Will President Trump get a Cease and Desist Letter for using November Rain at his Rallies

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

If he was truly compromised with a cause, he would move his ass from the chair and do things to get involved in the problematics.

Ellen Paige went to Brazil to interview Bolsonaro, for example. She's not tweeting from the comfortability of her home, she's an activist. She speaks in public and confronts people.

Angelina Jolie just visited Perú to get involved in the problematic of Venezuelan immigrants. She talked to the immigrants, to the government of Perú, she uses her fame to give visibility to the problems.

Politics are in the streets with the people, not in Twitter behind the keyboard. That's what trolls do, not what a really compromised politically involved person does.

I actually agree with all of what you say, in so much as its applied to self-identified activists. My heart doesn't understand how the masses capitulate or remain passive. But at the end of the day I can understand how that goes. If Axl and others can stand/sit/lay and be counted via twitter I think there is value in that. 

Yes, Paige is an activist and iirc Jolie is a UN cultural ambassador. Such important work. As a Canadian Im proud that Paige is from here. Im an activist myself (way more legit then Paige, lol) and while I've certainly mocked people for being "Facebook slacktavists (Slacker Activist) " and I believe there is space for those criticisms, I dont expect everyone to be an activist.

The type of mass mobilizing that I would say is important in Trumps America needs the researchers, the organizers, the activists, the journalists and the tweets of the politically engaged artists. And the tweets of common folk. Imo all the functions are important. 

It would be awesome if Axl was prepared to be an activist. I think he'd have lots to offer in that way. But, for me, it doesn't reflect poorly on him for not being an activist. Also, we don't know if he allocates funds to social movements.

Or maybe the first part of my response was just self care in the face of widespread apathy. Maybe you and I should get matching balaclavas for a Bonnie and Clyde style road trip across the USA to fuck shit up!! :lol:

Edited by soon

Democracy is built upon the foundation of political discourse. That includes water cooler talk. Families discussing over dinner. Heated letters to the local newspaper. Facebook posts. But also celebrities tweeting. We can't all be activists. But we can all have political opinions, use our freedom of speech, and vote. And that's what it is all about.

49 minutes ago, yourcrazy said:

I am sick of celebrities liberal opinions who have no sense of reality to what the average worker has to deal with.  

Trump was born with a golden spoon and has no sense of that either though from day 1 of his birth ;)  At least Axl was a street urchin back in the day in that sense lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl should try to interview Trump? :lol:

Axl is not a politician, but you don't have to be a politician to be allowed to have views on politics, nor do you have to be active in politics to be allowed to have an opinion, or to be allowed to express said opinions on the Internet. If that would be the case, almost none of us would be able to have political opinions and express them.

I feel people are holding Axl to higher standards than they would other people ;)

:question:

The OP was wondering IF Axl's going to take action against Trump using GN'R songs....... due to the public disdain that Rose has displayed for Trump, one would expect that he's going to do something about that, right?
So I responded that I don't think he will because he's just a keyboard warrior....... with an opinion, yes.... but opinions are like buttholes........... so what? :shrugs:

And then I gave examples of other artists who are truly involved in causes they believe in and support. Artists who not only tweet but also get physically involved with the causes they support.

Does that mean that Axl should interview Trump?
Ugh, dude.... :facepalm:

No, it means that IF he's more than just tweets THEN he would send a C&D order for Trump stop using his songs..... maybe?
Ok, but that would ONLY happen IF Axl was more than just tweets.
I don't believe Axl is more than just tweets so NO, I don't hold Axl to any higher standards than others, THEREFORE I must return to my initial comment:

Would love to be proven wrong, though...

45 minutes ago, soon said:

If Axl and others can stand/sit/lay and be counted via twitter I think there is value in that.

I think nowadays you can't relay on that because nowadays Twitter (and all the social networks) are a cesspool of trolls and bots.

There's an army of paid trolls to post their "opinion" for or against this or that cause, politician, law, anything social.

The "opinion" circulating over the Internet is not genuine anymore, so I'm not really counting or giving it much value because of that.

50 minutes ago, soon said:

The type of mass mobilizing that I would say is important in Trumps America needs the researchers, the organizers, the activists, the journalists and the tweets of the politically engaged artists. And the tweets of common folk. Imo all the functions are important. 

