Axl's 90s net worth

On 10/27/2018 at 5:38 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree with you that it just be an algorithm. Just for perspective Axls net worth has been listed as 150 million since 2007. And I know he was close to broke for his standard of living for minute in the late 2000’s.

You know he was close to bankrupt? Riiiiight

On 10/27/2018 at 5:29 PM, The Holographic Universe said:

You could be correct in your assumption. Slash stated in his book that for Axl to keep his Malibu mansion he would need to extend the UYI tour.

The Zillow real estate app says the approx value of Axl’s home is $6.2 million and that he paid $3.6 million for it in 1992.  Looks like he pays $60,000 annually in property taxes.   Living in California isn’t cheap.  I have a friend who lives near Axl, same road.  She and her husband have a little farm house with chickens and shit in the yard.   That little home is worth $1,600,000.  

1 hour ago, Eddie Money said:

The Zillow real estate app says the approx value of Axl’s home is $6.2 million and that he paid $3.6 million for it in 1992.  Looks like he pays $60,000 annually in property taxes.   Living in California isn’t cheap.  I have a friend who lives near Axl, same road.  She and her husband have a little farm house with chickens and shit in the yard.   That little home is worth $1,600,000.  

If axl paid 3.6million in 92 then the band must have really been making some money and axl probably making more from songwriting and publishing royalties coming through. The illusion tour wasnt making money they were probably lucky to break even.

9 hours ago, Eddie Money said:

Axl gave an interview for Kurt Loder in August of 1990 from his Malibu mansion.

41 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Axl gave an interview for Kurt Loder in August of 1990 from his Malibu mansion.

No, he gave that interview from the home he shared with Erin at Hollywood Hills. 

https://la.curbed.com/2009/11/9/10528428/what-it-sold-for-axl-roses-former-abode

Edited by IndiannaRose

With all the rumors that the UYI tour was a bust for the band so to speak due to the excess spending on crazy things you have to remember that they sold so many million copies of AFD and redone the contract before UYI where released to the 2nd  best contract geffen ever gave any music artist other  was I think is was don henly or clapton not for sure may have been someone else. Niven said who it was in an interview thats on youtube  and said he would send them $1 so they where the highest paid geffen artist. There was something in that artist contract that they would be the labels highest paid musician. Don't know if he was talking out his ass or speaking the truth.

They made but loads of money off album sales in the late 80's and early 90's. Unlike today when for the most part album sales are not a huge source of income and that's why concert tickets are so damn high for most bands. I know the NILT ticket prices where very high but if you are a big name band like metallica and others that can still sell concert tickets that is where the money is at.

So basically alot of people will not spend the $ on the album but will spend big bucks to go to there concerts. 

These net worth estimates include so many things and most of them are best guess because net worth of a brand like GNR how do you get a solid number for that. Yes it is worth alot more now with the NITLT tour that number has increased by leaps and bounds. If Axl is the sole or majority owner of the GNR brand then he is raking in cash he is getting the biggest boost in net worth that anyone else in the band. I know this has been a subject of debate as to who owns what as far as the GNR brand and it may have all changed when they negotiated the reunion. 

Then there is all the properties they own, homes, cars or any assets they have for that matter.

It is not just based on how much cash money they have on hand. 

Edited by bigcountry

On 10/29/2018 at 11:47 AM, lukepowell1988 said:

Right I have a question about all this ... Never really understood it when they say someone is worth X amount what does it actually mean?

Like they obviously don't have that amount just sat in there current account so does this include property values ect?

It does not include your primary residence. You add up the value of all liquid assets (cash, stocks, bonds, cars, second homes, investment property, etc.) then subtract debt.

What gets tricky is the value of things like a share of guns n' roses. Obviously, you can't sell the band like a normal business. The value is higher with Axl in the band than if he sold his share and left because then the only value is in the back catalog. So for his net worth, if he wants to brag he'd use the value of the band with him a part of it but in reality the liquid asset is the value without him.

That $150 million figure has been floating around for 15 years or more, so it's either false to start with or has gone up a ton in the last 2.5 years.

Also I don't see why anyone would believe that figure would be so false ? What reason ? $150mil seems reasonable for Axl. Anyone else I would question, but not Axl.

Also I would guess his mansion is worth a lot more than $6 mil now. Considering the time that has passed and updates to the estate. In my area I have houses worth that much that are a fraction of the size and not in a prime location, nor are they the former home of a famous rockstar.

Also what real proof do we have that Guns was not making money from the illusion tour? that sounds a bit far-fetched to me. I know Axl was certainty not making the tour as earnings "efficient" as he could of but I find it really hard to believe they were not profiting big when it was all said and done.

