Shooting at Thousand Oaks Borderline Bar and Grill - 12 Dead

AxlRoseCDII

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/nation/2018/11/08/multiple-injuries-reported-bar-shooting-thousand-oaks-calif/

This happened not less than 5 miles from my house. Friends I knew were there and people I indirectly knew are now dead. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

• Sad 7

Those frequent shootings really freak me out. And I live in Europe. There is no way I’d ever move to the US with my kids, even if there was the best job offer ever. (Recently discussed that with a friend, that’s why I bring it up.)

Get your shitty gun laws in order, people. This is not normal. It is not freaking normal for people dying because of psychopath getting hold of guns too easily. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

41 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/nation/2018/11/08/multiple-injuries-reported-bar-shooting-thousand-oaks-calif/

This happened not less than 5 miles from my house. Friends I knew were there and people I indirectly knew are now dead. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected.

I'm really sorry to hear about the losses in your social circle. That's devastating.

Hope all other mygnr folks, their friends and family are safe and accounted for.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'm so sorry you lost friends to yet another senseless shooting.

I honestly don't know what to say anymore. It's just too sad to comprehend losing a friend to violence.

The shooter was an ex-marine and had mental issues.  The US military is dropping the ball when it comes to helping ex military soldiers to adjust to being back home. You send them to fight in wars and then expect them to adjust on their own to regular life. it's not fair to them nor the victims they leave in their wake.

All I do is shake my head in despair when I hear news like this.

1 minute ago, Tori72 said:

Well put, Duff.

I agree well said. Just sorry that anyone has to say "sorry" yet again for another shooting.

I wish saying "love" would make the world a better place. All we can do is hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dear friend who lives in Tallahassee just lost a friend in the „Yoga Shooting“. She’s been going to that yoga school for years and years. (She was not present, when the shooting happened fortunately.) Still, all of a sudden all this was very close for me too, because I felt for my friend. 

Also, I feel for you @AxlRoseCDII, I’m so sorry you lost friends. This is just so sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really don't know how to react anymore. I'm very sympathetic for the victims and it's a horrific (that word doesn't even do it justice) thing to hear about every other day but I'm not surprised anymore. Nothing is gonna get done about it either because there's too much corruption and infighting with our government. The people in power know the right thing to do but they won't do it because they're only out for themselves. It's only a matter of time before the media turns this tragedy into a political shitshow. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

The people in power know the right thing to do but they won't do it because they're only out for themselves. It's only a matter of time before the media turns this tragedy into a political shitshow. 

Well, US citizens simply have to vote for politicians who run on a platform of restricting gun access. You have to put the right politicians in power.

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, US citizens simply have to vote for politicians who run on a platform of restricting gun access. You have to put the right politicians in power.

I agree with you but even if we do that nothing is going to get done. The second it gets brought up in congress, there's always a ton of infighting and it eventually gets forgotten or swept under the rug

26 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I agree with you but even if we do that nothing is going to get done. The second it gets brought up in congress, there's always a ton of infighting and it eventually gets forgotten or swept under the rug

Yes, because many of you have voted for politicians who are opposed to gun control. My point is: If the American people truly want tighter gun control, they will elect the right politicians and it will get done. It is a cop-out by US citizens to blame the politicians for it not happening. They are only in office because you have elected them.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

California has all kind of restrictions when it comes to access to guns. Yet shit happens. The capacity the weapon had was illegal. How come this guy still was able to get it? I guess since he was an ex Marine some restriction don't apply. I don't know.

1 hour ago, Padme said:

California has all kind of restrictions when it comes to access to guns. Yet shit happens. The capacity the weapon had was illegal. How come this guy still was able to get it? I guess since he was an ex Marine some restriction don't apply. I don't know.

Inconsequent restrictions then... There are other countries with ex-marines, too, still there aren’t as many shootings.... Why nations cannot learn from other nation’s laws, rules, systems, is something I'll never understand. That’s true for my country, too, on other topics though. This is so frustrating.

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Inconsequent restrictions then... There are other countries with ex-marines, too, still there aren’t as many shootings.... Why nations cannot learn from other nation’s laws, rules, systems, is something I'll never understand. That’s true for my country, too, on other topics though. This is so frustrating.

I'm just speculating. Maybe there are loopholes in some of the restrictions laws. I really don't know

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

_100782942_gun_comparison_640_v2-nc.png

Surprising about the highness of Canada there.

Yes, its sad. Theres plenty of guns, offering plenty of opportunity. Our overall homicide rate at 1.68/100,000 is much lower than US at 5.35/100,000. Ours is comparable to the UK at 1.2/100,000. All 2016 numbers.

Additionally, there's a lot of Gun deaths that aren't homicides.

rZbqpkI.jpg

Kilings by shooting is on the rise in Canada. I live in the city with the 4th highest rate of gun violence and here its a lot of youth gangs and spousal assault. A lot of seized guns where I live have been smuggled in from US or stolen from houses. There's incidents of Settler gun violence from time to time in Canada.

We had a recent spree shooting and another infamous mass shooting in the 80's which targeted women. But so far spree shootings are rare in Canada.

sGS5LU1.jpg

"The use of handguns, specifically, has also been on the rise.

There were 130 homicides committed with a handgun in 2016, Statistics Canada said in a recent report, which was the most in more than a decade.

Handguns accounted for 21 per cent of the total homicides that year, and 58 per cent of the shooting homicides.

In the United States, by comparison, the report notes there were 7,105 homicides committed with a handgun in 2016, accounting for 47 per cent of all homicides south of the border that year."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canada-gun-facts-crime-accidental-shootings-suicides-1.4803378

But not to derail, back to the Thousand Oaks tragedy.

Edited by soon

So heartbreaking to hear and see the parents who lost loved ones pleading for better gun control.

Seeing the faces of the victims was terrible. I don't know what it will take to stop this violence?

I saw an interview about the shooter and the police and doctors did visit him, but deemed him okay and not a threat to himself or others. Guess they got that so damn wrong.

Sometimes it's hard for any doctor to decide about a person's mental state. They can only go by what you tell them and how you act. Maybe at that time, he was okay. I just don't know anymore.

I'm sorry for the loss of life yet again.