The Most Depressing Album Of All Time ?

oldnews

On 20/10/2018 at 10:46 AM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Quadrophenia by The Who

This is a really good shout.  The Who by Numbers is sort of similar too.  Basically after their first three albums The Who became quite...depressing thematically, its just they didn't play depressing so it kinda remedied stuff but thematically Quadrophenia is almost unbearable at times, thats why I listen to it so little despite recognising it as a landmark work in rock history.  I tend to listen to The Real Me (which is pretty depressing) and Bell Boy.  And The Who By Numbers is just basically like all about Townshends alcoholism, However Much I Booze is a really fuckin'...heavy song, trapped feeling, there's a real desperation to it, its very direct and confessional with little to know metaphoric fuckeries, it sounds like a man on the verge of suicide.  Even Who's Next to a point is like, these visions that Townshend had of an unpleasant future. 

• Like 2

Porcupine Tree have got to be in with a shout as well. Lots of their lyrics deal with abusive relationships or moments in people's lives where things go horribly wrong. I mean, it's beautifully constructed music and there's quite a lot of empathy to be gained from listening to it, so I enjoy it in a weird way. This is a really poignant song about dying unfulfilled, with regrets... also the only time I've heard a singer imitate an ambulance siren in a song and have it sound devastating rather than ridiculous.

Sea Changes by Beck

"Happy songs" include: Lost Cause, Lonesome Tears, Already Dead

I believe the album was written following Beck's divorce from his wife.  

OK Computer by Radiohead

Most Radiohead is fairly depressing, but OK Computer I think hits some darker notes than any other album (though Hail to the Thief is a close second).  

On 19-10-2018 at 11:44 AM, wasted said:

I found I am Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco depressing but then I realised it was shit. 

There are some good songs on it but for some reason it never appealed to me either... maybe that's also because it came after Summerteeth and that one is brilliant and hard to top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...