apple and Nutshell off Jar of Flies are heavy man. They just threw that album together in a few days after a tour because they had nowhere to live apparently

So heavy. I didnt know about how the album was made. That adds to the weightiness. My first spin, it was like a punch in the gut.

18 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

I think everyone also needs to take into account what the word "depressing" is, a "sad" album maybes a better word. My fling with depression left me devoid of emotions period...the most frustrating of all not giving a shit about music! (not sobbin btw left that shit behind haha)

I hate it when people say they are depressed when they've been sad for a couple of days... there's a huge difference!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I hate it when people say they are depressed when they've been sad for a couple of days... there's a huge difference!

haha to be fair i was probably guilty of it myself till it happened to me..but yes huuuuuge difference! When you hear the opening riff of Nightrain and you just sit there like a wooden stump somethins up! haha

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Come on think of it Chi Dem is a good call, he's pretty much moaning the whole time. 

It’s mostly about overcoming, self righteous stuff though. Only SOD, TWAT have a sadness to them. It’s basically held back rage. Not really depressing is it. Made by someone who was depressed maybe. 

There’s also dark like Holy Bible and depressing like The Cure. 

Eminem albums are depressing really. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

It’s mostly about overcoming, self righteous stuff though. Only SOD, TWAT have a sadness to them. It’s basically held back rage. Not really depressing is it. Made by someone who was depressed maybe. 

There’s also dark like Holy Bible and depressing like The Cure. 

Eminem albums are depressing really. 

But who is Sorry about...it puzzles me inn the same way as why didnt Martika become as big as Taylor Swift.

Edited by Silverburst80