Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 90 - Michael Monroe, Hanoi Rocks

Just listening to it. Michael Monroe is amazing. I knew Hanoi Rocks was an influence to early GnR but I never knew a lot about him. Listening to him, I think he is very charismatic. Also he never stops talking, lol. I know he has the same age as Axl and Izzy but he seems like an adorable and charismatic old man. I mean it in a good way. I’d love to listen to him talking all day.

And he appreciates Izzy’s songwriting and Steven’s drumming and his chemistry especially! Yay to Michael.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

I actually haven't listened to your podcast in a while.  Nothing against the quality of the podcast, just busy with a newborn at home!  I'll make sure to check this one out.  In my opinion Ain't It Fun is THE gem of TSI.  

It is. Slash is amazing on it, and even if Axl oversings a bit (he does that quite often on the album), it works perfectly.

5 hours ago, WAR41 said:
5 hours ago, WAR41 said:

I actually haven't listened to your podcast in a while.  Nothing against the quality of the podcast, just busy with a newborn at home!  I'll make sure to check this one out.  In my opinion Ain't It Fun is THE gem of TSI.  

Agreed about Ain't is fun.

Just finished the episode this morning.  Great interview.  A totally genuine guy.  I like Hanoi Rocks but am not a super fan.  Was cool to hear that he lived on the Lower East Side with Stiv Bators.  I've lived on the LES for over 10 years now and can only imagine what it was like back in the 70's, 80's and beginning of the 90's.  I love punk/hardcore so it would have been a field day for me. Sadly so many of those old venues he mentioned (CBGBs, The Ritz aka Webster Hall) are long gone. 

• Like 2

This was a nice interview.  The reasons why I've originally been interested in Hanoi Rocks are that they are from the same country as I am and their influence on Gn'R.  I like Michael M. as a performer a lot, he is so energetic and still keeps going. Also despite of being a rocker, he shows many traits that aren't very rock star like (like his attitude towards groupies and he doesn't have ego the size of a planet) .

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

This was a nice interview.  The reasons why I've originally been interested in Hanoi Rocks are that they are from the same country as I am and their influence on Gn'R.  I like Michael M. as a performer a lot, he is so energetic and still keeps going. Also despite of being a rocker, he shows many traits that aren't very rock star like (like his attitude towards groupies and he doesn't have ego the size of a planet) .

Is his attitude towards groupies believable? Like him and the boys in the 80s? On sunset strip? I really don’t know... lol.