Garden of Eden doesn't get as much appreciation as it deserves

Funny song, love the video but definitely a filler track. I wouldn't call the lyrics fantastic, especially on a set of albums which also has Locomotive, Estranged, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, and Bad Apples.

Edited by EvH

4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Seriously, it has got fantastic lyrics and rocks just as hard as any Appetite song. I think it's one of the band's most unappreciated songs, up there with Locomotive and Breakdown. Thoughts?

I like it but it if you meant that it was as heavy as anything on Appetite I totally disagree.  It is fast but the guitars feel a bit thin compared to Appetite. You can pretty much say that about all the rockers on the Illusions.. I still like them but for the most part they feel a bit diluted compared to Appetite. The only one that I feel really captures the raw, edgy, heavy feel of Appetite is You Could Be Mine.. 

• Like 1

Maybe its overlooked because whenever one listens they find themselves distracted by Duffs talking bit at the end? That overshadows the song. What is he saying? I hear "Yo, we aint talkin' bout no worm eyeballs gnome missing riffs, ya hear?"

Which is weird if he is saying about "missing riffs" because to my ears the riff is kinda missing in this song. Perhaps its notes and dynamics are lost to the shitty UYI mix, over indulgent guitar tone and especially on this track the sound effects? But the riff seems to lack direction, its like a sloppy rendition of revving an engine.

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Maybe its overlooked because whenever one listens they find themselves distracted by Duffs talking bit at the end? That overshadows the song. What is he saying? I hear "Yo, we aint talkin' bout no worm eyeballs gnome missing riffs, ya hear?"

Which is weird if he is saying about "missing riffs" because to my ears the riff is kinda missing in this song. Perhaps its notes and dynamics are lost to the shitty UYI mix, over indulgent guitar tone and especially on this track the sound effects? But the riff seems to lack direction, its like a sloppy rendition of revving an engine.

I may be very wrong but I always thought it was "Yeah we ain't talking bout no poison apple or some missing rib, ya hear?"  Which relates to the old yarn in the Bible.

Edited by T-Minus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As much as I understand these things are usually more like thrown in just for the debate, I’ve never understood all this overrated/underrated nonsense.

I mean, it’s always highly individual, isn’t it? Of course tunes like November Rain will always be played way more, and not just because they have videos accompanying them.

But then, I’ve always liked all these not-so-popular, kickass songs like RNDTH, Perfect Crime, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown (one of the bests!), Garden of Eden, Don’t Damn Me, Locomotive, and others. They are the shit!

Edited by jamillos

4 minutes ago, T-Minus said:

I may be very wrong but I always thought it was "Yeah we ain't talking bout no poison apple or some missing rib, ya hear?"  Which relates to the old yarn in the Bible.

Makes perfect sense for the song, Im sure thats it. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, soon said:

You sure you like Guns N' Roses? :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EvH said:

Funny song, love the video but definitely a filler track. I wouldn't call the lyrics fantastic, especially on a set of albums which also has Locomotive, Estranged, Breakdown, Don't Damn Me, and Bad Apples.

The lyrics can still be fantastic, independent of the other songs on the UYI albums. 

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

You sure you like Guns N' Roses? :D

Haha, I love GnR! I dig this song too. Im not sure which part of what I said youre referring too, but if its the riff being muddled, directionless and buried in mix I stand by it. 

But I guess as a true fan I should've known what Duff said already. :lol:

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I like it but it if you meant that it was as heavy as anything on Appetite I totally disagree.  It is fast but the guitars feel a bit thin compared to Appetite. You can pretty much say that about all the rockers on the Illusions.. I still like them but for the most part they feel a bit diluted compared to Appetite. The only one that I feel really captures the raw, edgy, heavy feel of Appetite is You Could Be Mine.. 

Don't Damn Me captures the AFD feel. That is probably GNR's most underrated song. I know Slash said that Axl has a hard time singing it live due to the spacing of the words in that song. However, I would LOVE to hear that live, especially since they played Coma. 

• Like 1