1989: Debate on GnR in the Lafayette newspaper

Love how in the 4th clip the letter by Lana Thompson starts like a Seinfeld joke "Whats the deal with Guns N' Roses?" :lol:

The boring observations of a Christian:

Spoiler

I think many of these folks heads would explode if they walked in to a church today to see a heavy metal band leading the praise. Imo all these existential questions are important for Christianity (prolly other faiths but how would I know?). In a town like Layfette in 1989 looks like Christian discourse took place in the secular newspaper. That seems odd. But at least they weren't all fire and brimstone, they were writing for one anothers' edification. Well, some got into conspiracy theory and its funny to think about people loosing sleep over the haunting of a 12 year old girl with an inverted cross, using rock music to defile the towns sons, lol.

Of course in many faiths music is very central and tradition is important. So a discussion about how and where music is consumed in relation to a spiritual path isn't hard to imagine. In Christianity, this is compounded by the fact that some Christians point to a handful of lines in the Hebrew Scriptures to suggest that Lucifer was Gods musical praise leader before being cast out of heaven. It's all a little more piecemeal then I prefer my exegesis to say the least, though. Lets just say Lucifer certainly had a tambourine, lol. None the less, the late 80's was when this angle on Scripture went mainstream in the church. They're saying 'music is important to God. Music is so precious that it lets us offer praise to God. But music is also (allegedly) something that Lucifer is a master of. And Lucifer is using it to praise wickedness and the self. So how then does the Christian relate to these realities?'

It's so strange to see in the local news and I don't agree with 99% of the points made, but its fascinating to get a glimpse into a time and place where these conversations happened in this way.

Edited by soon

10 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

In 1989 you had to seek out and find, then read what idiots had to say.

In 2018 you have to make a great effort to avoid what idiots have to say.   Idiots are in the phone, on the internet and 24/7 on the news.

I miss the old days.  Respect to the people in the newspaper articles above though:

1. They had to write a letter.

2. They had to address the letter.

Today you just have to make duck lips and type "wut"

This^^

• Like 1

these letters are great! Definitely a time that's passed. Maybe not the thought that certain music is from the devil. I'm sure people still claim that but gone are the days of writing letters to newspapers. Now it's a quick post on social media 😞

I do remember when I traveled thru Lafayette that there were no signs proclaiming to be the childhood home of Axl and Izzy which was common in small town America. 

Those small town extremely conservative views make me agitated. Argh. I can’t stand to read those. "The devil"! How bloody ridiculous. I know it’s America and the 80s and Indiana and whatnot. Still can’t stand to read those little minds. And then imagining growing up there. I would be the one to pack my car with everything that’s dear to me and move to Cali asap!!!

1 hour ago, Kwick1 said:

these letters are great! Definitely a time that's passed. Maybe not the thought that certain music is from the devil. I'm sure people still claim that but gone are the days of writing letters to newspapers. Now it's a quick post on social media 😞

I do remember when I traveled thru Lafayette that there were no signs proclaiming to be the childhood home of Axl and Izzy which was common in small town America. 

I drive through Sheryl Crow's hometown occasionally and they  have the proclamation on the city limit sign "Hometown of Sheryl Crow". Although it did take many years for them to do so, I assume it's a beaurecratic thing. They could use Axl and Izzy's real names just to confuse people, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

Those small town extremely conservative views make me agitated. Argh. I can’t stand to read those. "The devil"! How bloody ridiculous. I know it’s America and the 80s and Indiana and whatnot. Still can’t stand to read those little minds. And then imagining growing up there. I would be the one to pack my car with everything that’s dear to me and move to Cali asap!!!

The 80s? People still think like that in many small towns around the world.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Legendador said:

I think that kind of thinking isn't only in small towns. I think it's everywhere. I don't know if to the same extent but it still exist. I'm remembering an interview with Axl where he was talking about the closed mindedness of IN and that it certainly wasn't like LA, NY. He threw some other places in there but also included Texas. I think Axl always kinda liked Texas but Texas in the late 80's was not open minded unless it was Austin and maybe Galveston. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Loool! I remember that furry coat from somewhere... :lol:

So do I. It's a good thing Axl wore a hat during that St. Louis gig instead of devil horns. He could've poked that camera guy's eyes out. Sure that guy was annoying douche nozzle, but he didn't deserve to go blind. 

I'm derailing this thread, maybe I should go to Anything goes...

Edited by Fourteenbeers

1 minute ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Yup. It's a good thing Axl wore a hat during that St. Louis gig instead of devil horns. He could've poked that camera-guy's eyes out. Sure that guy was annoying douche nozzle, but he didn't deserve to go blind. 

I think he stored his hat somewhere safely with a stage tech guy before he jumped. So thoughtful and well carried out! :rofl-lol:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Legendador said:

True, in everywhere this people exist, any country , in small towns people don't to evolve much, people is still  influenced too much for the religion.

• Like 1