More votes and less tweets.
More information and education via legit sources of information.
Less reading fake news and opinions of trolls on the Internet.

If you want to change something you don't agree with you need to go back to the roots and talk to your peers, to your neighbor, to the little shop owners in your town.... Go out and learn what's going on with other people, organize yourself, gather with a bunch of peers and get out on the streets, let your voice be heard. Actually heard. By the politician who's comfortable in his chair. Go knock the door of his office and say "dude, Im not on Twitter so I've come to talk to you because you have to solve my problem". That's how you change shit.

Twitter is bollocks for lazy asses.

55 minutes ago, soon said:

It would be awesome if Axl was prepared to be an activist. I think he'd have lots to offer in that way. But, for me, it doesn't reflect poorly on him for not being an activist. Also, we don't know if he allocates funds to social movements.

You dont need to be an "activist" in full body to get involved and take action. There's so much he could do without having to "interview" Trump or travel to Venezuela.

For example, when he spoke about his child abuse and stuff like that with a magazine like Rolling Stone, that's one moment when he truly did something for other people. Any kid who looked up to him in 1992 and was going through similar situations, I bet my ass he helped that person just with coming out and speaking about it in a big major media like RS. Probably lots of kids and even adults identified with his story and who knows, maybe they got the courage to speak about it too, or at least the knowledge that celebrities also suffer in life.

Axl's got a fame and a platform of fans that so many politicians wish they'd have.... and I think he's not taking advantage of it.... but I don't even know if he truly cares for a cause(s) right now or feels truly passionate about something. All I see is him vehemently commenting "news" on Twitter and I don't see any value on that, because Internet is full of opinions and 99% of them are just that: infoxication, garbage, spam, irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Maybe there's something about Axl that makes him angry when he hears of children being locked in cages?

Except that one photo that was used by the media this spring of a child inside a cage was taken in 2014, during Obama's presidency. Oh, and remember Elian Gonzalez, the kid who was taken away in a raid in Miami in 1997? Clinton's presidency.

I can see where your political beliefs lie. Do research before making foolish comments. The people flooding into America aren't given country club conditions at the border, but they have a roof over their heads, unlike homeless veterans who fought to keep America free.

41 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I think nowadays you can't relay on that because nowadays Twitter (and all the social networks) are a cesspool of trolls and bots.

There's an army of paid trolls to post their "opinion" for or against this or that cause, politician, law, anything social.

The "opinion" circulating over the Internet is not genuine anymore, so I'm not really counting or giving it much value because of that.

More votes and less tweets.
More information and education via legit sources of information.
Less reading fake news and opinions of trolls on the Internet.

If you want to change something you don't agree with you need to go back to the roots and talk to your peers, to your neighbor, to the little shop owners in your town.... Go out and learn what's going on with other people, organize yourself, gather with a bunch of peers and get out on the streets, let your voice be heard. Actually heard. By the politician who's comfortable in his chair. Go knock the door of his office and say "dude, Im not on Twitter so I've come to talk to you because you have to solve my problem". That's how you change shit.

Twitter is bollocks for lazy asses.

You dont need to be an "activist" in full body to get involved and take action. There's so much he could do without having to "interview" Trump or travel to Venezuela.

For example, when he spoke about his child abuse and stuff like that with a magazine like Rolling Stone, that's one moment when he truly did something for other people. Any kid who looked up to him in 1992 and was going through similar situations, I bet my ass he helped that person just with coming out and speaking about it in a big major media like RS. Probably lots of kids and even adults identified with his story and who knows, maybe they got the courage to speak about it too, or at least the knowledge that celebrities also suffer in life.

Axl's got a fame and a platform of fans that so many politicians wish they'd have.... and I think he's not taking advantage of it.... but I don't even know if he truly cares for a cause(s) right now or feels truly passionate about something. All I see is him vehemently commenting "news" on Twitter and I don't see any value on that, because Internet is full of opinions and 99% of them are just that: infoxication, garbage, spam, irrelevant.

