Apu Will Be Removed from the Simpsons

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/simpsons-confirm-apu-leave-2394238

The Simpsons have confirmed that controversial character Apu will be cut out of future episodes.

The long-running show has come under fire for it’s depiction of Kwik-E-Mart owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, with viewers complaining that the character promotes racist stereotypes of people of Indian and Asian descent.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I never watched the documentary that started this all, The Problem With Apu by Hari Kondabolu, so I cant really speak to whatever the arguments were.

But I note that this is happening at a time when a major talking point in film and TV is about representation. I know Indian people whose parents run a convenience store and speak with a thick accent. They don't get to be represented? A successful, small businessman of colour isn't a positive representation?

Fun Fact: Did you now that the image of Indian people as western merchants is, in part, the product of the Colonial British belief/observation that certain Casts of Indians are especially skilled and industrious small business operators? The Brits even brought Indians abroad to other colonial holdings to operate businesses on behalf of the empire. Kind of modeled the fact that the entrepreneurial mojo of some of those folks could be successful internationally.

Edited by soon

It fucking frustrates me that instances like this (which, by the way I think is a stupid decision) are used by some right-wing knuckle-draggers to argue that the pursuit of social justice and equality of opportunity are a bad thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

It fucking frustrates me that instances like this (which, by the way I think is a stupid decision) are used by some right-wing knuckle-draggers to argue that the pursuit of social justice and equality of opportunity are a bad thing.

You're just worrying whether or not they'll ban Groundskeeper Willie, aren't you?

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, metallex78 said:

The show has been running for 30 years, and now people are offended by him...??? Seriously, wtf is wrong with the world these days...

OMG! Now this is getting crazy. and yes it's been on for a very long time and now people are upset.

I'm sorry but every nationality has some funny things about them and if we can't laugh and joke about it, what is the world coming to?

I think it's worse to take the character out of the cartoon now since he's been on forever.

Did they take a poll and ask fans of the show?

OH well, there goes another character.

I dont give a fuck one way or the other about this and I think they made the wrong choice as I stated in earlier post, but I do care about the rhetorical aspects of the conversation. Its quickly become a widespread default position that a concept is said to be new to history if its new to a group of people today. Please note: the talking point that '____________ was fine back in the day and now all of a sudden people care' 9 times out of 10 only means that the concerns are something you've been ignorant of until social media came along. In this case, watch the documentary that led to this before assuming no one cared back in the day. You are simply finally hearing voices that a stratified society shielded you from before. Don't fear 'new' conversations so much!

Just 2 minutes and 6 seconds of your time could have prevented one from speaking out of turn by claiming erroneously that 'no one cared until now' without knowing the first thing about the arguments:

Edited by soon

17 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

A few months from now, they will complain that there is not enough diversity in the Simpsons.

I have already seen people whining that getting rid of Apu is "erasure" and racist. The only non-racist solution was changing the character to be exactly how the morons who made the documentary wanted him to be

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Being an absolute fanny however?

In a world where one of the key problems is fundamentalism or whatever stripe I think being liberal is about the most important thing we can do, it should not be allowed to become a dirty word.  The reason our culture here (and ones similar to it) are in any way enviable is because of the freedoms that liberals mindsets have afforded us. 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

In a world where one of the key problems is fundamentalism or whatever stripe I think being liberal is about the most important thing we can do, it should not be allowed to become a dirty word.  The reason our culture here (and ones similar to it) are in any way enviable is because of the freedoms that liberals mindsets have afforded us. 

I'm of a historical enough persuasion to associate liberalism with empire, Palmerstonian ''gun boat'' diplomacy, the three ''cs'', and such like. That was what liberalism entailed once upon a time.