Would you agree to extend NILT to a one more leg to make it the highest grossing tour of all time or at this point "enough is enough"?

To be, or not to be...  

199 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For now the massive Not In This Lifetime Tour has grossed $480 million in 2 years (2016-2017), excluding 2018, as the data is still coming. Taking into a consideration that 19-show leg in Europe 2017 has brought about $110 million, it's a safe bet that the one in 2018 also earned something close to $100 million. The upcoming leg in Asia/Africa/Oceania/Hawaii will have only 10 shows, but it includes some big venues (FNB Stadium, Aloha Stadium, Philippine Arena) and pricey cities (Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi), so we may expect at least $4 million per show. Therefore by the end of 2018, NILT will get about $620 million (480 + 100 + 40), what places it above the Rolling Stones and behind U2 in the highest grossing tours of all time chart (not adjusting for an inflation, of course). To compete U2 the tour needs some $120 million more, so we need either a one more complete leg (20-25 shows) to a major makret - Europe or USA (which grossed more than $120 million in 2016), or a trip to a secondary like South America (grossed about $60 million in 2016) with an addition of some shows or damn residency elsewhere (for example a return to Australia, Japan or even Europe arenas tour, which sounds interesting). Also, the tour is just 30 shows shy of beating UYI tour in a number of concerts.   

I know that everyone is fed up and want the work on a new album to start as soon as possible, but let's think unbias - being the highest grosing tour band is also a great achievement. Although, Slash and others in some way said that "the tour has come to an end", GNR plans for 2019 are unknown, so anything is possible. So, the question is, whether you are ready to "endure" a little bit more live shows and try to make NILT the highest grossing of all time, or it has come to its logical and got a fair spot in a financial history?

As for me, I can't give a direct answer. Of course, I'm a bit bias here, as I would like them to be back to Europe and we gonna have some fun here together, but after two full legs here it's hard to believe in it. At the same time I prefer when all things have some logic and consistency and after 3 solid years NILT indeed has come to a logical end. And U2's spot's really hard to get. I really wanted the tour to end with a leg in spring 2019, somehow making it a straigth 3-year run from 01.04.2016 to 01.04.2019 but as a Slash got this time, it's not gonna happen. So, at this point I will respect any decision from the band. Though, at the bottom of my heart I'd like to seem them live in 2019 in some sort anyway, maybe on a festival or a couple of shows. As Slash said that many ideas come to him during touring and as a band have not the best studio work retrospective, it's quite possible that a frequent touring is essential for a new album success.

What's your thought on this?  

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 1

I would say leave it for the sake of hitting an arbitrary number. It's a massive achievement to be where they are in that list and as you said once '18 data is added they'll be even further up. The market isn't properly ready for more legs in the markets they've hit I don't think. They massively down scaled the 2nd US run, and Europe '18 was great for me as I loved the opportunity to go for two summers, but some of the shows on that run had a lot of unsold tickets, especially in countries they'd hit in 2017. I think this leg is a nice "lets wrap this up and hit the far reaching destinations to say we've been pretty much everywhere on the map" kinda thing.

• Like 3

I'd rather the band end the tour this leg and focus on racking their brains for the motivation to make new music.

This is a band that hasn't released anything truly new studio-wise in a decade now. I, and many other fans, don't want them to become a touring nostalgia jukebox like the Stones, even though they're already well on their way (and the Stones at least released a new album in the last 3 years).

• Like 1

They've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they're one of the great acts of all-time, even with only 60% of the original lineup. The 'Not In This Lifetime' tour is going to rank as probably the second largest reunion tour in history, next to that of The Eagles in 1994. That said, there isn't really much reason to continue it into 2019, unless money is their sole reason for doing it.

Time to finish the tour, sit down and collaborate on some new music, and record it. Create some buzz in 2019 by teasing new music, maybe dropping a new tune into a movie, and then unleashing a full album in the latter half of next year. It's the logical next step, but as we know, the history of the band has been anything but logical in a number of instances.

• Like 1

They're not going to release new music anyway. So why is it an issue if they tour endlessly?

Hoping for a new Guns N' Roses album is like buying a lottery ticket every week. It's not happening give it up.

There's been 1 original album released by this band in 27 fuckin years which half of you hate and that was basically recorded in the 90's too. 

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

They have toured relentlessly to reestablish the brand again, and kudos to them. At this stage new music then tour and at the sametime focus on doing something special for a 30th anniversary illusions release.

that would be perfect...

I can't give a yes or no answer. It depends of what another leg will feature. If they come up with different set list and some new songs. Or they bring back the AFD line up. Then yes, I'm all for a nother leg. But if on the other hand they keep going with the exactly same shows we've seen over the last two years. I'm not interested in another leg.

Call it a day. Take a year off and announce something new. This tour has been going on for about a year too long in my opinion. I’m happy for the people who’s regions got to see them twice if they wanted to but other than that there’s been been no purpose.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII

It would be great to be #1 all time, but when you realize how U2 got to that number, I'd rather just move on. I mean U2's 360 tour filled ENTIRE stadiums across the whole tour. Playing more like a Superbowl half-time show, with the stage in the middle of the field/stadium than a normal arena or stadium setup. Which gives you a greater number of concert-goers and a greater revenue with less shows. I want everyone to be on the same page. Also Izzy

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Let Slash tour with Myles for a year and then regroup in 2020 with Matt Sorum for a Use Your Illusion 30th anniversary re-release/tour in 2021

Slash needs to tour his album cause after a decent debut on the billboard 200, it's gone into free falling mode..think its still falling now.

2 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Let Slash tour with Myles for a year and then regroup in 2020 with Matt Sorum for a Use Your Illusion 30th anniversary re-release/tour in 2021

Sounds awesome to me.  Matt Sorum needs to rejoin real Gn'R, his replacement is the worst part of the reunion -- and I don't mind Melissa at all.

• Like 1