So, I take that as a "no" to the Bonnie and Clyde USA road trip? :cry: 

:lol:

18 minutes ago, soon said:

So, I take that as a "no" to the Bonnie and Clyde USA road trip? :cry:

:lol:

<oopd s :ph34r: i didnt even read that properly!

Im not sure Im fully aware who are Bonnie and Clyde but I know Im not allowed to enter the USA (not that I want to either... :P)

So I'd rather go to Europe, if you wanna join me.... ;)

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

<oopd s :ph34r: i didnt even read that properly!

Im not sure Im fully aware who are Bonnie and Clyde but I know Im not allowed to enter the USA (not that I want to either... :P)

So I'd rather go to Europe, if you wanna join me.... ;)

They were bandits in the US during the early automobile era. Cant enter US, huh? :slash:

I hear Europe is nice this time of year :) 

4 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Except that one photo that was used by the media this spring of a child inside a cage was taken in 2014, during Obama's presidency. Oh, and remember Elian Gonzalez, the kid who was taken away in a raid in Miami in 1997? Clinton's presidency.

I can see where your political beliefs lie. Do research before making foolish comments. The people flooding into America aren't given country club conditions at the border, but they have a roof over their heads, unlike homeless veterans who fought to keep America free.

Oh, right, I know no horrible thing Trump says or does counts if you can find some sort of comparable example of those spooky Clintons doing something similar. 

Trump is a vile piece of shit. JOBS! or not. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, downzy said:

Not sure you were paying attention last year when Axl invited fans up in Mexico to take a few whacks at a Trump piñata.  

Or the numerous times Trump has railed against Trump and his supporters on Twitter.  

He even took a swipe at Trump in parts of the country that are heavy Trump supporters like upstate New York (I was in the pit at the Buffalo concert when Axl made a Trump joke).

Even if he was concerned about burning bridges in middle America, GNR isn't likely to play there again for quite some time.  The rest of the world ain't no fan of Trump, so any gesture against Trump isn't likely to hurt ticket sales. 

Yes, we are aware of that because we follow the GnR world closely.  It wasn't (isn't)national news.  1000's of bands and comedians etc have made remarks about Trump that largely go unnoticed.  Do you know what Scott Ian said about Trump in an Anthrax concert? No, because you aren't a hardcore fan.  You moderate a GnR forum, obviously, you are aware of a lot of things GnR that 99.9% of people who are not superfans will not know.  

Digs at the president are simply too numerous and too common for people to care about them all.  If Axl launched a high profile lawsuit against Donald Trump, it would make the news, much like when Eminem made a rap video about him.  If Eminem had just said "Fuck Trump!"  or made Trump jokes at his concerts, it just wouldn't have made the same splash.

15 hours ago, downzy said:

At this point I think Axl, Slash, and Duff have made so much money from the last two years of touring I don't think money will ever dictate their behaviour going forward.  

If you don't think Slash, Duff and Axl still love money, I don't know what to say.  Agree to disagree on this topic.  

Just FYI, any musician that sends cease and desist notices to any politician is just grandstanding to show that they don't agree with that politician or to show that they don't want to be seen as political. Any politician can play any song at a political rally and there is nothing the copyright owner can do about it legally.

6 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Yes, we are aware of that because we follow the GnR world closely.  It wasn't (isn't)national news.  1000's of bands and comedians etc have made remarks about Trump that largely go unnoticed.  Do you know what Scott Ian said about Trump in an Anthrax concert? No, because you aren't a hardcore fan.  You moderate a GnR forum, obviously, you are aware of a lot of things GnR that 99.9% of people who are not superfans will not know.  

Digs at the president are simply too numerous and too common for people to care about them all.  If Axl launched a high profile lawsuit against Donald Trump, it would make the news, much like when Eminem made a rap video about him.  If Eminem had just said "Fuck Trump!"  or made Trump jokes at his concerts, it just wouldn't have made the same splash.

I'm not sure why you think it would be a high profile lawsuit?  

I think you're overestimating how much people would take notice if GNR requested Trump from using his music.  

GNR sending Trump a C&D letter wouldn't be national news either.  

Steven Tyler sent a formal complaint to the Trump campaign for using Dream On and no one really cared nor did it seem to have any impact on Aerosmith's financial health.