Malibu orders evacuation due to fire

TheSeeker

38 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait. What? Did I miss something? How is Axl "sticking it to the man"?? 

By definition, the man is a slang word for the people that run the country, and sticking it to someone is speaking out against them. So if Axl is speaking out against Trump, then he is sticking it to the man. It makes sense in my head anyway.

If something has killed 30 people, with 200 missing, should it not be emergency with the extra funding that comes with it? If it's flooding or a storm somewhere else the US normally do it, from an outside the US news perspective anyway. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Original said:

The photos are crazy.  Even if ones house survived who would want to stay?  Whole area going to stink of smoke and everything (vegetation) is dead.  Probably going to have epic flooding next time it rains. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/11/photos-woolsey-fire-leaves-devastation-malibu-california/575578/

I guess that Axl is in contact with LA all time.Neil Young lost his house too ,and rip Trump too.

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

That's because there's an assumed hypocrisy in Slash advocating teetotalism

To add to your point (which I agree with) that while there is a perceived hypocrisy in the example about SLASH, there's also the avenue of SLASH being an experienced person to speak about said topic. When addicts go to rehab, it's former addicts that sponsor them and/or give the speeches about how to recover and avoid using. When juvenile delinquents are 'scared straight', it's current or former convicts that preach not to go down the road they did. Conversely, when young teens start to learn about sex ed, they don't want to hear about it from a nun that's sworn to celibacy and has no 1st person frame of reference. It's always customary to hear things from someone that has walked the path -- rightly or wrongly.

But in the case of AXL, you're spot on. There shouldn't be any perceived hypocrisy regarding his comments on the forests/fires or even politics. However, if/when he chastises 45 over boorish and/or unprofessional behavior, that would certainly be hypocritical. Except for the fact that AXL looks as though he'd apply to what I stated above. He's a guy that has seemingly cleaned up his act (not tardy, ranting, or inciting violence anymore) and could advise others why not to go down the road he did many years ago. As long as he continues to toe the line with his behavior in the here and now, I don't believe he'd be hypocritical in pointing out someone else's poor behavior. Same with SLASH. Considering he's been sober and smoke free for years now, he's ok to preach about the virtues of not going down that road (should he ever do that) as far as I'm concerned. Those that made the mistakes but reformed are usually the best teachers.

Edited by thunderram

48 minutes ago, thunderram said:

However, if/when he chastises 45 over boorish and/or unprofessional behavior, that would certainly be hypocritical. 

No. It's not. Axl is a "stupid" rock star, only responsible for himself. Trump is the president of the USA. A person, who should serve the people of the USA. A person, who should be a leading example. And as that, even a "stupid" rock star can call him out, without looking like a hypocrite. And as you said, Axl has cleaned up his act for the most part.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mysteron said:

By definition, the man is a slang word for the people that run the country, and sticking it to someone is speaking out against them. So if Axl is speaking out against Trump, then he is sticking it to the man. It makes sense in my head anyway.

If something has killed 30 people, with 200 missing, should it not be emergency with the extra funding that comes with it? If it's flooding or a storm somewhere else the US normally do it, from an outside the US news perspective anyway. 

I'm well aware of the definition of "sticking it to the man". What I asked was how exactly Axl is doing that. All he's doing is running his mouth on Twitter, which literally anyone can do. "Sticking it to the man" usually requires some sort of actual action. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm well aware of the definition of "sticking it to the man". What I asked was how exactly Axl is doing that. All he's doing is running his mouth on Twitter, which literally anyone can do. "Sticking it to the man" usually requires some sort of actual action. 

Ok, I'll just say that, in my opinion, Axl running his mouth is a good thing. Whereas you normally see these things declared an emergency, Trump posted something else and Axl responded. As other have said, he does live in the area so should be allowed to voice an opinion at the very least.

I hope that clarifies what I mean

14 minutes ago, cineater said:

gigger?  Still trying, still can't figure it out.  :lol:  That's not where it's coming from.  I'm not part of your board games, just here following the band.

Please don't imply that individual lives in Malibu when you know it's not the case

28 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Best place? That's certainly debatable, what are you basing that on?

Well to me it is. Lives by the beach, on the State of California (which to me is also the best state in the US, of course it's expensive though). Good weather, good food, good wine... To me it's the best place to live in the US, or at least that is my impression.

Plus he has Las Vegas, Mexico and Hawaii at a fairly close distance, which is always nice for vacations.

I live in Portugal, part of my country, or should I say the place where I live kinda looks like an older, antique/vintage California. Meaning it's not so modern, doesn't have the modern LA part of the town, but it has the palm trees, the beaches and everything else, so I kind of identify myself with that area of the US. We even have a bridge just like the San Francisco one:

13239808523_51f5ea316b_b.jpg?fit=1024,60

Lisbon_Bridge-1400x788.jpg

*Sorry for getting out of the topic, just friendly talk

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

55 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Unlike “anyone”,  people pay attention to what he has to say. His words carry more weight than some random twitter egg. Artists certainly have used their voice beforehand in certain situations and this is no different

Now you may certainly disagree with his stance and what he has to say. However, he certainly hasn’t been a stranger to voicing opinions publicly beforehand. Axl’s “rants” have been a part of the band/public life for decades

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

Ok, I'll just say that, in my opinion, Axl running his mouth is a good thing. Whereas you normally see these things declared an emergency, Trump posted something else and Axl responded. As other have said, he does live in the area so should be allowed to voice an opinion at the very least.

I hope that clarifies what I mean

I hear ya. I just get uppity about this because Axl ranting on Twitter really doesn't mean all that much. However, he COULD put those opinions into the lyrics of GN'R songs and a whole lot more people would take notice.

1 minute ago, guitarpatch said:

Unlike “anyone”,  people pay attention to what he has to say. His words carry more weight than some random twitter egg. Artists certainly have used their voice beforehand in certain situations and this is no different

Now you may certainly disagree with his stance and what he has to say. However, he certainly hasn’t been a stranger to voicing opinions publicly beforehand. Axl’s “rants” have been a part of the band for decades

I honestly don't care one way or the other about politics. I'm not saying what I'm saying because I disagree with Axl. I neither agree with nor disagree with him. I just made a post so I'm not sure if the forum will merge it, but just in case, here's the part that applies to what you're saying: Axl ranting on Twitter really doesn't mean all that much. However, he COULD put those opinions into the lyrics of GN'R songs and a whole lot more people would take notice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I hear ya. I just get uppity about this because Axl ranting on Twitter really doesn't mean all that much. However, he COULD put those opinions into the lyrics of GN'R songs and a whole lot more people would take notice.

I honestly don't care one way or the other about politics. I'm not saying what I'm saying because I disagree with Axl. I neither agree with nor disagree with him. I just made a post so I'm not sure if the forum will merge it, but just in case, here's the part that applies to what you're saying: Axl ranting on Twitter really doesn't mean all that much. However, he COULD put those opinions into the lyrics of GN'R songs and a whole lot more people would take notice.

If it lights a spark for a reason to say something new, that’d be great. It seems like his songwriting comes from life experiences. Whether that’s living on the street, the perils of fame, or decades worth of writing about overcoming breakups

Hearing a record centered around his new experiences or views with what’s going on around him would certainly be something else if that’s the direction