Edited by amacfantasy

mortgages are public record.  In 2007 Axl took two mortgages out on his Malibu mansion for 5.525m and 500k via Washington Mutual Bank, totaling 6.025m. If his house is worth 5-6m, he has little to no equity in it.  These 150m figures are made up by websites that base it off of record sales and concert ticket sales and their algorithm of what they think an artist brought in, it doesnt take into account what an artist spent at all, or any debt.  They are basically saying gnr sold 100m albums and Axl prob got $1 off each album plus he did X much touring and got X amount of money from touring.  It is all made up and way off.  If Axl was worth 150m, he wouldnt have to mortgage his Malibu house to the gills in 2007, he would have the cash, which he clearly didnt.  I think in 2007 he was strapped for cash obviously.  With all the touring from 2009-2014 and gnr reunion in 2016 I am sure he has plenty of cash and paid off those mortgages and any other debt and probably has a nice 50-70m in his bank account along with Slash and Duff.  Rockstars are elevated into a world most people cant fathom, but he doesnt have 150m in cash that he can just light on fire if he wanted.  As the reunion rolls on, he might get there though.

2 hours ago, Liva said:

mortgages are public record.  In 2007 Axl took two mortgages out on his Malibu mansion for 5.525m and 500k via Washington Mutual Bank, totaling 6.025m. If his house is worth 5-6m, he has little to no equity in it.  These 150m figures are made up by websites that base it off of record sales and concert ticket sales and their algorithm of what they think an artist brought in, it doesnt take into account what an artist spent at all, or any debt.  They are basically saying gnr sold 100m albums and Axl prob got $1 off each album plus he did X much touring and got X amount of money from touring.  It is all made up and way off.  If Axl was worth 150m, he wouldnt have to mortgage his Malibu house to the gills in 2007, he would have the cash, which he clearly didnt.  I think in 2007 he was strapped for cash obviously.  With all the touring from 2009-2014 and gnr reunion in 2016 I am sure he has plenty of cash and paid off those mortgages and any other debt and probably has a nice 50-70m in his bank account along with Slash and Duff.  Rockstars are elevated into a world most people cant fathom, but he doesnt have 150m in cash that he can just light on fire if he wanted.  As the reunion rolls on, he might get there though.

Just thinking about this. The other band members are just taking their cash and dont have the overheads axl does which is mainly TB so they would as band management take their 20 or 30% cut. Then you have del, djzzy,frank and melissa. Im under the impression duff and slash probably have thier own individual cut separately.  Wonder if any of TB have other family members on the guns payroll. Just think when axl gets out of bed he has to make money for them as well as himself. Fuck that.

Didn't Axl back in the 2006-2007 period buy a painting that was like 1 point some million and there was some debate between him and the seller about not paying enough. Also Axl bought a Enzo Ferrari back in those 2-3 year period that was like 650-700k or so I think. There are lots of business strategies to exploit stuff. I suspect Axl is worth/was worth a lot more than people think. You can look at that house mortgage as meaning something but I don't think it meant much. Remember especially in the dark periods and even till today the Entertainment world would love to exploit Axl and have him do stuff that could of made him money ESPECIALLY back in the 90's early 2000's  remember how desperate MTV wanted him for anything. Seb Bach spoke about this back when him and Axl had that reuniting in 2006. I think he eluded to the fact how different organizations and media wanted anything from Axl because of him historically not giving anything and he could of sold out to make easy big bucks but he never did, and I think part of that is Axl has a lot more money and well off more than we realize.

And for all this solo Axl touring didn't Axl just pay his bang a salary which means Axl was banking a lot better from touring in those days than one would think because it wasn't a traditional band setup distribution wise he was really a solo act right lol.

Edited by amacfantasy

4 hours ago, amacfantasy said:

Didn't Axl back in the 2006-2007 period buy a painting that was like 1 point some million and there was some debate between him and the seller about not paying enough. Also Axl bought a Enzo Ferrari back in those 2-3 year period that was like 650-700k or so I think. There are lots of business strategies to exploit stuff. I suspect Axl is worth/was worth a lot more than people think. You can look at that house mortgage as meaning something but I don't think it meant much. Remember especially in the dark periods and even till today the Entertainment world would love to exploit Axl and have him do stuff that could of made him money ESPECIALLY back in the 90's early 2000's  remember how desperate MTV wanted him for anything. Seb Bach spoke about this back when him and Axl had that reuniting in 2006. I think he eluded to the fact how different organizations and media wanted anything from Axl because of him historically not giving anything and he could of sold out to make easy big bucks but he never did, and I think part of that is Axl has a lot more money and well off more than we realize.

And for all this solo Axl touring didn't Axl just pay his bang a salary which means Axl was banking a lot better from touring in those days than one would think because it wasn't a traditional band setup distribution wise he was really a solo act right lol.

I wonder fir for the illusions records  whether axl was getting the majority of rcording and publishing royalties. I seem to think alot of the recording royalties were going his way.